The Tale Of Nemo (and My First Weekend Without Him)

Nemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[Fair warning: this post is long, and much of it is "stream of thought", so there may be some repetition, overlap, or "disjointedness"]

Some of you know I first introduced myself to this forum last week, right after having to euthanize my cat, Nemo. This is my first full weekend without him, and it's been very hard for me. You see, I work Monday-Friday at a day job, and on many weekends I would spend a lot of time decompressing from the stressful work-week. Nemo was a big part of that. He would spend hours curled in my lap as I sat at my computer desk in the spare bedroom/office surfing the web, watching hulu/netflix, etc. If I went outside, Nemo would invariably find me and "hang out" with me while I did whatever it was that I was doing.

Nemo was the most unique cat I've ever encountered. It's like he really knew what he had gained when he found us and was filled with gratitude. From what I saw, he made the most of his time with us. He played, he snoozed in my lap (or on/next to me while I slept), and when I wasn't at work, he wanted to spend every waking moment close to me. If I took a walk in the neighborhood, Nemo just had to come with me, and he would "talk" to me while we wandered. In some ways he was part dog. Nemo knew the sound of my personal car and my work truck. My wife told me that she always knew when I had arrived home because when I pulled in, Nemo would jump up out of a dead sleep and make a beeline for the front door, where he would be waiting for me when I entered. Sometimes, he would already be outside exploring, and would climb up onto my vehicle once I pulled up to our house, often trying to get inside the vehicle with me! If I used the bathroom (such as to get ready for work), Nemo would try desperately to get in so he could be with me. I remember many times brushing my teeth with him sitting demurely on the counter, watching me.

So, this weekend has been a real struggle for me. Everywhere I turn at home, I feel an emptiness and a sense of profound loss so deep that at times it takes my breath away and I start to cry. I'm a guy, 49 years old, and it has been a very long time since I have cried as hard as I have this past week and this weekend.

I had to help euthanize my wife's cat back in 2010, who she had raised from a kitten. When we got married, her cat, Oswald, didn't like me much. But within a couple of months he and I had become buddies, and had formed a good relationship. I did cry when we had to put him to sleep. But with Nemo it is so much more intense. He and I fit together like hand-in-glove. It's like we were meant to find each other. (I think part of this stems from the fact that I often look at myself as a "damaged" or "broken" person, and Nemo was a "damaged" or "broken" cat. Lots of stuff for a psychiatrist to unpack there, I'm sure!). Even with the remaining two cats in our household, Puffin and Klause (who we refer to as the "Fluffy Boyz" because of their long hair), starting to show some measure of attention to me, I still miss Nemo terribly. I truly wish I could have raised him from a kitten rather than us finding each other later in his life.

We first encountered him back in 2009 when we moved into a new neighborhood where he was just one of many cats that some next door neighbors had, and they hardly paid attention to him. He had a misaligned jaw from having been hit in the head as a younger cat. Fortunately it had apparently healed in a way that did not cause him pain. Nemo was happy and energetic, and though it was somewhat awkward for him to eat and drink, he made it work. He was quite fastidious and took very good care of his coat.

From 2009 until early 2015, Nemo would hang out in our yard and we would put food out for him. We had a garage with a man door on the side, and during the colder months I would leave it ajar so he could go inside for warmth and shelter. I had a chair in the garage that had some old (and soft) sheets and blankets in it, which made for a perfect kitty bed. Nemo LOVED this! When I would go into the garage to play around on my ham radio, Nemo would inevitably end up either on the desk, snoozing next to the warm radio, or snuggled up in my lap. During the summers, Nemo could often be found snoozing under a shady bush next to our front porch.

Finally, in early 2015, things went to the next level. One day I noticed a flat worm coming out of Nemo's backside. While out working, I stopped by a Petco store and got some deworming pills. When I got home that day, we gave him a pill. I don't remember if we had to do it again, but in any event, we never saw another flat worm on him. A few weeks went by and we decided to start letting Nemo in our house. He was thrilled! He explored, he quickly found the litterboxes (we had other cats), and he quickly made himself at home. My wife and I sleep in separate bedrooms because we both snore and tend to keep each other awake. It's one of those things in marriage where you just make adjustments. Anyway, Nemo immediately began the habit of sleeping with me--a habit he continued to follow until he got sick from kidney failure last week. Even then, he slept in the same room with me.

In August of 2015 we were forced to move out of the cozy house we were renting when the owners decided to sell it. A lot was happening in our lives at that time, and we ended up not taking Nemo with us to the new place when we moved. But it really nagged at me that we had left Nemo behind. My wife didn't really care, as we had three other cats and they were her priority. Finally, after a week of guilt, I came back to the old house, which was still empty. I pulled into the driveway, got out of the car, and called Nemo. He had been sleeping under that bush by the front porch, and when he heard me call him, he immediately got up and came trotting over to me, tail up and "talking". I scooped him up, put him in the car with me, and took him to our new home, where he lived happily until last week.

I never dreamed I would ever form such a close bond with an animal, and though I am hurting terribly right now, I am glad that I did.

Rest In Peace, little Nemo.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, this weekend has been a real struggle for me. Everywhere I turn at home, I feel an emptiness and a sense of profound loss so deep that at times it takes my breath away and I start to cry. I'm a guy, 49 years old, and it has been a very long time since I have cried as hard as I have this past week and this weekend.

[...]

I never dreamed I would ever form such a close bond with an animal, and though I am hurting terribly right now, I am glad that I did.
Your life with Nemo is something amazing. And the two passages quoted above tell us all.
Nemo went from a nearly neglected cat from your neighbor to a fully loved cat in your house. You were both meant to meet at the right moment.
And you are meant to meet again in the future. Nemo will jump up from his cloud and run to the Rainbow Bridge when he hears you coming, like he always did.

RIP sweet Nemo :(

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally understand you and your bond with Nemo. I also am a woman in my early 40's but the thought of losing my Bourbon (among my cats!) drive me crazy, considering that I grew up with dogs and only became a "cat person" 3 years ago.

You and Nemo's story is beautiful. From the beginning it was very clear that you belonged together. Of all the many people around, Nemo chose you as his human.

He is eternally grateful for the love, friendship and companionship you bestowed on him. I am sure he would not want you to be sad. Grief does not really go away, it just gets mellow in time. But I pray that one day you will think of him with more of a smile, than of tears.

Hang in there. Nemo watches over you and maybe talking to you in all the ways that he still can.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were destined to be together, and you will always have a tie to his tiny soul. He followed your life's journey for a little while, and though he was called away, he will forever parallel the rest of your path until the two of you will be reunited once more. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and you know your love for each other will live for eternity.
He will forever be as close as your thoughts and prayers. Send him thoughts of love and happiness, not tears, there are enough of those in the world, and he needs to know you will find joy in living once more, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go. Try not to dwell on his death, and the sadness it brings, instead focus on what he brought to your life, like your beautiful tribute above, and bring him peace knowing he did his job, and he did it well.
I wish I could take away your pain. But it is necessary because it is equal to the love you had for that sweet boy. You must be intimate with pain and sorrow to know the true depth of love. My heart goes out to you, I know this pain all too well. Time is the only thing that helps to dull it's sharp edges, and to help you form a new life's journey without him. but teh spirit of his love will always be deep in your heart, held there by the strongest bond of all, love......RIP beautiful Nemo. You will always be dearly missed, you will forever be held in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Nemo, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

What a wonderful bond you were privileged to share with an amazing cat! I know how desperately you must miss his physical presence in your life. I will tell you this, though...it is one of the deepest truths I know. It is that love never dies. It only changes form and continues on, still Love. And Love abides. Always and forever, Love abides. The best part of Nemo, his Love for you, is with you still.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
" I never dreamed that I would form such a close bond with an animal, and though I am hurting terribly right now, I am glad that I did."

I wish every person on this planet could know this feeling. I believe the world would be a much better place for all of us to live in if we could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nemo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my fourth weekend since having to say goodbye to my little buddy, Nemo. Next Tuesday will be exactly four weeks to the day. This past week I managed to make it through the week without crying, though I am still feeling the loss. Our other two cats are being somewhat affectionate with me, but they can't take Nemo's place. They don't have the same personality or close man/cat bond that Nemo and I had. I do love those other kitties, but it isn't the same. Someone up-thread said Nemo was my "soul-cat". I think this is the best description so far of our bond...

One of the things Nemo and I would do on the weekends is kick back at my computer desk and listen to my Pandora station of meditative piano music, often with ocean sounds. I had that station playing just a little while ago, and it triggered all the emotions, the joy, the fun, and the loss. Tears are running down my face even as I type this. The pain is real, and though I'm slowly moving on, the smallest things can trigger the grief all over again. It's so unfair. Nemo was doing fine, and then suddenly, he wasn't. In the space of three days he went from energetic and happy to having to be put to sleep. I was so unprepared for this...

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. What a special bond you had with Nemo. I am so sorry for your loss. Your story sounds so much like my bond with my "soul cat" Blue, who I adopted at 17, and who passed away at 19 two weeks ago. Especially the listening to music together, watching Netflix, curling up after a long week at work, and basically doing everything together. It is so hard to lose someone who has become such an integral part of our lives. Since Blue passed, I am trying to figure out who I am without him while still thinking of him every day and keeping his memory alive. Even if we don't have them for long, it doesn't take long for them to find their way into our hearts. I would not trade the experience of knowing them for anything, but it is a pain like no other when they pass.

Although I know words cannot heal your pain, please know that there are so many people here who understand how you're feeling. We are so lucky to have these little soul mates be such a significant part of our lives. Hang in there and please be comforted by knowing that you and Nemo were both in the right place at the right time to find each other and brighten one another's lives.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finally getting around to responding to this and I am so so sorry that you lost your little buddy with whom you were so very close, I fully understand and am a guy about 10 years older than you but also get so broken up when we lose them especially the two boys Simon a tuxedo and Sebastian a long haired Chantilly, I was just very close to them and I experienced much mental stress when they passed, you can experience ALL kinds of bad things when they pass both mentally and physically so what you are experiencing is "normal" although you wonder how such pain can be considered normal, but when we are so so close to them and lose them things go crazy I know. You and he were buddies like me and Sylvester are buddies, we got him 3 months after Sebastian died in my arms on night after I came home from work and he looks like you combined Simon and Sebastian, a long haired Tuxedo, and he was living in a not so good situation so we helped each other, I tell him "we found each other...in the dark...we helped each other" as we did, and we have the same bond that you and Nemo had and I know when his time is up I'll be a train wreck but hopefully that is years down the line. But my point is, perhaps another "special" one will enter your life when the time is right, but not right now, you need time to grieve him and pay him respects, but you and he had a wonderful partnership, there are no regrets, you helped him and he helped you, and you will see him again one day down the line and it will be wonderful.

When I was so very upset about Sebastian dying my friend who works at a health food store told me about the herb Holy Basil, it helps you deal with the stress while keeping a clear mind, you know the stress is still there but you can handle it better. And the homeopathic pills Ignatia Amara that you put under your tongue are great at helping you overcome acute trauma and grief, just pour the pills into the lid (don't touch them) and let them dissolve under your tongue without eating for about 1/2 hour before or after taking them. These things both work and have no side effects, just take them as directed, more is not better.

I hope that you start to feel better soon, I know how devastating it is, you feel like you too will die and don't half care if you do, but it DOES get better, it takes time, let the tears and sadness out, it takes time but life does get better.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart: