The Stray I “adopted” Has A Bleeding Paw!

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s a sweet tabby gentleman that I took in after his owners moved away & left him. He came in tonight with a swollen front paw, actively bleeding from it. It looks like he tore the interior between the claw pads but I can’t tell for sure because he won’t let me touch him. I don’t have a car but my best friend came over to help me get him to the emergency vet. My carrier is a small soft-sided one & he’s too big (and too hurt) to shove into it so my friend had him wrapped in a towel. We almost made it to the car & he freaked out; scratched her arms and ran away. I can’t find him now & I’ve lost the opportunity for transportation. I don’t have any boxes to put him in once I find him, although I’ll go by the dumpster in the am to see if I can find one.)I’m beside myself that he’s outside where it’s dirty and wounded. I keep telling myself that cats are pretty resilient and he’ll come around again when he’s hungry (he actually ate a bowl of wet food while I was waiting on my friend, which I took as a good sign. I also ruled out a snake bite based on his wanting to eat.)
Any good suggestions on how to pick up/handle a wounded animal??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What has happened since your post?
Put some Kentucky Fried Chicken in a humane trap. Traps can be rented or borrowed from TNR people and the Humane society. Best of luck - let us know what happens :vibes::crossfingers: :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing - I’ve been searching for him all night and morning. To complicate matters, the lawn guys are here and that always scares him. I am devastated that he could be lying in a bush somewhere - hurt and hungry.
I’ve considered the trapping option but I am without transportation and the Humane Society is on the other side of town. I’ve left notes on my neighbors’ doors to let me know if they see him. He never goes this long without showing up to eat.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty - he might be hunkered down. He might just reappear in a few days. Of course he needs a vet visit if at all possible but I have seen ferals recover from incredibly disastrous injuries on their own. So please do not lose hope and I will be praying that your boy returns to you very soon! Cats are smart and know where it is best to be - of course, that would be you!! Please keep us updated!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your concern and advice. I’m thrilled to report that my tabby tiger has re-appeared after a terrible thunderstorm this afternoon. He was very wet, very hungry and although he’s favoring his paw, the swelling has gone down. My neighbor (who has a Siamese) has a cat carrier and as it’s her day off, she is going to take us to the vet.
I’m so grateful for this forum where I can commiserate with my fellow cat lovers!

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I’m keeping this guy indoors until we take him to the vet! He’s comfortably parked on my bed so I don’t think he’ll mind staying put. I’ve kept him in during our daily Florida afternoon thunderstorms and during the hurricane last year.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m thrilled to report that my tabby tiger has re-appeared after a terrible thunderstorm this afternoon. He was very wet, very hungry and although he’s favoring his paw, the swelling has gone down. My neighbor (who has a Siamese) has a cat carrier and as it’s her day off, she is going to take us to the vet.
This is FANTASTIC news - thank you so much for the update!!
and your neighbor ROCKS!!! as do you :thumbsup:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliott is quite the handsome tiger :loveeyes: I am happy to read that he has safely returned. You and your neighbor are awesome for caring so about Elliott - this world needs more people like you. And a huge thank-you for the updates and for the picture.:thanks: