The Strangest Cat I Ever Knew!

Gladden

Friendly Elf Extraordinaire
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone ever know any strange cats?

I once had a cat who never jumped on counters, showed no interest in playing with clothes or towels hanging, never messed with the toilet paper, and didn't knock things over.

She would, however, play 'only child chase' running around the house bouncing off objects like a cat version of parkour.

She also came when called.

What's your strange cat story?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I can tell - after having 3 different cats, at three different times (including my current cat), they are all strange in their own way!!

Tawny retrieved toys, and opened his own bags of Tender Vittles - but only ate enough to satisfy him.

Gracie (hence the name) fell off of anything that was higher than a foot above the ground - beds, couches, boxes, you name it. She also wanted drips from someone's hand when they were in the shower - without fail. Stick out a hand from the shower door with water on it, and she would wait to lap up the drips.

Feeby, well, she has so many 'strange' things she does - or did do - I can't even begin to list them here.

Needless to say, whatever they do, it is certainly NOT strange to them!!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge are the strangest cats I've ever known!

Toffee fetches like a dog, and is very loyal (which I always thought was strange for cats) as he always waits for us when we're getting ready or making dinner, etc. He also can't purr due to him being the runt of his litter, so he snuffles to make up for it. He also loves cake and ice cream which I've heard is unusual for cats since they're usually not meant to like sweet foods.

Fudge cannot climb well and is scared of heights. I often have to lift him down from the fence or windowsill when he's too scared to jump down himself. He also has a thing against my slippers, and always tries to attack them when he's near my feet, lol. He never also plays much with "cat things" such as toy mice (prefers the real thing, unfortunately!) and even as a kitten was never very playful.

Both have a phobia of water and don't hiss at people but will always hiss at other cats they aren't familiar with.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aliceneko aliceneko just read your post about Fudge being afraid to leap down from 'heights'. the window sill really isn't that high for a cat. Have you ever had an x-ray taken to see if he has arthritis? Sweet Gum does, had it before she was a year old and didn't like to climb up on things or jump down. Once she started taking the dasuquin she became willing to climb up on the chest of drawers - about four feet and to jump down from that height. I built her 'stairs' around the house to help. She uses them to go up but jumps down. It's just a thought. If I already asked and you answered. sorry.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aliceneko aliceneko just read your post about Fudge being afraid to leap down from 'heights'. the window sill really isn't that high for a cat. Have you ever had an x-ray taken to see if he has arthritis? Sweet Gum does, had it before she was a year old and didn't like to climb up on things or jump down. Once she started taking the dasuquin she became willing to climb up on the chest of drawers - about four feet and to jump down from that height. I built her 'stairs' around the house to help. She uses them to go up but jumps down. It's just a thought. If I already asked and you answered. sorry.
I have an appointment for Toffee scheduled soon so I might bring Fudge or schedule one for him at the same time as now I'm quite concerned. I felt around his joints to double check and he didn't seem to be in pain at all, though it's better to be safe.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad, The problem is checking the spine. We had no idea that Sweet Gum at less than a year old had arthritis on three vertabra. the vet didn't suggest an x-ray for a cat that young, but we'd just lost our dog to being really old. The other vet in the practice and one outside it had diagnosed her as anxious and gave her anti-anxiety medicine for two years. I finally demanded an x-ray for her and it turned out she had bad arthritis on her spine. Which was why the anti-anxiety medicine didn't do much.

So you see, the x-ray isn't something most people think of, but vets really should, but don't. sending good thoughts.

Sweet Gum didn't act like she was in pain, however, she was a bit aggressive, hence her nickname. She became a lot less cranky on the medicine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gladden

Friendly Elf Extraordinaire
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, seems cats are weirdos lol

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Leo would drink from the water tap, and didnt like toys to play with at all, he was supper glued to my lap the mintue i sit down, he is straight in my lap. If he wanted his dry food, he would rub his head on the bag really noisily, and it would be louder at night so the neighbors could hear and i would have to give him the food quickly. And he didnt like to eat food from the bowl, i had to hold the dry food in my hand and feed him. If leo was at the front of the house, if there was a chance that the front door was opened, he would push in, and go to the laundry door to get to the back yard.

MC was a strange one, she would meow at the door as if she wants to be let in the house, soon as you open the door she would sit there in silence and stare at you like " i didn't call you, why are you here ?" And i would ask her " do you want to come inside ? and i would wait for her to enter, and she would stare at me like "what the hell are you talking about ? " and she would run off.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't ever tell Pantera that she's a housecat of four kg (a bit over eight and a half pounds): she is utterly certain she's a full-sized jaguar.

She has always liked showing everybody her claws. She'll look at someone, and start showing the claws. Intimidation?

She absolutely loves running. While she really enjoys climbing and jumping- and is very, very good at both- she does interval training in the apartment. She will clock up a kilometer or more every day.

Pantera goes out of her way to destroy her toys. Rough playing is one thing, but shredding feathers and ripping open those plastic play balls with the noise-making beads inside is something you only expect from from large dog breeds :fear:

Finally, she likes to watch youtube. Seriously. But only videos of cats, especially big cats like lions, tigers, and jaguars. She'll sit in my lap or on the sofa with the rapt expression of a child watching the saturday morning cartoons. Occasionally, right as the video shows the lion or jaguar making the kill little Pantera will jump up and touch the screen, as if wanting to share in the kill. :eek2: She doesn't walk like a normal cat, she has a sway in her step, like real jaguars. Did she pick that up on youtube as well? :headscratch:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't ever tell Pantera that she's a housecat of four kg (a bit over eight and a half pounds): she is utterly certain she's a full-sized jaguar.

She has always liked showing everybody her claws. She'll look at someone, and start showing the claws. Intimidation?

She absolutely loves running. While she really enjoys climbing and jumping- and is very, very good at both- she does interval training in the apartment. She will clock up a kilometer or more every day.

Pantera goes out of her way to destroy her toys. Rough playing is one thing, but shredding feathers and ripping open those plastic play balls with the noise-making beads inside is something you only expect from from large dog breeds :fear:

Finally, she likes to watch youtube. Seriously. But only videos of cats, especially big cats like lions, tigers, and jaguars. She'll sit in my lap or on the sofa with the rapt expression of a child watching the saturday morning cartoons. Occasionally, right as the video shows the lion or jaguar making the kill little Pantera will jump up and touch the screen, as if wanting to share in the kill. :eek2: She doesn't walk like a normal cat, she has a sway in her step, like real jaguars. Did she pick that up on youtube as well? :headscratch:
Well, it's a good idea to let everyone know that you are not to be intimidated! :insertevillaugh::dancingblackcat:
It sounds like Pantera definitely knows who she is. There is an ad here for Blue Buffalo cat foods and it says "because your cat is WILD inside!" That's so true, and even more true for Pantera, yes?
We all love watching the nature programs on NatGeoWild!, BBCAmerica, PBS, etc. and often there is rapt attention shown to the felines making their kills, as well as to the birds, fish, butterflies, other insects and especially the small rodents!:runningcat: