The sick Kitten

amyscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a heart for Cats and Kittens. While visiting a friend, I came upon a fainted kitten in the barn.  I had seen the litter a few weeks earlier, there were 6 of them.  My daughter and I picked them up and touched them so they wouldn't be so feral.  On a second visit we found only 5 of them.  Wanting to check on them the night before we left, I found the frail one and scooped him up.  He was still breathing but obviously something was wrong.  I took him back to the house and tried to find a nearby vet but it was late and no one was available.  I tried dipping my finger in water and getting him to drink but he was close to death and could hardly swallow.  I tried to find help on line but it was too slow and he died as I held him in my hand.  This experience was so sad and I don't want to feel this helpless the next time!

I now have secured an emergency number for a vet in the area, but I don't have enough money to fund a visit.  It makes me want to start a fund for sick and/or feral cats.  Is there something I can do for the remaining cats?  I don't want to take them to a shelter just to have them euthanized.  These cats most likely have something that is killing them but with out taking them to a vet its impossible to determine what.  I can't fund a vet visit for all of those cats but there must be something I can do.  On Monday I will call a vet in the area and ask what is available.  There must be a trap neuter release program out there, I just have to find it. In the mean time, if any one has a knowledgeable suggestion on what you can do in a situation like that one, I would like to know for the next time.  These kittens must have a parasite that is killing them, the little one I held looked healthy on the outside. Poor baby.  I think the 4 left are about 5 weeks old.

The original 6

The baby who broke my heart.  

This cute smiling face may have a chance if I can do the right thing.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats who live outside and in barns often have it rough.  Without proper food, shelter and vet care, they face big odds for survival.  Even though it is so sad that the kitten died, he died in the arms of someone who loved him and was comforting him.

There are a lot of resources out there, depending on where you live.  Do an Internet search with your zip code and see what pops up.  If there's nothing or very little, you can start something of your own but recognize that it is going to take up your life.  (Not a bad way to spend a life, BTW).

Talk to your friends, families and neighbors and see if they know of anything or are willing to help.  It isn't always about raising money.  It is also about making contacts - with vets, fosters, other volunteers.  Lots of work but well worth it.

If you start your own non-profit, you are going to need a board, an attorney and an accountant/tax person to help you.  Thank about who might be able to fill those roles.  Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP!

​Argh! It's happening again!!  The third little kitten to succumb to death.  What could possibly be wrong and is there something I can do? The local  vet won't be open until monday and I'm 4 hours away anyway. They are at least 5 or 6 weeks old now.  They seem fine one day and the next they die.  No goopy eyes, no unkempt look, no listlessness... in fact, when I was there I brought them a little wet food, along with their mom who was very hungry.  I called today to see how they were doing and he said the had come to the house looking for more.  It may be a three or four minute walk for me... but for a kitten?  I wonder if their mother brought them?  Is there a blanket preventative I can get for them?  Are they too little to treat?

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a tractor supply store near you?  If so, go in there and get a tube of Strongid from the equine area.  It is a deworming med but it can be used for cats also.  It is labelled for use on kittens 6 weeks and older - not sure how old these guys are, but since they are dying, I would go ahead and do it.   You will need a needle-less syringe (can probably get that from the tractor supply store too, but not 100% sure on that ).   They will only need a tiny dose, and you can mix it into their wet food - you'll need to feed each kitten individually so you know that they ingested it.   The dose  is 1 cc  per 10 lbs of body weight.  So you'll need to weigh the kittens to ensure a proper dosage.   If the kitten is one pound, they would get 0.1 of Strongid from the syringe.   This will kill the worms.

amyscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! 

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Thank you! 
No problem 
  I'm about to leave the house for a bit but post back if you have any questions or trouble!  you're so kind to try & save these babies - it can be so rewarding when things go well, and so heartbreaking when they don't.   good luck!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should not dose these kittens with anything without first consulting a vet. You have no idea what is killing them.

At 5-6 weeks old they need more than just mom's milk. They need a steady diet of wet food and kitten chow. And mom needs regular feeding too. They may be starving to death if mom does not have enough milk for them.

One of the best things you can do immediately is to give the remaining kittens a home where they will be socialized and receive regular food, love, and vet care. If not handled soon by humans they will turn feral.

You could also trap the mom and have her spayed and released back to the barn so that this cycle of pregnancies does not repeat. You'll need to call around and locate a low-cost spay/neuter or TNR program.

But do not give them meds without seeing a vet.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Do you have a tractor supply store near you?  If so, go in there and get a tube of Strongid from the equine area.  It is a deworming med but it can be used for cats also.  It is labelled for use on kittens 6 weeks and older - not sure how old these guys are, but since they are dying, I would go ahead and do it.   You will need a needle-less syringe (can probably get that from the tractor supply store too, but not 100% sure on that ).   They will only need a tiny dose, and you can mix it into their wet food - you'll need to feed each kitten individually so you know that they ingested it.   The dose  is 1 cc  per 10 lbs of body weight.  So you'll need to weigh the kittens to ensure a proper dosage.   If the kitten is one pound, they would get 0.1 of Strongid from the syringe.   This will kill the worms.
This strongid does contain Pyrantel paomate as its active ingredience.   Pyrantel is an wellknown and mild dewormer, useful against roundworms.   Appears in many commercial brands, and most of them useful for kittens and cats.

Although some brands made for big animals contains also some other ingredients, and thus, unsuitable for cats.  So a good reason to get advice from either a vet, or at least, someone experienced with that brand...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should not dose these kittens with anything without first consulting a vet. You have no idea what is killing them.

This strongid does contain Pyrantel paomate as its active ingredience.   Pyrantel is an wellknown and mild dewormer, useful against roundworms.   Appears in many commercial brands, and most of them useful for kittens and cats.

Although some brands made for big animals contains also some other ingredients, and thus, unsuitable for cats.  So a good reason to get advice from either a vet, or at least, someone experienced with that brand...
  That said about this dewormer bought in bottle.   A shortcut for many barn-owners and caretakers of big colonies, if the budget is very limited.

Kittens need sooner or later deworming, where pyrantel is typical, if there are no other complications.  So the tip was good in itself, although NOT enough.

(tx  @jolie0216   for the dosage instructions - THIS is often one of the difficult parts with such here shortcuts).

The problem here, its probably not just the worms, if kittens are dying.   So that is why its really a vet errand.  This dewormer is just a small step on the way on what is needed to be done.

amyscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my cat loving friends...

An update on the barn cats... We have three surviving felines who have moved from the barn to the woodpile next to the house.  The woodpile is next to the fence where the sheepdogs scare away any predators.  I have found a dewormer for kittens but am going to wait until i'm sure they are stronger.  They are getting stronger with daily food.  After searching much on the subject I have found the best explanation to be "fading kitten" syndrome.  I found helpful things on this page:

http://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/kitten-deaths-‘fading-kittens’

Thanks for all those who responded.  

After much searching, I found the best thing you can do for a kitten that is small and fading is to keep them warm and hydrate them  if possible with warm sugar water and/or pedialyte.  If you have access to a vet they can inject fluids under the skin.

In retrospect, I don't think the kittens were getting enough milk from their mother.

I have also researched a "Barc Coalition" who is willing to vaccinate and neuter the cats and kittens for just the cost of doing so.  There is a waiting list but I'm on it.  

Strong emotion is a good motivator to do something. I have learned what I can do and what supplies to keep handy.  I'm also looking into Veterinary classes.  The little brown kitten that I shall affectionately call Francis did not die in vain.  If I start a fund for barn cats I will post it. 

Thank you fro reading :)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strong emotion is a good motivator to do something. I have learned what I can do and what supplies to keep handy.  I'm also looking into Veterinary classes.  The little brown kitten that I shall affectionately call Francis did not die in vain.  If I start a fund for barn cats I will post it. 
Indeed, strong emotion is often the only thing that motivates.  Thank you for sharing your experience and the info on fading kitten syndrome.  Vibes you are able to complete the classes and that you are able to make a difference in Francis' memory...