the same litterbox

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,I’ve got three cats and two litter boxes however all of them only use one🥲
Two of them are neutered and the other one is a kitten...I use the same litter,the two litter boxes have the same height I don’t know why they all use the same litter box
If their main litterbox is dirty they’ll let me know but in any case they will go to the second one
(They love each other,groom each other and live peacefully)
Does anyone know why they do this?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of them are neutered and the other one is a kitten...I use the same litter,the two litter boxes have the same height I don’t know why they all use the same litter box
If their main litterbox is dirty they’ll let me know but in any case they will go to the second one
I have two cats and four litter boxes (2 upstairs and 2 downstairs). They only use the ones upstairs. No idea why as they spend just as much time downstairs as upstairs (maybe even a little more). Cats are weird. As long as they will use the 2nd one eventually, I wouldn't worry or maybe put a 3rd or 4th in other places around the house and see if anyone will pick those as "their spot".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and four litter boxes (2 upstairs and 2 downstairs). They only use the ones upstairs. No idea why as they spend just as much time downstairs as upstairs (maybe even a little more). Cats are weird. As long as they will use the 2nd one eventually, I wouldn't worry or maybe put a 3rd or 4th in other places around the house and see if anyone will pick those as "their spot".
One cat uses it like one time in a month 😂

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are the litter boxes right beside each other, or in different rooms? Either way, sounds like you have 3 lovely, bonded cats who don't mind sharing things, including their litter box.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the litter boxes right beside each other, or in different rooms? Either way, sounds like you have 3 lovely, bonded cats who don't mind sharing things, including their litter box.
The main one it’s in the living room (I swear it does not smell 😂) and the second one is in my room which is open 24/7

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Guess they prefer the main room, rather than one with more privacy. :lol:

Not sure what sort of setup you have, and you certainly wouldn't want to mess up their good litter box behaviour, but have you seen the litter boxes set in coffee tables?
coffee table litter box - Google Search

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guess they prefer the main room, rather than one with more privacy. :lol:

Not sure what sort of setup you have, and you certainly wouldn't want to mess up their good litter box behaviour, but have you seen the litter boxes set in coffee tables?
coffee table litter box - Google Search
Omg,I’m in love with that litter boxes😍 I’ve got an empty drawer in my bedroom so I probably get rid of it and switch it for a litterbox like that :) thank you so much for the idea

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve got an empty drawer in my bedroom so I probably get rid of it and switch it for a litterbox like that :) thank you so much for the idea
You're welcome. Good luck switching things over.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to keep one upstairs and one downstairs, but they'd only use the upstairs box. I finally put both upstairs, and they started using both boxes. Go figure!

As for those table-cat box combinations, those are pretty damn ritzy cat boxes! While my cats seem happy with the normal plastic cat box with high sides, I wonder if they'd like one of those fancy ones.

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Three days ago I bought another closed litterbox and they’re using it a lot more than they use the main litterbox now 😂 (the new litterbox it’s in the same place where the previous one was never used)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The main one it’s in the living room (I swear it does not smell 😂) and the second one is in my room which is open 24/7
Before my neighbors started smoking inside I had one in my bathroom,bedroom,and living room.no smell. Every spot of my apt has been thrown up on. Can't tell

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here. We initially had only one large litter box downstairs in the laundry room which is easily accessible for me to clean it. Since we have a large house, I recently decided to put a smaller one upstairs since she spends a lot of time up there next to me when I'm working, and I thought it might be convenient for her at those times. Now, the upstairs one is the main one she uses! Not sure why, since I keep both clean (I scoop daily.) What started out as an "extra" box has now become a mess since it's in a carpeted area and even with a mat, I have to vacuum up litter every day. It was much easier to sweep/mop the laundry room!

Who knows why cats do what cats do?

PS...I finally moved the larger box upstairs since that is her preferred "bathroom." That means a lot more effort in filling, emptying, and cleaning it though. Sigh...