The Saga Of The White Coconut Cake

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Many of you know that one of our long-standing traditions for one of our Christmas desserts is a white coconut layer cake. I don't make it; we order it from a local restaurant/bakery. I didn't order one this year. I don't know why; it seemed like so much dessert with pies and cookies, ice cream, the cheesecake coming up this Saturday. And I didn't bother.

I love the white coconut cake. My sister loves the white coconut cake. Both of our husbands are not fond of coconut. My son makes fun of me every year for the white coconut cake; my DIL refuses to even touch the stuff. So it's basically my sister and I who eat a 10-inch white coconut layer cake. Don't laugh....we can do it. It's usually gone in about three days. (Last year, my granddaughter was amazed at how little cake was leftover once my sister and I had dessert. But she and I will actually skimp on Christmas dinner, knowing that cake is not far behind.)

Well! My sister called the bakery because she wanted to pay for the cake as a surprise for me. The bakery, of course, had no record of a white coconut cake being ordered in my name. I didn't bother to order one this year. I got a phone call: "What the heck? Are we not having white coconut cake for Christmas this year? What is WRONG with you?" I explained to her that, well, she and I are pretty much the only ones who eat it; I didn't feel like dealing with it on Christmas and they're going to be away for the New Year. We have pies, we have cookies, we have tons of desserts. Did not go over well.

When we got to Rick's mother on Sunday afternoon, the very first question out of her mouth? "Did you get the white coconut cake yet? Don't forget to save me a piece. Make it a big piece!" She was so disappointed when I said there was no white coconut cake.

We went over to my sister's last night for dessert and, boy did I catch it. Turns out that both my niece and my nephew-in-law love white coconut cake and everybody was disappointed that I didn't order it. They didn't order because they thought I did.

I said that I was thinking about ordering a cake for the dessert to my birthday dinner at the end of January. Not only did my sister put it on her calendar, but my niece and nephew-in-law are making it a point to come home for dinner that weekend. Because of the white coconut cake.

Next year for Christmas? You can darn well bet that I'll make sure I order the cake!!

So the white coconut cake lives on!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I'm a fan as well, I like coconut cake :)

I made one a few years ago for visitors. They had their after dinner dessert, and the rest was mine. I was very pleased, almost like I planned it that way :yess:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester said, my sister and I who eat a 10-inch white coconut layer cake. Don't laugh....we can do it. It's usually gone in about three days.

I'm pretty sure my sister and I could do that, even if she was only fast enough to get one slice.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love coconut cake, too. I don't understand people who don't like coconut.

It seems like sometimes people take certain things for granted and never say anything about them until they're missing. Now you know there's lots of family who love that coconut cake!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love coconut cake, too. I don't understand people who don't like coconut.

It seems like sometimes people take certain things for granted and never say anything about them until they're missing. Now you know there's lots of family who love that coconut cake!
I like Mounds bars but nothing else with coconut in it. It is the texture and the taste of coconut that I don't like. I would rather starve than eat piece of coconut cake. Sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Eh, Rick says the same thing about coconut, muffy muffy . Although this year, he did surprise me when he ate a couple lemon coconut cookies. Surprise? No, more like shocked. I thought the world was coming to an end.

I was going to have the cake this year. I had it on my calendar to order it (Dec 20th - ORDER THE CAKE!!!!) and everything. But when the time came, I don't know. It didn't seem worth while, if that makes any sense. I honestly figured nobody really cared, but me.

Boy, was I wrong!

I can make the cake and have made the cake. But that bakery does a great job and it takes a lot of hassle off of me, with all the cookie baking and making sticky buns for Christmas morning and all that. Two Christmas dinners to prepare, along with desserts. It's easier to order it.