The resident cat start vomit after I introducing the new one

Junhan Zhang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I just introduced a new kitten (7 month old) to my apartment, and my resident cat (2 years and 7 month) start to vomit basically twice a day, two days in total. But besides that the resident cat still have the appetite, still can play with me, and sleep. One thing that I notice is he didn't poop and just peed a little in these two days. (On the other hand, the new cat is totally comfortable and relaxing). They fight a lot yesterday but today they stop the massive amount of fighting and sometimes smell each other.
My friend who has four cats in her house told me that the resident cat is stressed, but I still want more advice and suggestions. How to stop the cat from vomiting? Or is there any ways to make him calm down more, I am still very worried about him.

Thanks a lot if someone replied.

I mean he vomit two days in total until now, I don't know if he is going to vomit in the future.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Yes, your resident cat is stressed. You can try some cat music to help ease the stress, but if the vomiting continues in addition to the issues of not peeing and not pooping, he needs to get to a vet right away. These issues are more than stress.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sounds like you did a rush introduction that your resident cat is totally distraught about. I would back off on the two cats being in the same area, and start over with introductions - after your resident cat has a chance to settle down.

It is also possible that the resident cat's digestive tract has been disrupted by eating the new kitten's food - assuming they are not eating the same food??

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Yes sounds like your cat is stressed. Did you do a proper introduction?
maybe you should try re-introducing them? or maybe you should try associating the second cat with a good thing for the old cat?
for example associate play time to the new cat. find a way to play interactively with both cats.
play time is very important. the more your play with them the less energy they will have to fight or to invest in stress.

lmdisalle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old had the same reaction when we got a kitten in the fall. Definitely take things slow and be patient :)