The Positive Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Back before I retired, I was driving my 4x4 on a divided highway, and the roads were snow-covered and slippery. I was doing maybe 30 when a car passed me in the right lane, and just then they lost control and slid across directly in front of me, missing by inches. They bounced off the concrete divider and slid backward across the highway, missing another car, also by inches. They went up an embankment, then back down and across in front of me again, hit the barrier again, bounced across the road again, and finally ended up in the ditch. How they managed to miss everyone, and didn't cause a chain reaction pileup is beyond me.
Meanwhile, we replaced our 17 year old gas water heater yesterday. No, it wasn't leaking, but we figured better safe than sorry. The price we were quoted was $2400, because it is a direct vent model, and they are more expensive. Well, when they comp!eted the job and handed us the bill, it was only $2000, because we paid cash, and I'm a veteran. I'll take a discount like that any day of the week.
Sometimes I swear there are angels watching over us and they did their job for you and apparently others on that highway. Bet you your foot was shaking when you continued your drive. Good deal on the water heater. Mine is nearly 25 so it’s day is coming.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I swear there are angels watching over us and they did their job for you and apparently others on that highway. Bet you your foot was shaking when you continued your drive. Good deal on the water heater. Mine is nearly 25 so it’s day is coming.
Just for drill, the plumber pulled the anode rod out of the old water heater. Surprisingly enough, it still had a lot of life left in it, so we probably could have gone several more years before replacement.
They might also have given a discount because I loaned them one of my tools. When they went to disconnect the gas supply, their pliers weren't up to the task, so I reached up and handed them my 24 inch pipe wrench. That did the job for them.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for drill, the plumber pulled the anode rod out of the old water heater. Surprisingly enough, it still had a lot of life left in it, so we probably could have gone several more years before replacement.
They might also have given a discount because I loaned them one of my tools. When they went to disconnect the gas supply, their pliers weren't up to the task, so I reached up and handed them my 24 inch pipe wrench. That did the job for them.
Supposedly you can replace those rods and make your water heater last longer. Haven’t ever had it done though.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposedly you can replace those rods and make your water heater last longer. Haven’t ever had it done though.
Yes, you can buy those replacement rods. The catch is that frequently the old one is so corroded that it cannot be removed without damaging the threads in the tank. They even have segmented rods for places where there is limited overhead clearance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are several phone apps and other ways to determine when/if the train, or even the International space station, will be within your view;

The first app that's mentioned is a subscription, but it has an initial couple week free trial. I don't know anything about the others

How to See Starlink Satellite Train 2022

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can buy those replacement rods. The catch is that frequently the old one is so corroded that it cannot be removed without damaging the threads in the tank. They even have segmented rods for places where there is limited overhead clearance.
Yeah, I figured it would be something like that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DD got to the craft store with her gift cards today to shop for beads and jewelry things. It was SO fun watching her browse and calculate and plan. She has good taste!

And I found a cute cat cameo pendant and brown leather cord for myself. Now we just need to find her toolkit!
We replaced that and the elements on ours at the same time a few years ago. We were really really blessed no one got hurt because DH got up for work one day and the water came out scalding hot! It took some time but we managed to fix it ourselves. There was only one place in the area that had them in stock

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Last September I wrote a multiple page “to do” list. Most were things long neglected or way past due and at the time the list was overwhelming. But since then I have been ploughing through and getting things done. With this morning’s mammogram the list is 100% complete!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:biggrin:finally got graycie to obey/listen to me i think? i saw her jump onto the breakfast bar i 'm layin my couch so i started asking her what are you doing graycie? and telling her come here she did after a quick stroll around the bar to lay with me on the couch:lol: guess a calm voice works better than yelling at a cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We got notice the end of last week that our health insurance had been cancelled at the end of the year. It wasn't supposed to be. My husband's employer has been assuring us all that we are covered but I had a prescription denied on Monday. Thankfully it has been worked out and my prescription ahs been filled.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found my godson’s favorite chips in the store. The store by me doesn’t carry them so I had to look elsewhere. I was kind of bummed hes to the point where he doesn’t want wrapped stuff for his birthday and Christmas. Hes a preteen so I get it but its still sad to just do a gift card. So I’m taping the gift card (to a pizza place) to his favorite chips and wrapping those! Hopefully he’ll get a kick out of that too. I think it’s funny at least! ;)

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gf mom is in assisted living now as of last night.gf was pretty heart broken. last night after filling the paper work out etc to commit her mom there but she is in a safe place .now with a person gf knows and trusts who happens to be director at the place just by luck.the place allows visiting any day any time so thats a plus as well we plan to visit her today after my kidney doc visit.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
idney doc said my kidneys are at 60 percent functioning so its good to go if when thoracic doc wants to cut that lump out from my lung
Wow!

I finally got some resolution today for an issue having to do with my angel Poppycat's last weekend back in October, all positive, and I'm so very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.