The Positive Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom would be Spanish and dad French for example.
Oh good point! Maybe he got his French last name from his dad, but maybe his mom is Spanish. They certainly look Spanish, and he has kind of a Spanish accent. I'll ask him if he accepts my friend request. He's very dark and handsome.

My positive, as small as it may be, is that I had a really good lunch.
Well....What did you have? :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Are French guys really dark? He definitely looks Spanish and so does his mom. Hmmmm. :headscratch:
Because France borders other countries diverse ethnic groups settled there so you really can't stereotype. As susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned most people are a mix of different nationalities. I will keep my fingers crossed he accepts your friend request. :crossfingers:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pinulottas
I googled for a picture. Were heres bite or marble size?

My other Grandma always made Struffoli at Christmas. They are little balls of dough fried and covered in honey. Then piled into a tree shape and topped with nonpareil sprinkles.

My mom and I made those one year. We did all the frying out in the garage so the house wouldn’t smell like oil. They are a lot of work!
My positive is I sent a friend request to a guy I almost dated 20 years ago. His last name is really cool, but really hard to spell. Spanish I think. So I could never find him. But then I saw his name on 2 of my friends' Facebook friends lists. So I said what the heck, let's see what he's doing. We'll see if he accepts my friend request. ;)

Edit: I googled his last name and it says French. That's confusing. Are French guys really dark? He definitely looks Spanish and so does his mom. Hmmmm. :headscratch:
There was a guy on Dancing with the Stars years ago that reminded me of Antonio Banderas but I think he was French. Its hard to guess by looks even.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went bowling for some serious practice this morning with my league partner...both of us picked up our balls..stood on our makers and looked at each other..and both said..now what do we do..lol..
Forgotten everything its been so long.
Took 3 games to get near our averages then the lanes started to fill with the general public and had too many people standing watching us with kids running behind and ended up worrying about swatting a kid with a ball on the backswing so we called it quits.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gilles Marini?
Yes! I googled it, and my guy looks like that. That dark look always looks Spanish to me. I hope he answers my friend request. I always liked him because he talks a lot, like me. It would be nice to have somebody to chat with this winter. And he's a chef/cook! He's kind of fancy though. When we went out for sub sandwiches, he would always ask the lady to get fancy meat for his sub out of the special case, like prosciutto. His sub was always so much more expensive than mine. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , my grandmothers Pinulottas were about donut hole size and rolled in powdered sugar but they were very sweet so maybe honey underneath. There are such variations in language and food though between Italy and Sicily. She was from a very rural very poor part of Sicily and I think because of that her food was very simple and only a few sweets. The pinulottas; a very hard, inedible unless dunked biscotti type cookie; and a cheese or date filled turnover thing at Easter were it. At Easter she also baked chicken on nests for us which had round “nest” of dough on the bottom, an unshelled egg in the nest and more dough shaped like a chicken on top. They weren’t sweet at all but an Easter treat anyway.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my grandmothers Pinulottas were about donut hole size and rolled in powdered sugar but they were very sweet so maybe honey underneath. There are such variations in language and food though between Italy and Sicily.
I’ve probably had them but called them something a little different. If Mooch wasn’t snoozing in my lap I’d check the cookbook my aunt made me when I got married. She wrote down where all the recipes came from. Its one of my favorite gifts ever! I can’t imagine how long it took her to put together! I know there is one listed as Great Grandma’s favorite. And Grandpa’s. When Grandpa talks about his mother he says she was always in the kitchen. I knew her; but she was very old when I was a child. Its nice preserving these old recipes.
Cassateddi or Cassatelli, and they were sweet
Cassata to me is a cake made with ricotta cheese. My mother makes it and while ricotta cheese doesn’t sound like a dessert thing; its a good sweet cake! :lol: The town where my parents and I were born (and several of my grandparents) has a large Italian immigrant population; so recipes were shared around. The town had a large immigrant population overall so even my Polish grandmother made Italian dishes. (Grandpa was Italian. His mother was NOT supportive of his choice of Bride. So she only spoke Italian around grandma for some time. I come from a line of stubborn women.:lol:) My Italian grandma had recipes for perogi from her neighbors too.:crazy: It makes for good eating when I go visit.:lol: And good memories!:redheartpump:

My mother did a bread with eggs in it last easter. The bread wasn’t very sweet but it had icing from confectioners sugar drizzled on it. The bread was a big ring and had 4 eggs that were dyed.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow.. I was raised in a Italian Immigrant City. My grandparents were from Poland.. On both sides.

We still have a couple of Italian bakeries, an Italian homemade Pasta store, etc.. My polish Aunt married a sweet Italian man.. She never really learned the Italian food.

I grew up on Italian and Polish Food, along with "American"..

Italian food was everywhere.. neighbors were willing to share..

Unfortunately, any and all Polish food stores in the surrounding communities are gone.. memories from my life.... sigh..

I have my mom's recipes for Pierogi, Stuffed cabbage, borscht... my aunts recipe for Chrushicke--angel wings, and her enormous recipe for dill pickles, which she used to make, yearly; Jarring in huge jars... Nothing like these pickles.. I used to wait all year for the.. fresh dill weed etc...

I have made the stuffed cabbage--so labor intensive, the placki ---potato pancakes, and the borscht---from scratch with soup bones...Pierogi, I have not attempted.. I am not good with duh.. plus counter space is a minimum..

memories... especially during the holidays...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive is I'm making our list for our Aldi order next week. I feel like the church should send somebody else with our order besides that young girl. I worry about her driving on these back country roads in this winter weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.