The Positive Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, was beautiful and sunny. I had to post a letter so decided to walk along the boring road, which is essentially "the village", to the postbox.

Instead of heading straight home, I turned right after posting the letter and walked along a dirt track between small fields. This took me under a busy road. I carried on till I came to the River Rur, whch flows through Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. It's not a navigable river - stretches of it are used for kayaking and canoeing. Fishermen can often be seen standing up to their thighs in the cold water. I've never seen a fish being caught.

Owing to recent heavy rain, this evening the river was full and fastflowing. Apart from one woman with her dog and another, whose head was swaddled in a thick scarf (frightened of Corona?), I met nobody except two horses in a field and a flock of Canada Geese. Most of the geese were quietly sunning themselves in a field but 2 were having a honking battle on the river.

Before leaving the river and completing my circuit home, I took two pictures: this is not a beauty spot, it's not even appreciated locally. But the circular walk from my house to this quiet and peaceful place and back again takes less than 40 minutes, and I do appreciate it very much.
Rur2.jpg

Rur1.jpg

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today, was beautiful and sunny. I had to post a letter so decided to walk along the boring road, which is essentially "the village", to the postbox.

Instead of heading straight home, I turned right after posting the letter and walked along a dirt track between small fields. This took me under a busy road. I carried on till I came to the River Rur, whch flows through Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. It's not a navigable river - stretches of it are used for kayaking and canoeing. Fishermen can often be seen standing up to their thighs in the cold water. I've never seen a fish being caught.

Owing to recent heavy rain, this evening the river was full and fastflowing. Apart from one woman with her dog and another, whose head was swaddled in a thick scarf (frightened of Corona?), I met nobody except two horses in a field and a flock of Canada Geese. Most of the geese were quietly sunning themselves in a field but 2 were having a honking battle on the river.

Before leaving the river and completing my circuit home, I took two pictures: this is not a beauty spot, it's not even appreciated locally. But the circular walk from my house to this quiet and peaceful place and back again takes less than 40 minutes, and I do appreciate it very much.
View attachment 327350

View attachment 327353

Stunning <3 Echo what Furballs mom said, thank you for sharing!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The tree in our front yard has a bird's nest in it. I can hardly wait to see mama feed her babies in the coming weeks. 🐦 If I can I'll try to take a pic of it.
No babies yet but since the weather cooperated today I thought I'd take a pic of the nest. I'm looking forward to see what type of bird occupies it soon.

IMG_0396.jpeg

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 327350

View attachment 327353
That's beautiful!!!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I was feeling rough yesterday and needed to lie down. Caylee, my new helper, had deep cleaned
the kitchen and I hadn't even asked!! She did the windows of the slider inside and out. It is a french
door slider and those little windows are a pain. She is a self starter and I like that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Today while I was out on my walk I passed a derelict 1930’s house that finally was sold after six years vacant. I stopped and chatted a few minutes (across the road from him of course) with the new owner and mentioned how my hobby was metal detecting and I had thought many times that I would love to detect his yard. He replied that he would be tearing it all up in a few months so I was welcome to detect any time. Getting a new place to detect so close to home and without having to worry about getting too close to anyone is wonderful and something to look forward to. If it continues to stay above freezing for another week or two I can start detecting.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was feeling rough yesterday and needed to lie down. Caylee, my new helper, had deep cleaned
the kitchen and I hadn't even asked!! She did the windows of the slider inside and out. It is a french
door slider and those little windows are a pain. She is a self starter and I like that.
I sure would like to have someone like that to help me.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is good news. I'm glad you finally have someone good to help you again :hugs:

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive today is that I got to take my dog riding with me again. She's getting better each time we go out. I brought treats with me and we walked on opposite sides of the bike. I captured every positive behaviour with a "good!" and a bit of chicken. We practised different commands like "left, right, stop, relax" etc. She did really well with those too. She just gets distracted easily but she's still a puppy so we'll work on that.
Lumii_20200324_162820336.jpg

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several months ago I sent my stepmom a tomahawk galvanized drop trap with two carriers..it was really expensive. I was wondering if I sent her that unnecessarily but last night she told me she was able to trap so many cats quickly with it! Now all but 2 elusive older males have been fixed. They don't come around regularly and are obviously very smart. But at least the rest of the cats have been TNR. I was so happy to hear the news.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Several months ago I sent my stepmom a tomahawk galvanized drop trap with two carriers..it was really expensive. I was wondering if I sent her that unnecessarily but last night she told me she was able to trap so many cats quickly with it! Now all but 2 elusive older males have been fixed. They don't come around regularly and are obviously very smart. But at least the rest of the cats have been TNR. I was so happy to hear the news.
That's wonderful! 😄

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My second positive thing of the day didn’t start out so positive. For as long as I have lived in this house there has been this strange electrical box covering one of my basement outlets. And periodically it makes these little vibrating sqeals, sometimes several times a day and then not again for weeks. I have tried multiple times to remove it but pulling and prying did nothing, so I figured it was probably hardwired and have just tried to ignore it. For fifteen years.

This afternoon though not only was it making noise every couple of hours but when it did the lights in the house flickered. Finding an electrician (or paying for him for that matter) would probably be next to impossible and I sure didn’t want this thing to catch fire or pop the circuit breakers. I don’t like messing with electrical things but sometimes, scared or not you just have to do what needs to be done. I hauled out a boatload of tools, shut off the power and prepared to cut and cap the wires if need be. I had gotten this great Ryobi work light as a Christmas gift and apparently for the first time got a good look at this box. And for the first time I saw a center screw on it and knew instantly that all I was going to have to do was unscrew it and the thing would pull off. I was right. It turned out to be an extremely old surge protector and underneath it was just a normal outlet. Fifteen year old problem solved in 15 seconds makes for a great day.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son helped me move our squirrel feeder today. Yesterday I put out a little terracotta saucer and filled it with squirrel food because Chester (our yard squirrel) kept raiding the feeder. I left it at the top of our back steps. He was SO adorable sitting there enjoying the corn and sunflower seeds. I kept trying to lure him to the feeder where I had it; but he doesn't seem to go around that side of the yard. So I put it on the tree he runs up. He really keeps us laughing with his bold antics! :lol: At least Frank and Ethel appreciate it when he knocks seed from the feeder. They crack me up. (Frank and Ethel are our regular Morning Doves.)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news. I'm glad you finally have someone good to help you again :hugs:
Thanks Kat!!

My positive today is that I got to take my dog riding with me again. She's getting better each time we go out. I brought treats with me and we walked on opposite sides of the bike. I captured every positive behaviour with a "good!" and a bit of chicken. We practised different commands like "left, right, stop, relax" etc. She did really well with those too. She just gets distracted easily but she's still a puppy so we'll work on that.
View attachment 327645
That's adorable!!!

I sure would like to have someone like that to help me.
Ellen,
I have an aide because of my disability and my income. Why not call Health and Human services in
your county and ask about it? I'm sure your doc would say that you need assistance.. :hugs:

Rain again today but supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow. Caylee is very pleasant to be around but to be on the safe side I am
not having her prepare meals. The aides have always used gloves when doing any kind of task, including folding clothes. The agency
doesn't have masks at the moment but they'll be in soon. I gave her one of mine that I haven't used and asked her to wear it when
she goes to the store. She said as of Monday, Walmart is self check-out only unless someone is not able to do it.

Callie is sleeping beside me making all kinds of sweet sounds.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning had a video stretch with my school's therapist, who normally holds stretching sessions during school. I saw she was doing video meditation and e-mailed asking if she was doing the stretching, too. She said no, but would be happy to do it just for me, and we will be doing it once a week! :hugs: The kitties were so cute during! Persia was playing with my sweatshirt cord and feet, and Katrina often came over to get in my face, haha. Pretty relaxing though.She also snuck in and asked me to do 10 (modified) push-ups and some leg raises in between the stretches.

The other day my positive was, it snowed!!! It was sooooo beautiful! Missed having this much snow as once! One of the things I miss about being in IL.
20200323_074956.jpg
20200323_075021.jpg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My Chewy order arrived this morning! :bliss: I should have enough cat food and litter for about two months. The FedEx guy pulled up just as I was coming back from my walk so he didn’t even have time to ring the doorbell which terrifies the girls.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to be in the 70s today. If so, I can sit outside. Cal is sound asleep on the chair
beside me. She's usually on the blankets beside me if I'm online. I think because it's so
warm the chair is cooler because I have a lightweight cotton throw on it.

What have all of you been up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.