The Positive Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you studying in grad school?
I've been working on a wildlife biology bachelor's degree, and I am extremely interested in research and data collection. Specifically, anthropogenic (human) influences and how these changes impact animals. So for grad school, I would be conducting research that concerns ecology and impacts of or on animals. My special interest is in small mammals. There are websites that list project details of advisers that are looking for new grad students to pursue specific topics, and I've been using the site (Texas A & M wildlife job board) to find opportunities. So not sure the specific research focus, but focusing on any that relate to small mammal ecology right now.

Although, ecology deals with many different aspects, and I'd be happy doing many different topics, including fish, turtle, plant, or general ecosystem functioning. I just really love thinking critically about things and what may affect them! The discussion section of the research paper where you write about what worked, what didn't, and what improvements can be made is my favorite part! Even if the hypothesis was not supported, there are still so many things to learn and so many questions that still need to be answered! Hope that answered your question. :) Thanks for asking!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been working on a wildlife biology bachelor's degree, and I am extremely interested in research and data collection. Specifically, anthropogenic (human) influences and how these changes impact animals. So for grad school, I would be conducting research that concerns ecology and impacts of or on animals. My special interest is in small mammals. There are websites that list project details of advisers that are looking for new grad students to pursue specific topics, and I've been using the site (Texas A & M wildlife job board) to find opportunities. So not sure the specific research focus, but focusing on any that relate to small mammal ecology right now.

Although, ecology deals with many different aspects, and I'd be happy doing many different topics, including fish, turtle, plant, or general ecosystem functioning. I just really love thinking critically about things and what may affect them! The discussion section of the research paper where you write about what worked, what didn't, and what improvements can be made is my favorite part! Even if the hypothesis was not supported, there are still so many things to learn and so many questions that still need to be answered! Hope that answered your question. :) Thanks for asking!
Obviously you are studying this because it's a subject you actually care about! It's pretty awesome. I have no interest in my field but it pays the bills pretty well. Are you hoping to get a job in your related field outside of Texas or even the country one day? Forget this state, maybe you could go to New Zealand or something. Haha.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously you are studying this because it's a subject you actually care about! It's pretty awesome. I have no interest in my field but it pays the bills pretty well. Are you hoping to get a job in your related field outside of Texas or even the country one day? Forget this state, maybe you could go to New Zealand or something. Haha.
Thanks! What field are you working in? Money is important, haha. My field isn't known for making the big bucks, but going to grad school should increase my future salary and be great for me since it will increase my opportunities for doing research and leading projects.

I'll looking for jobs anywhere, haha. If it pays well enough and I'm interested in the work, I'm applying. Two summers ago I landed in Illinois about 6-7 hours away from where I had lived. Last summer I traveled 24 hours from North Carolina where I went to school to a North Dakota summer job. Many field jobs offer free housing, but unsure with 3 cats if I'd get approved, and I wouldn't want to keep them all in a bedroom if my roommates decide they don't want contact with them. So looking for higher paying jobs in affordable areas.

Do you live in Texas? One of my friends just started grad school down there and she complains about how hot it is, haha. She melts in the heat. Although, she works with mussels, so most of her field work make be working in the water, luckily, which may keep her cooler.

Areas with lower populations and less dense housing would be my ideal areas, especially if they have walking trail areas that are quiet and make it feel like you're in the middle of no where. Many jobs I've seen are in Texas and California, although there are many other states as well. I would love to get a full-time job that is year-round that offers benefits, although many require 5 years experience, haha.

It may be neat traveling to another country, although it would need to be a more permanent position. (Many jobs in my field are seasonal for data collection, which mainly focuses in late spring, summer, maybe into fall.) One of the grad schools I'm applying to would have me spending my summer in Alaska to complete field work, which would be amazing! Probably have to find someone to watch my cats through that time though as I'm not sure if housing is camping, field site, or if I could find and afford housing out there. I know I'll find a way to make it work no matter what I am offered and decide to take.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
long distance call from my sister. We had a great talk and she told me she's planning to visit
I wish I had a sister. :hugs: I've got plenty of brothers though!

Money is important
I wish money wasn't important. But it's best to face the truth that it absolutely is! 💰💵

My positive for today is speaking of greenbacks, Powerball is up to $394 million and I think I'll buy a ticket this week. It's always positive to think of the good we cat people could do with that kind of cash. ;)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still a bit achy...wore newish jeans so has rubbed inside of knees a bit but all OK. Thanks for asking.
Blue is funny though..he is entranced with the horse smell in my tee shirt I was wearing..keeps pulling it out of the washing basket and rolling on it like it has catnip or something on it......hes a weirdo.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Silver Crazy Silver Crazy Glad you're feeling better, so funny about Blue and your shirt...hmmmmm
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily Love your nails!!

Spent time with Daniel yesterday....we haven't had the opportunity to have a long chat since a year ago
as I was in such a wicked flare over the holidays. He picked me up yesterday after helper left. We got food
from McDonald's, pigged out and had a long chin-wag. He is going to make a nice dinner on Thursday.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My positive for today is not very exciting, but I replaced the four batteries in my scale and now it is giving me a more accurate reading. It was within a pound, but still annoying getting so many different readings. Now it works perfectly. :thumbsup:

Bonus positive: The batteries didn't leak. I hate checking the batteries on something after several years and finding that they leaked all over and ruined it. :)

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 grad school cover letters and materials sent, 1 more will be sent later as it is due today. Talked with a friend yesterday and she mentioned how she did 1 application a day until she heard an offer. Hearing that motivated the heck out of me, and while I was mainly focusing on small mammals (only 3 have shown up so far), I went back through all opportunities posted and found a bunch more that I'm applying to that deal with amphibians, turtles, plants, reclaimed land that used to be mined, and some that deal specifically with threatened or endangered species. They are in order of when due, haha. They all sound so much fun and exciting!

I also found some sites to apply for additional funding, like scholarships and grants, so I'll need to submit some of those at some point, too. Feeling very excited!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she's gained back almost 3/4 of it
Yay Abby! :cheerleader:

They all sound so much fun and exciting!
That does sound exciting! Education is so important. I hope you get your dream job. :crossfingers:

My positive for today is I bought a new hot sauce & it should be here any day now. I know, I need another hot sauce like I need a hole in my head. But the seller was pretty persistent. I put it in my cart and then they kept sending me emails about it saying it was the best sauce ever. So of course I caved. :lol:🌶🌶🌶

Status
Not open for further replies.