The Positive Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a good portion of my garden planted yesterday and I hope to finish today. My kids are working hard to finish school by next Friday and discussing how we will celebrate. They are spending every minute outside they can in this beautiful weather. Last night I sent DD to shower and the next thing I knew she was running around the backyard in her pjs with wet hair. :lol:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a feeling this will be a lazy day for me, i.e. loud storms woke me up early this morning. :storm: But the positive is I can relax with an extra cup of coffee and pamper Carleton all day long.:lovecat3:
Aw, the storms woke you. <3 I wake up early and was absolutely delighted about the rain and thunder this morning. Opened all three windows in the living room. Cats and I all enjoyed fresh air and hearing the nature noises. <3

Is it getting warm later for you, too? We are supposed to get into the 70's today, wooza!

I got a good portion of my garden planted yesterday and I hope to finish today. My kids are working hard to finish school by next Friday and discussing how we will celebrate. They are spending every minute outside they can in this beautiful weather. Last night I sent DD to shower and the next thing I knew she was running around the backyard in her pjs with wet hair. :lol:
Nice! What are you planting?

I just splurged and will be starting a container vegetable garden and keeping succulents again. Not sure where the plants will be after I move out... I gave away most of my other succulents because the kittens would pluck them out of the soil and just leave them there, ahahha. I'll be keeping them in my old room upstairs while home, away from my kitties. Excited to keep them again. I'll post some pics later of what is still alive.

Excited my first of multiple orders (...) are arriving today! Two gardening books. One about succulents and one for vegetable gardening. It will give me time to prepare and learn before my seeds and such get here.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is approximately my Willow’s ninth adoption anniversary. It’s been a long road from the nearly feral one year old she was but every year she has gotten a little closer to being a real house cat. Two years ago she was still running and hiding from imaginary threats dozens a times and she only allowed a few seconds of petting maybe once a week. Today she waits for me to sit in my recliner and immediately lays down beside me for a belly rub and a snooze. Her purring, which I didn’t hear for several years after adoptions is now so loud it drowns out the TV. She is not nor will she likely ever be a lap cat but she is darn close. And she remains the sweetest, most polite, most well behaved cat I have ever had.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, the storms woke you. <3 I wake up early and was absolutely delighted about the rain and thunder this morning. Opened all three windows in the living room. Cats and I all enjoyed fresh air and hearing the nature noises. <3 Is it getting warm later for you, too? We are supposed to get into the 70's today, wooza!
61 now, rain has stopped for the time being but it's supposed to start up again around dinner time - the grass and plants needed the rain so I don't mind just not a big fan of early a.m. storm activity

Positive thing about rainy days is that they are good for sitting with your feet up and reading a good book. 📖 With a furry companion by your side, of course.:zzzcat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I sent DD to shower and the next thing I knew she was running around the backyard in her pjs with wet hair. :lol:
I love this! ☀❤

keeping succulents again.
What are succulents? :think:

walked/danced 3 miles down trail and back. 🌻
I blame you that I'm dancing up & down the driveway when I take my walk now! :lol:

My positive has to be these playlists that Dad makes for my walks. Where does he find all these awesome forgotten album cuts? I only usually listen to Greatest Hits, but obviously the deep album cuts are where the treasures are. Next he is making me Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, and The Who... Can't wait to see what songs I discover...:)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is walk/dancing a new thing? I can see a park trail from my house and yesterday I saw this dude jog across the street and start up the trail. Then when I looked back out he was dancing for about 20 feet before he started running again. :lol:

My neighbors 2 doors down are getting a new roof today. I'm glad to see it because from my house I could see they were missing a good number of shingles. They really needed it. I hope they weren't getting water damage inside. The workers are getting it done quickly too! I believe the guy still works nights; so he'll be glad for then to finish quickly I'm sure. ;)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is walk/dancing a new thing? I can see a park trail from my house and yesterday I saw this dude jog across the street and start up the trail. Then when I looked back out he was dancing for about 20 feet before he started running again. :lol:

My neighbors 2 doors down are getting a new roof today. I'm glad to see it because from my house I could see they were missing a good number of shingles. They really needed it. I hope they weren't getting water damage inside. The workers are getting it done quickly too! I believe the guy still works nights; so he'll be glad for then to finish quickly I'm sure. ;)
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles it is not a new thing, it has been going on for a long time. I see it also, like it also to see. I usually dance and walk. :) :silver:❤

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is walk/dancing a new thing?
Maybe people are just happy that the weather finally warmed up. :thumbsup:

My positive is that we got our order from Aldi last night and I got some fun stuff- croutons, cinnamon granola, bananas, bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, canned peas, canned mushrooms, ricotta, sliced cheese, soy milk, almond milk, 2% milk, flax seed/sunflower seed/sesame seed tortilla chips. They didn't have my vegetarian hot dogs, but they substituted Asian veggie burgers which sound interesting.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia seems a lot happier today! Her tail is up and she's not skulking around, and she even let me pet her a bit. She's also running up and down the stairs a lot - I guess those are new and exciting for her. It looks like forgiveness for the move is slowly starting to come.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are succulents? :think:

Succulents are a type of plant that are tend to need a lot of sun and watered less often. They are also easy to propogate from leaves and clippings, so you can end up with a lot, if you want! To show how hardy they are, I packaged my plants into a box in Feb., I think. I gave some away and put the rest on the ledge above my closet, still in the box. Not really any light and no watering because I wasn't planning on keeping them. When I went to clean out my apartment a couple weeks ago... SOME WERE STILL ALIVE AND HAD GROWN!!! It was so surprising! But they are easy plants to keep as long as they are not over watered.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Kept forgetting to take pictures and wanted to include them in the response. Here are the ones that are alive or might be alive. The two close ups look "leggy" on the new growth. This is a typical growth response when the succulent is not getting enough light.I'll probably try to propagate the leaves or take some cuttings to regrow, but wanted to just water and let the plants recoup since they are probably under stress. Here are some pics! More to come when my clippings that were ordered arrive in the next week or two.

20200516_101906.jpg
20200516_101918.jpg
20200516_101930.jpg

Also made my first trip to a store in months to redeem coupons for free planters. Only supposed to redeem 2 at a time, so make a trip yesterday and this morning, and will do one more tomorrow morning. This is the first time receiving a whole book of coupons instead of just one item. It is through the website social nature, which offers free product coupons in exchange for writing product reviews. This site specifically gears towards more organic, vegan, vegetarian kind of products. Highly recommend :)

Excited to try these! I think they are made for indoors. Seems like I will have a lot of gardening to be doing the next couple of months to keep me busy.

20200516_102022.jpg

Attachments

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been meaning to dig up all the mulch in my backyard from when our huge maple tree was removed. My dog kept eating the woodchips and it was the most infuriating thing. So today, I had enough and just decided to start removing them. It took a while but I got most of them and also dug up the earth a little bit and leveled it off more. I'm going to go pick up a pack of grass seeds tomorrow to plant on the dirt patch. I would have planted flowers but my dog just destroyed all my moms budding lilies (she didn't eat them, just ripped them up).
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Tworagdolls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What podcasts do you listen to?
I listen to a few regularly.

Documentary on One (from RTÉ Irish radio).
The New Yorker Fiction Podcast.
This American Life.
Nomad Podcast.
Writers and Company (from CBBC).
In Our Time (from BBC Radio 4).
The Radio Three Documentary (from BBC).
Confession with Giles Fraser (from UnHerd).
The Confessional (by Nadia Bolz-Weber).
The Forum (from BBC Radio 4).
To The Best of Our Knowledge (from Wisconsin Public Radio).
RadioLab
Making Sense with Sam Harris.
On Being with Krista Tippet.
The TED Interview with Chris Anderson.

A few once off series that I particularly enjoyed were:

West Cork (from Audible).
S-Town.
The Nobody Zone (from RTÉ Radio 1).

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I listen to a few regularly.

Documentary on One (from RTÉ Irish radio).
The New Yorker Fiction Podcast.
This American Life.
Nomad Podcast.
Writers and Company (from CBBC).
In Our Time (from BBC Radio 4).
The Radio Three Documentary (from BBC).
Confession with Giles Fraser (from UnHerd).
The Confessional (by Nadia Bolz-Weber).
The Forum (from BBC Radio 4).
To The Best of Our Knowledge (from Wisconsin Public Radio).
RadioLab
Making Sense with Sam Harris.
On Being with Krista Tippet.
The TED Interview with Chris Anderson.

A few once off series that I particularly enjoyed were:

West Cork (from Audible).
S-Town.
The Nobody Zone (from RTÉ Radio 1).
My goodness!! Lots of great listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.