The Poop!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have written in where before about my (now 15/16 year old) boy Petey. Masses were found in Peteys stomach a little over a year ago. Due to the location and his age we decided not to investigate further as it seemed it would do more harm that good and just started hospice care. At the time he was throwing up blood and rapidly losing weight. I thought he’d be gone within a month or two. He was put on Gabapentin, started eating well and was seemingly the most happy he had ever been for the next 11 months. In comes diarrhea around January this year. Not runny, but super soft, a huge amount and horribly smelling. He started going anywhere he could from the floor to the couch. Anywhere but the litter box. He also started again to rapidly lose weight despite eating well. I took him to our vet who did some tests and X-rays. He said despite the diarrhea and weight loss that he looks good. I can’t remember exactly what he said about the X-rays but he said he couldn’t see anything and that it could be either a good sign or that the cancer has now spread through his stomach lining not allowing food to digest properly. We increased his Gabapentin and he started metronidazole. This was about a month ago. His poop has become firmer though some days it’s a little soft and he has put back in weight. Here is my dilemma. He is still pooping everywhere except the litter box(he pees in it fine). I am assuming he associates it with pain when pooping. I have tried litter attractant, puppy pads on the floor, a litter box is currently sitting in the middle of my living room with pellets (we normally use clay) I even tried a box with just a puppy pad to see if that would work. I am at a loss. Despite the pooping he is loving, playful, eating and drinking well and overall looks in decent health so it’s definitely not time to say goodbye, but I sure would love to get him to poop in the litter box or at the very least in that room! Any suggestions/ideas??

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue, but wiII give this some thought. My one real bit of advice is to have a good cat groomer give him a sanitary trim, keep the fur around his bottom VERY short, to keep soft poop from burning his IittIe bum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Petey has put weight back on and is showing signs of being playful, eating and drinking well. However, I'm sorry he is having an issue with pooping in the litter box. I thought this thread might have some helpful advice and information for you:
My cat keeps pooping outside of his litter box but urinating in it
Thank you! I’ll look at it and see if there are any suggestions we haven’t tried. Unfortunately, a lot of websites and posts are about getting to the root cause of the issue and we already know what that is
:( Thanks for your help!!

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no clue, but wiII give this some thought. My one real bit of advice is to have a good cat groomer give him a sanitary trim, keep the fur around his bottom VERY short, to keep soft poop from burning his IittIe bum.
He has pretty short hair. Luckily we have not had an issue with anything sticking (yet). Thank you for the suggestion!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that there is very little time between when he has the urge to go and his body just goes? Can you tell if his brain is being given the signal at all?

My 1st thought was to have boxes in every room. Last resort diapers. I think they're called stud pants. I don't know if they would be effective for poop.

Forti-flora was helpful when a friends cat with stomach cancer had diarrhea and greatly lessened the odor. A few times I was there the poop started coming out even before he squatted.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, they are called stud pants, and can help with poop if fitted properly. But you do have to be rigorous in cleaning bottoms (LOL, see sanitary trim).

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that there is very little time between when he has the urge to go and his body just goes? Can you tell if his brain is being given the signal at all?

My 1st thought was to have boxes in every room. Last resort diapers. I think they're called stud pants. I don't know if they would be effective for poop.

Forti-flora was helpful when a friends cat with stomach cancer had diarrhea and greatly lessened the odor. A few times I was there the poop started coming out even before he squatted.
I do think (and the vet does also) that this is the main reason he’s going wherever he’s at :(