The “plop”

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just asking, but whenever my cat does something wrong, we look at Velvet and say her name to make her stop. She looks back at us, stops what she is doing and just literally fall onto her side so her stomach is showing. It’s like she knows she doing something she’s not suppose to and tries to make herself look cute. Also she doesn’t do it when she is not doing something she isn’t suppose to. I just want to know if anyone else’s cat has a similar behavior. (Not a priority post, answer if you have time) Sorry I don’t have pics

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh we have plops, flops, and "trust falls". But they don't happen during bad behavior. Gohan does a "trust fall" when he is being pet - I think he gets so relaxed all his bones disappear and down he goes!

Olive flops over when she sees us and wants to be pet. Then there is a teeny cute meow and she looks up with those ridiculous green eyes ...

When I sa "No" to Olive or hiss if she is doing something wrong, she tends to back up and sit very straight, shocked I would ever think she was misbehaving. Or maybe still trying to figure out how to please me and eat my soup at the same time ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol it’s really funny how they do these things ; )
She does the same thing Olive does, even has green eyes : )

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Melody misbehaves and is told NO!, she first runs from my sight. Then, she almost immediately comes back and nonchalantly rubs against my leg or sits close. And, I also figure she is just trying to distract me and still make sure I will keep being her servant.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gwen used to do a trust fall as she gradually relaxed when I was petting her. she never fell off a bookshelf, though...

My two have never done a 'plop' like the one you're describing, CatsAreTheBest CatsAreTheBest , although Juniper did something similar (more like a boneless flop) when we tried to get her used to her first harness.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toffee and Fudge do trust falls from time to time - Toffee mostly - and particularly in the winter and colder weather when we use a blanket (they like to fall into the blanket so we can catch them).

They do flop a lot, but not in the same context and manner as described above.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yoshi does that when reprimanded he also comes over and cries up at me. He's 10yr, 16lb and have the voice of a 6wk kitten so it's extra cute. Sqeeker just stops and freezes.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm Salem freezes then goes back to growling at his brother. (which really is the only thing he does wrong.)
Dante? Well he freezes a second then he either comes up for snuggles or goes back to being naughty.... unless I'm clapping at him. Then he runs away for a few feet... then comes seeking reassurance snuggles.... which I always give.

As I'm writing this I keep thinking "Oh yeah I'm in charge and not at their beck and call!!! :rolleyes:"

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh we have plops, flops, and "trust falls". But they don't happen during bad behavior. Gohan does a "trust fall" when he is being pet - I think he gets so relaxed all his bones disappear and down he goes!
I love that term "trust fall"! Ireland does that, too, she falls/flops down and then rolls around waiting to be patted more.

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bud Dante does the trust fall where if I stopped petting him he would roll right off the bed. He gets so happy and relaxed that he forgets I guess??? He is also a goof ball who focuses so much on the hunt when he plays he will jump onto things or bump into them.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robin does the flop, especially when I’m sitting on the sofa. He even knows what “Wanna floppy next to mommy?” means. But he sure belies his Ragdoll DNA if he’s being naughty!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Trust fall" is brilliant! Raja does this when greeting anyone, she generally goes to the table that's by the entry way, rolls onto her back to expose her belly and gets so relaxed she has fallen off the table a few times! We've learned to stand closer so that she doesn't!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are those times when she goes outside and doesn’t want to be picked up so she does a trust fall and puts all of her weight into it : ). Or when we put on her harness.