The Pee Brothers!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK I cat sat for my mom for one week. She has 4 cats (1 semi feral that lives mainly outside, 1 senior cat, 2 kittens his siblings ..... he is closely bonded to his brother.) During that time my boy peed in interesting places (like my cooler bag!!!!) and her boy peed in plants and squatted on the edge of the litter box to pee right in front.

His brother (Nick) has been checked for a UTI and was cleared. Nick has had zero accidents since I brought my boy home. Now that my twerp Jackie is home, he to has had zero accidents.

The brothers get along great and there is zero conflict between them. My best guess is my boy Jackie felt pushed out, because I was doting on the senior cat and he lost my lap part of the time. Plus he was running wild with the four cats while I was there. I think my boy peed out of the box and then Nick though that was a great idea ....... and copied him!

Why am I posting? Well I need to go back for one day. We are going to try some feliway spray. Plus I’m bringing a bag of his scooped out litter from one of his litter boxes. I will be placing the litter in an extra tub so I can store it there and he can have access to it during his weekly play dates (usually a 6 hour visit.) We are going to try some feliway spray and I’m thinking about having him be the only one sleeping with me (the litter boxes and dry food is in the spare room.)

Any other ideas? On those rare times I need to spend the night I could keep him seperate in the spare room but I will only sleep there..... I won’t be there. We can stop play dates ..... but if it is at all possible I would like for them to keep them. Partly because my boy is alone and partly because they are a bonded pair. I’m working on trying to get Jackie deemed an emotional support animal to see if the apartment rules will then allow me to have a second cat. Jackie my cat is extremely attached to me and cries loudly if I leave to go get my mail!

The brothers during one of Jackie’s visits.
1DA012E5-042C-44D5-B934-44FF276983C9.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let's take the Occam's razor approach to this...almost always, if there isn't a health issue involved, and there doesn't appear to be one, pee issues are related to stress and anxiety. I'm inclined to think that this is stress related. Although they get along, and there is no conflict, any change in a cat's environment is instinctually seen as a territorial threat, and can cause inappropriate peeing. If you can do these "play dates" on a regular basis, I think that this will resolve itself over time...just pack a supply of a decent enzymatic cleaner! Generally, play dates with cats are a resounding failure, but it actually sounds like this situation could work with time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hasn’t peed on any play dates, just when he had to sleep over. So because I have to take him with me or leave by himself for over 24 hours .......... and I know that would really stress him out! He is so clingy I think he is overly attached!

So this time I will not give extra snuggles to the senior cat and his brother over him..... so he won’t feel his position on being the most loved by me is threatened. Basically I won’t let the senior cat hog my lap like last time. Hopefully that will soothe my neurotic twerp. Did I mention punk jr is half siamese, I’m his foster mom and he was super super clingy after his failed adoption caused him to be returned (for peeing on her bed a couple of times.)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I have a bottle of nature’s miracle there. All pee spots were cleaned by it ...... and my cooler bag :mad: (still annoyed about that one.) But the cleaner worked great and even removed the pee stain in the bag.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, the ONE TIME that Hekitty pee'd outside her box was in the left shoe of the only decent pair of shoes I owned at the time! They seem to do that, don't they?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK revision . We stayed an extra day (car problems) no pee!!! Yeah! I did hear he got in a scuffle/rough play with his sister downstairs while I was asleep upstairs. (My mom misinterupted his brother has bullying his sister (her baby) before and it was more he wanted to play/she didn’t want to play right then/she wrestled then walked away ..... waiting for her to stand her ground and start ruling the house.) That afternoon he was fine with her and went on a harness walk with his brother where they sniffed bushes together.

I doubt I will be sleeping over anytime again soon but if I do, he will be locked in the room with me while I sleep. Apparently he only feels secure when I’m in the room. No feliway was involved (I ordered some it will arrive soon) and I also brought over some of his toys, his crate, his binky he nurses on and my lap blanket he lays on most nights. That way he had his scent on things he owned. Plus I brought a plastic tub to serve as temporary litter box, to bring out from the garage when he visits (she refuses to have a litter box downstairs so when there is one all the cats use it.) I also got to work on getting his brother some harness time. I wish I could adopt his brother but my apartment has a very strict 1 pet rule.

Jackie home nursing his binkie:
D1A382EA-FE33-4401-AAA4-C2A48EBF94CE.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwwwwww! Lucky you, it's a binkie he nurses on. Hekitty uses my right arm, the inner elbow, and I look like I have a skin disease from the kneading! I think she'll outgrow it, she's only 10 years old (11 in a week). There's time, right? RIGHT?...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL hope springs eternal ..... seriously though listening to his sister and him nurse is beyond adorable!!! Tell me if she ever quits!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will, and hearing it makes me smile, too! That and the fact that while she's doing it she purrs so hard that she chirps makes all the tiny bloody spots worth it!