The Only Food He Eats Changed Help!

catcat73837

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I have a neutered male 5 year old cat. It took me 2 years to get him to eat a specific food consistently. My cat refuses any type of wet food such as pates, shreds, mouses even wet treats. At one point he starved himself and I was so desperate for him to eat I gave him science hills, purina and all of that! Finally I had found this site (new account now) and I noticed people kept mentioning a brand called Dr.Elseys specifically the chicken dry food. I couldnt believe it he ate it and loved it! He has since then always eaten the Dr.Elseys Chicken dry food every single day and is a healthy weight and so happy!

Unfortunately the newer batch of bags that expire on 2024 looked different they were such small pieces he would have to swallow them, dusty/powdery, yellowish tint. I sent the company an email and they said the company could not longer source certain ingredients there is a shortage therefore they are transitioning to a new formulation. My cat absolutely hates it and literally spits it out. I cant believe I am
back at square one after all this time of him eating well. I am very stressed and this is causing me so much anxiety. I thought I would come back here and get some help!

My question for you is which dry food in chicken/turkey flavor do you suggest is similar to the dr.elseys? No fish! High in crude protein. Low or no potatoes, vegetables and fruits. Or perhaps just any food you think a super picky cat will love and stay healthy on! I am willing to pay any price! Thank you!

Ingredients
Chicken, dried egg product, pork protein concentrate, gelatin, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil, potassium citrate, fructooligosaccharide, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid), calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide), taurine, mixed tocopherols (preservative), salt, dicalcium phosphate, rosemary extract.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do you have any of the original food that he liked left?

Can you try a really slow transition to the new food possibly? In other words, very small amounts of the new with the old?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I have a neutered male 5 year old cat. It took me 2 years to get him to eat a specific food consistently. My cat refuses any type of wet food such as pates, shreds, mouses even wet treats. At one point he starved himself and I was so desperate for him to eat I gave him science hills, purina and all of that! Finally I had found this site (new account now) and I noticed people kept mentioning a brand called Dr.Elseys specifically the chicken dry food. I couldnt believe it he ate it and loved it! He has since then always eaten the Dr.Elseys Chicken dry food every single day and is a healthy weight and so happy!

Unfortunately the newer batch of bags that expire on 2024 looked different they were such small pieces he would have to swallow them, dusty/powdery, yellowish tint. I sent the company an email and they said the company could not longer source certain ingredients there is a shortage therefore they are transitioning to a new formulation. My cat absolutely hates it and literally spits it out. I cant believe I am
back at square one after all this time of him eating well. I am very stressed and this is causing me so much anxiety. I thought I would come back here and get some help!

My question for you is which dry food in chicken/turkey flavor do you suggest is similar to the dr.elseys? No fish! High in crude protein. Low or no potatoes, vegetables and fruits. Or perhaps just any food you think a super picky cat will love and stay healthy on! I am willing to pay any price! Thank you!

Ingredients
Chicken, dried egg product, pork protein concentrate, gelatin, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), flaxseed, natural flavor, salmon oil, potassium citrate, fructooligosaccharide, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid), calcium carbonate, potassium chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide), taurine, mixed tocopherols (preservative), salt, dicalcium phosphate, rosemary extract.
C catcat73837 , oh no!!! I'm one of those people who's highly recommended Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken. One of our cats loves it, it's not the absolutely only food but it's the only one she'll eat consistently.

When you wrote to the company did they tell you what changed in the new formula? Did they remove the pork protein isolate? I notice that in the recipe that's on the Chewy site but it's not listed on the bag I have with a best by date of October 10, 2024. The food doesn't look that different to me but Ireland didn't want it when I put a few pieces on the floor. Then again, I don't often give her food that way. My biggest hope is that they didn't add chickpeas to the chicken formula.

In addition to Rawz, which Tobermory Tobermory mentioned, Stella & Chewy as well as Tiki also make dry food. All those three brands look much carbier, though, and I kept noticing lentils and peas, which I absolutely don't want to feed. Dr. E's other proteins -- duck and turkey among them -- also have chickpeas, though at least the carbs are in a low range, under 9% dry matter, rather than something like the 25% of Rawz. Tiki's chicken and egg dry matter carbs are around 15.3% according to Chewy. I'm not sure about S&C's.

I'm very sorry you're having this problem!

Edit: It looks like Dr. E's is now only making chicken and salmon dry food, no more duck or turkey.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcat73837

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, do you have any of the original food that he liked left?

Can you try a really slow transition to the new food possibly? In other words, very small amounts of the new with the old?
Nope I dont! But the company does have salmon version in stock. I thought maybe i could try the salmon. But i have read on here that fish is to be avoided. Do you think that would be okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcat73837

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C catcat73837 , oh no!!! I'm one of those people who's highly recommended Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein chicken. One of our cats loves it, it's not the absolutely only food but it's the only one she'll eat consistently.

When you wrote to the company did they tell you what changed in the new formula? Did they remove the pork protein isolate? I notice that in the recipe that's on the Chewy site but it's not listed on the bag I have with a best by date of October 10, 2024. The food doesn't look that different to me but Ireland didn't want it when I put a few pieces on the floor. Then again, I don't often give her food that way. My biggest hope is that they didn't add chickpeas to the chicken formula.

In addition to Rawz, which Tobermory Tobermory mentioned, Stella & Chewy as well as Tiki also make dry food. All those three brands look much carbier, though, and I kept noticing lentils and peas, which I absolutely don't want to feed. Dr. E's other proteins -- duck and turkey among them -- also have chickpeas, though at least the carbs are in a low range, under 9% dry matter, rather than something like the 25% of Rawz. Tiki's chicken and egg dry matter carbs are around 15.3% according to Chewy. I'm not sure about S&C's.

I'm very sorry you're having this problem!

Edit: It looks like Dr. E's is now only making chicken and salmon dry food, no more duck or turkey.
Thanks so much for your reply! I tried the rawz he didnt like it sadly but i can try the stella and chewy! Thanks again!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think that would be okay?
There is a concern of fish from the oceans containing mercury, but (although I'm not sure I believe this thought process ... ) there are studies that show smaller bodied fish have less of it.

I've been though the frustration of a cat that will only eat one brand of food, and totally refuses to eat anything else. It took several years but I did finally find a couple other brands he'd eat. I personally think that if I were in your particular situation, I'd obtain some of the food and see if your boy will eat it :vibes::crossfingers::heartshape: and perhaps in the future things will change and he'll hopefully become a little more accommodating and/or you'll find something else he'll eat.

meowmeow888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Ingredients
I rotate between Dr. Elsey’s and Young Again, which is also a low carb kibble. I feed my cat the Zero formula with their probiotic sprinkled in. You could also try their Low-Carb one to see if your cat likes it. They’re super responsive over email, and offer free samples as well!

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Young Again Mature Zero. It's chicken, and while has no fish or has 'fish oil'. I've read just the oil doesn't contain the allergen. Don't know if it's worth the risk to try it it not. You can always write the company. The owner actually responds directly and always responds to any questions. Her even called me once over some questions I had.
It's caked Zero, because it has less than 1% carbs in it. It's very high protein, and 100% of that is meat protein. Because they don't put plants in their food. As they say... Your cat is am obligate carnivore. It doesn't eat plants in the wild, and it shouldn't be eating them at home either.
It might seem a little expensive, but when you only feed a 10lb cat 1/4cup a day? It's really not. They eat less because of the diet. Because It's such a high protein content without fillers, they don't need more.Young Again

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Ingredients
Wow! I read your post and immediately thought you and your kitty cat and my kitty cat Buddy and I would get along great ! I have been thru exactly what you have!!

my kitty cat Buddy will ONLY eat dry food and the only one he digs into is “Purina Salmon and EGG Formula complete essentials ”.I won’t get into all the anxiety, stress, and money I’ve spent to try to get Buddy on wet food. I emphasize EGG formula because there’s a same looking bag that has RICE formula and I won’t give that to Buddy because rice has more carbs. The local pet store I go to that is VERY much into healthy ingredients told me that this Purina is more protein based than carb based.

I hope this can help! Looking forward to how it turns out!
With gratitude ,
Mary and Buddy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The local pet store I go to that is VERY much into healthy ingredients told me that this Purina is more protein based than carb based.
I'm not sure why they're making that statement since the product information doesn't include the nutritional analysis for carbs, so I suppose they're guessing to a certain degree based on ingredients. In any case, not to hijack the thread but you might consider seeing if your cat will consider a second, different brand of kibble to add not only variety of taste but variety of nutrients. Additionally, I hate to say it ('ve been there) but Purina may change the recipe for this product, and that way you'd have a back-up option.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why they're making that statement since the product information doesn't include the nutritional analysis for carbs. In any case, not to hijack the thread but you might consider seeing if your cat will consider a second, different brand of kibble to add not only variety of taste but variety of nutrients. Additionally, I hate to say it ('ve been there) but Purina may change the recipe for this product, and that way you'd have a back-up option.
I'm suspicious about the carbs of that Purina food, too, given the ingredients derived from potatoes, peas, and cassava root. Chewy gives the dry matter carbs as 25%, which I wouldn't consider low. On the positive side: probiotics and low phosphorus.

I understand about "the only food the cat will eat." Food fights with cats are stressful and draining for the cats and their humans. That said, I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom about trying to find a backup, for just in case. Case in point" the OP's problem with the Dr. Elsey's chicken food, which we also feed to one of our cats. She'll still eat the new recipe but she doesn't seem to love it like the old recipe -- she sometimes undereats. Fortunately, she'll eat some wet foods, if only in limited amounts, so I'm hoping we'll be able to get by with that, particularly since I'd rather she eat wet food anyway.

wawadoll8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure why they're making that statement since the product information doesn't include the nutritional analysis for carbs, so I suppose they're guessing to a certain degree based on ingredients. In any case, not to hijack the thread but you might consider seeing if your cat will consider a second, different brand of kibble to add not only variety of taste but variety of nutrients. Additionally, I hate to say it ('ve been there) but Purina may change the recipe for this product, and that way you'd have a back-up option.
I really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful response! Yes, I'm going to definitely be trying Buddy on some other dry foods as well. In fact, after reading this post, I read more about the Dr. Elsey's food and will see about trying to salmon kibble. Thank you!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really appreciate the thoughtful and helpful response! Yes, I'm going to definitely be trying Buddy on some other dry foods as well. In fact, after reading this post, I read more about the Dr. Elsey's food and will see about trying to salmon kibble. Thank you!
The carbs in Dr. Elsey's food should be much lower. I hope your cat likes the food!