The nuisance of fleas..

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many Adv II does the bobcat require? šŸ˜¹
I buy it in 2 Liter tubes :lol:
Actually, "my" calculations are (.1cc per lb. minus .1cc per cat).
Example: 12lb cat gets 1.1cc (1.2cc - .1cc = 1.1cc)
However, a 50lb short hair cat cannot be dosed accordingly. That much on the back of his neck at one time would be dripping off of his chest. SO, he simply gets dosed last and gets what's left over from a vile/tube. One vile is 4.0ml and after dosing the other three cats...there's almost 2.0cc left. So that's what he gets.
It seems to work fine, but, if he starts scratching or something, I'll give him another 2ml after two or three weeks.
A southern bobcat's summer coat is extremely short.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the vet techs told me i just had to put the spot treatment on and just vacuum which is what I did. But now Iā€™ll just vacuum and then spray the carpets and couch and wait a few days to spray again and repeat the process. We are going to do the spot on treatment again this weekend since itā€™s been two weeks. My main concern now is their comfort cause I canā€™t imagine how annoying it is to be bitten and itchy.

also... how did you end up with a bobcat!? Lol

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can update me on how that goes! Not sure how long it takes for that to start kicking in treatment wise but I am willing to try almost anything or just have it for future reference. Fleas are a nuisance for me now and i hope to defeat the issue soon but knowing my love for furry animals it probably wonā€™t be my last battle. (Although i truly hope it is)
I finally got around to applying the Fleabusters. I'll let you know in a week if I'm less itchy. Last night I was miserable.

As for the application, if you can swing it, I would evacuate your cats (maybe board them for half a day) while you apply it. Also wear a mask and have good ventilation. I have air purifiers that tells me the levels of particulate matter in the air. Even an hour after finishing application, they are telling me there is an elevated (though not poor) level of particulate matter. Cat seems less bothered by it than me though. I think if I need to reapply, I'll book a hotel room for me and the cat and contract one of the professional services partners to apply it for me.

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might do that. Weā€™ll see. I have left my panic phase and am now more so angry. So I decided to just countdown the number of days the kittens go without having live fleas on them. We were at day 2 until this morning when one of them was licking themselves and I see something jump on the white table. Grabbed that sucker and placed it in my hot water container I have when I comb them. I donā€™t know if itā€™s good or bad that i only see one flea each time we (my boyfriend and i) comb them. Itā€™s always just one. Iā€™ll take the one compared to the five that the black kitty had originally. We used the Adams and tick spray on our carpet but Iā€™m not sure if it was meant to be for the carpet or them. So Iā€™m just gonna use their designated carpet spray instead. If that doesnā€™t do it Iā€™m ordering Precor and leaving the cats out of it when itā€™s drying.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might do that. Weā€™ll see. I have left my panic phase and am now more so angry. So I decided to just countdown the number of days the kittens go without having live fleas on them. We were at day 2 until this morning when one of them was licking themselves and I see something jump on the white table. Grabbed that sucker and placed it in my hot water container I have when I comb them. I donā€™t know if itā€™s good or bad that i only see one flea each time we (my boyfriend and i) comb them. Itā€™s always just one. Iā€™ll take the one compared to the five that the black kitty had originally. We used the Adams and tick spray on our carpet but Iā€™m not sure if it was meant to be for the carpet or them. So Iā€™m just gonna use their designated carpet spray instead. If that doesnā€™t do it Iā€™m ordering Precor and leaving the cats out of it when itā€™s drying.
You canā€™t go by live fleas you see. There could be eggs, larvae, and cocooned adults to last you months even if you apply an IGR to both the cats and the premise.

Every flea product, the instructions always say, ā€œread all the instructions before use.ā€ Itā€™s not the most exciting reading, but I definitely recommend reading the Adams label and using appropriately. You can harm your cats using a premise spray on them or you can get nowhere using a cat spray on your premises.

But you also need to keep up with the laundry and the vacuuming. And between that and not reapplying the Adv 2 to Krista (sheā€™s got enough active health concerns that I donā€™t want to add to it), the fleas seem to have come roaring back. I still donā€™t see live fleas on Krista but Iā€™m itching like crazy. Iā€™ll review the fleabusters again. I think I need to reapply in 2-6 weeks. Iā€™ll probably evacuate Krista and me for a weekend at a local hotel the next application.

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You canā€™t go by live fleas you see. There could be eggs, larvae, and cocooned adults to last you months even if you apply an IGR to both the cats and the premise.

Every flea product, the instructions always say, ā€œread all the instructions before use.ā€ Itā€™s not the most exciting reading, but I definitely recommend reading the Adams label and using appropriately. You can harm your cats using a premise spray on them or you can get nowhere using a cat spray on your premises.

But you also need to keep up with the laundry and the vacuuming. And between that and not reapplying the Adv 2 to Krista (sheā€™s got enough active health concerns that I donā€™t want to add to it), the fleas seem to have come roaring back. I still donā€™t see live fleas on Krista but Iā€™m itching like crazy. Iā€™ll review the fleabusters again. I think I need to reapply in 2-6 weeks. Iā€™ll probably evacuate Krista and me for a weekend at a local hotel the next application.
oh I completely understand the flea cycle. I think Iā€™m more so counting down cause I wanna see how many fleas have hatched since we started treating them. I wash all my clothes and bed sheets as well as the blanket they use regularly and vacuum every other day as oppose to every day now. it was getting tiring doing it every time..

I think I might reapply the front line again in about a week since the vet told me I can wait two weeks and apply again. But weā€™ll see. I just feel for them for getting bit. Not to say I havenā€™t gotten bit. I noticed a few bite marks around my ankles I was so annoyed. Iā€™ve been wearing long socks since noticing the fleas..

I still have the DE that I havent used. Thereā€™s positive and negative reviews on it.

I hope in your case the flea busters works. Not just for your sake but your kittyā€™s too. I had bed bugs once so I now how the itching feeling is. Not the greatest time for me either. I think thatā€™s why I was so upset with fleas. Not the same thing but pretty damn close all things considered.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I completely understand the flea cycle. I think Iā€™m more so counting down cause I wanna see how many fleas have hatched since we started treating them. I wash all my clothes and bed sheets as well as the blanket they use regularly and vacuum every other day as oppose to every day now. it was getting tiring doing it every time..

I think I might reapply the front line again in about a week since the vet told me I can wait two weeks and apply again. But weā€™ll see. I just feel for them for getting bit. Not to say I havenā€™t gotten bit. I noticed a few bite marks around my ankles I was so annoyed. Iā€™ve been wearing long socks since noticing the fleas..

I still have the DE that I havent used. Thereā€™s positive and negative reviews on it.

I hope in your case the flea busters works. Not just for your sake but your kittyā€™s too. I had bed bugs once so I now how the itching feeling is. Not the greatest time for me either. I think thatā€™s why I was so upset with fleas. Not the same thing but pretty damn close all things considered.
DE did nothing for me but foul my airways and desiccate my skin. I saw no meaningful reduction in fleas to make that one worth continuing.

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah thatā€™s exactly why I decided not to do it. My boyfriend already has bad seasonal allergies I didnā€™t want to make things worse for him.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched from Advantage Multi to Advantage 2 and itā€™s working much better. Iā€™ve gone through all the above. Itā€™s a battle since I live in a moist swampy area filled with wildlife. Strictly indoor cats and no carpet here. I was finding live fleas in the vacuum. Itā€™s a canister vac. Bought a stronger vacuum cleaner but still found fleas at times. Tried Seresto at the vetā€™s suggestion for my flea sensitive cat. She still got bitten. I had been using Advantage 2 and then Frontline which worked for a good while but seemed to lose effectiveness. Thatā€™s why the vet prescribed Advantage multi. I think the fleas build up a tolerance after time but who knows. I have the Victor flea light traps which are great and lets me know if fleas start arriving. I wash everything and vacuum furniture. On my floors,I have started drenching the floor in dawn dish liquid and water and letting it stand before mopping it up. I have now treated my yard and found that the combination of everything is working. Whew! Thank goodness! Iā€™m sure the fleas come in as hitchhikers from the wildlife so it will always be an ongoing issue of having to stay ahead of it all. I have one room the kitties never enter and the fleas did pop up there. Itā€™s got some furniture stored there and is the lowest room in the house, also a door adjoining the low part of my yard. That may be an entrance too. I found some Black Flag upholstery spray and did use that. I blocked off the door thresholds when I sprayed. I found dying fleas. Yay! I just bought some DE too. I canā€™t stand finding a flea on my kitties.
Just keep at it. Breaking the cycle and then maintaining will get rid of them. Good luck.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, it's not worth the mess. Sprinkle it around the house and you'll have dust inside your fridge. :lol: :lol:
Iā€™m kind of feeling that way with the Fleabusters. But I havenā€™t really given it a chance yet. Also, I think I need to put some in my car. Or pay for a detailing already. I can still smell the Fleabusters and I wonder what its doing to Kristaā€™s smaller lungs. Today will be the second vacuuming. Then weā€™ll be off back to the dentist tomorrow for a couple of nights where the air is even worse because of the fires. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ™Š

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The hardest stage to kill is the pupa. Flea pupae are virtually impenetrable to almost every "poison" we use on flea infestations, and the pupa stage is variable as to its time length. The only way to deal with pupae is through cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning... and you HAVE to treat all pets (dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits... using whatever methods are safe), plus the house, plus the yard. If you have wildlife visitors, the best you can hope for is a reduction in the number, and you will have to be diligent. That means regular vacuuming and emptying canisters and bags. Pay attention to corners, upholstery, baseboards, tile cracks, pet and human beds, anywhere that a larva, egg or pupa can hide.

I treat my yards with spinosad, which does seem to help for fleas and other yard pests, but you should keep your cat out of the yard until the treatment is dry. Be aware that spinosad affects beneficial honeybees until it dries, so try to avoid treatment if bees are actively working in the area. I've also applied DE to the areas outside around the foundation and door thresholds. You may need to rotate products every few months to reduce resistance. We rotate between Advantage and Bravecto, and it seems to help a lot. We live in a major flea area, where fleas are an issue all year since we don't have "real winters" where it gets deeply cold for very long, and seldom below the teens for any period of time. So, flea control is ongoing here!

smichelle88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never vacuumed so much I sometimes wonder what my neighbor downstairs think lol. Iā€™ve never been so thorough either. Iā€™ve done every crevice I can find and the couch gets the most action since thatā€™s where they mostly sleep. I have seen a decrease in their grooming so that makes me feel better and Iā€™m sure they feel better as well.
I sometimes wonder what the purpose of these parasites are when Iā€™m like 2 hours into vacuuming my place. I donā€™t understand their purpose besides survival.
Iā€™m kind of feeling that way with the Fleabusters. But I havenā€™t really given it a chance yet. Also, I think I need to put some in my car. Or pay for a detailing already. I can still smell the Fleabusters and I wonder what its doing to Kristaā€™s smaller lungs. Today will be the second vacuuming. Then weā€™ll be off back to the dentist tomorrow for a couple of nights where the air is even worse because of the fires. šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ™Š
How long will you wait until you decide the flea busters isnā€™t working? Or are you gonna call in a professional to reapply it? I do hope it starts working.

I treat my yards with spinosad, which does seem to help for fleas and other yard pests, but you should keep your cat out of the yard until the treatment is dry. Be aware that spinosad affects beneficial honeybees until it dries, so try to avoid treatment if bees are actively working in the area. I've also applied DE to the areas outside around the foundation and door thresholds. You may need to rotate products every few months to reduce resistance. We rotate between Advantage and Bravecto, and it seems to help a lot. We live in a major flea area, where fleas are an issue all year since we don't have "real winters" where it gets deeply cold for very long, and seldom below the teens for any period of time. So, flea control is ongoing here!
I think I have to wait a few months before I ask my vet for a different flea medication. When we followed up for their final distemper vaccines and rabies he asked how the fleas were going and I told him. All I got was ā€œjust give it a few months.ā€ Lol easier said than done! Luckily, I live in Chicago so our winters are pretty cold and the only wild animal Iā€™ve seen is rats and the very occasional coyote. but still, gotta stay diligent with everything.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long will you wait until you decide the flea busters isnā€™t working? Or are you gonna call in a professional to reapply it? I do hope it starts working.
At least the week since weā€™re heading out of town. But I think I also need to treat my car (or get it detailed) and I donā€™t want to do that until after the dentist road trip with Krista.

I might hire a professional to reapply it if needed. Fortunately Krista travels well. We could have a weekend staycation at a local pet friendly hotel while the pros treat the apartment.