The Nose Knows ?

splasha1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty spent the 1st 18 months of her life, as far as I know, outside. When she turned up, a skinny little thing, on my back door stop she would eat any food from all varieties of cat food to both raw and cooked chicken, steak, and fish.

Flash forward about a year since giving birth and raising kittens, getting fixed, and the easy transition to lone indoor cat, holding at 14 lbs. Other then consumption of about 3/4 cup of Nutrish dry cat food, and a few occasional "soft in the center" cat treats, although she will run over and sniff whatever is put in her bowl; mouth doesn't open and there is nothing else she will eat. Is this the only cat that will not eat fresh fish or chicken ?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kibble can prove somewhat addictive to some cats. It's because of the animal digest that it gets coated in to increase palatability.

If you want to keep her on a kibble only diet, then it's important to take extra measures to keep her hydrated enough - left to themselves, cats won't drink enough to compensate for the dryness of kibble. This article has some great ideas http://www.thecatsite.com/a/tips-to-increase-your-cat-s-water-intake

If you want to get her eating some wet food, using fortiflora as a topper can really help. You don't need to use the amount the pack states, as you want it for flavour instead of the probiotics. This article has tips on how to get kibble addicts eating wet food again http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is definitely NOT the only cat who won't eat FRESH fish or chicken.  Many cats have absolutely no idea that they are supposed to be eating actual meat vs something out of a can or bag
.  Some cats, when offered the "real deal" will dive right in.  I would say the majority must be coaxed.  Mine certainly needed prompting...it took months and months before they were eating real raw meats, and then in the end, they decided they really didn't like it afterall , so back to cans we went