The New Cat On The Block

Arvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meow,

I am the new cat on the block. I am a proud owner of a chocolate labrador called Harry Potter who is 2 years old and I am now thinking of buying a 46 days old Persian cat. So I have never adopted or raised a Persian before so I was thinking what the new person in the family would like and require and also what to take care etcetera because it is one thing to search articles for the same and it is totally different to learn it from fellow cat lovers.

A lot of help would be appreciated,

Meow Meow

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another warm welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: Glad to hear you are considering a Persian cat but i'm just a bit biased since this is my 3rd Persian. :wink: There are many knowledgeable members on the forum who also have a lovely Persian(s).

I have had the pleasure of sharing my home with both a dog and a cat. They make great companions but you may want to consider waiting a bit since a 2 year old lab might be a tad overwhelming for a young Persian kitten. Persians are very docile and although the labrador retriever is a wonderful breed it may be a bit too rambunctious at 2 years of age for a Persian.
Best of luck, do your research, and take your time finding the perfect cat for you. :goodluck:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he said that I can adopt the cat today? I don't know I haven't asked him this. As I said I am a novice when it comes to cats, by the way, what is an adoptable age?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
he said that I can adopt the cat today? I don't know I haven't asked him this. As I said I am a novice when it comes to cats, by the way, what is an adoptable age?
The longer a kitten can stay with its mother, the better. In my area, most breeders make their kittens available at four months of age. A few will go as early as 14 weeks, and some others will wait until five months. I agree with 1CatOverTheLine that 46 days is too young for a kitten to be adopted. If you can find a breeder that allows for the kittens to have more time to spend with their mother and siblings, that would be best, because then the kitten could become more socialized.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-100.jpeg
A warm welcome to you and to Harry Potter! And of course, to your kitten when he or she is old enough to leave his mother and come home to you!

I don't have much to add to what everyone else has already said about waiting longer before taking him from his mama. In fact 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine even linked to the article I had chosen as a good introduction to the subject! The paragraph below comes from that article, CatBuyerGuide - What Age To Adopt? :

"What is true is that a kitten separated from their mother too young may not learn to bond properly at all. The weeks between six and twelve weeks of age are an important time for a kitten’s emotional and mental development. It’s during this time that the kitten learns "cat language" (the body language used by other cats), learns to socialize properly with mother and siblings, learns that humans are really OK -- most very young kittens largely ignore the humans around them -- and develops the confidence to face the outside world alone. By age twelve weeks, the mother-kitten bond is beginning to break naturally. A kitten separated from the mother and siblings before this process is over may have lifelong problems interacting with other cats; may never be able to bond with humans properly; be fearful, skittish, or shy; and develop inappropriate attachments to items".

I know it's a long wait if you have you heart set on a specific kitten who is only 46 days old. The breeder should welcome an occasional visit, though. You can also use the time to really prepare for his arrival by reading the articles recommended above and getting your house ready for him. And when you do finally bring him home, please post lots of pictures of him. We love photos of cats around here - there is no such thing as too many.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to Harry Potter! Is the new kitten male or female? Will s/he have a Harry Potter name as well? Yes, keep her with her mama for as long as the breeder will allow it! Seven weeks is just too young. Although if he says "I'll get her another home," TAKE HER! I'd rather her be with you, a caring, loving person who wants the best for her, than with someone who neither knows nor cares what is best for her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arvee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually the thing is that my dad told me that his friend has got a Persian. So I am forced to impatiently waiting for it. :( Oh it is a torment. Yes I am thinking of giving it probably name it as Ginny? :)
Welcome to you and to Harry Potter! Is the new kitten male or female? Will s/he have a Harry Potter name as well? Yes, keep her with her mama for as long as the breeder will allow it! Seven weeks is just too young. Although if he says "I'll get her another home," TAKE HER! I'd rather her be with you, a caring, loving person who wants the best for her, than with someone who neither knows nor cares what is best for her!

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ginny! I love that character. I am a huge fanboy of the books. And no other dog breed is more perfect for the Harry Potter name than a lab. A friend to all with a great loyalty.

Welcome!