The Name is Cat, or mollismama

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the kittens finally coming!    Your link didn't work for me either. It just took me to the pregnant cats & kitten care page. ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you every one for the congrats and the pointers! Just wanted to give y'all a quick update. Molli and the kittens are doing great! The kittens are weighing in at what they should be. Molli has let me handle them more that I thought she would. Our runt had to be renamed Little Lunar.... She is a He. He is always fighting to get to the food and most of the time not winning. Now when I hear him meow I go help him find a nipple and set him on top of the other kittens. It worked out great. Molli has come to expect it, I have turned into a nurse maid. He is keeping up with his weight gain so I know he is getting enough. I have not had any more problems with Molli trying to leave them. She leaves the closet to use the litter box around the corner but goes right back to her babies.

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a small update and a question. Every one is happy and healthy. My Little Lunar is keeping up with his brothers and sister. He is a smidge smaller but not by much anymore. He fights his way into the feeding frenzy and normally comes out on top. Poe's name has changed. He is now Helsing. He is th one we are keeping. He knows my sent! Even though his eyes are closed as soon as I walk into the closet he is turning his head and meowing at me, then crawls to the edge of the box. I am planning on taking pictures tomorrow as they will be 1 week and will post them for y'all to see.

Now for the question. I know cats can go into heat after having their kittens, but how soon is soon? Molli has been acting like she is going to run out the door. We have kept a close eye on her and stopped her. She seems like she wants to but doesn't fight us when we stop her and goes back to her babies.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she might be coming back into call now.  Any time from a few days is possible.

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is being very closely watched. She will NOT get out! I'll die before she gets pregnant. She is going to be spayed as soon as she has weaned her babies. I have the money put to the side. The kittens are cute, but there is no way I want her to have any more. All have good homes already. One person was insisting I let the runt go at 8 weeks. I said NO way! I am keeping them til 12 weeks.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good you are keeping the kittens for 12 weeks, hopefully they will be vaccinated before they go, or at least have had their first shot.  They need worming as well.

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good you are keeping the kittens for 12 weeks, hopefully they will be vaccinated before they go, or at least have had their first shot.  They need worming as well.
I already have everything planned out. They will not be leaving til they have been wormed and had their first shots. I couldn't let them knowing they were not protected. They have turned into my babies just as much as Molli's :)

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I promised pics yesterday, but had a migraine and a half for the past few days. Yesterday was the worst. I now am finally feeling back to my old self so here are the pics I promised!

Little Lunar (runt) His eyes opened today!

They are getting all over the box now so hard to get a pic of them all.

They are all growing very well and turning into little rolly polly babies!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How cute are they!

Love little Lunar doing the stretchy thing..

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These pics are adorable!!!! Especially little Lunar opening his eyes! I was so happy to read that Molli had finally had them and that it all went so well. 

I'm so glad you are taking precautions to keep Molli in as it does sound like she's going back into heat, and that you plan to keep all the babies until 12 weeks and are going to have them wormed and given their first shots. I just have to add (in good conscience) that you consider having them all fixed as well. As you know firsthand it's all too easy to put having their surgeries done on the back burner. Try talking to your vet about a discount for having them all altered and then charge an adoption fee to cover your costs. In my opinion any good adopter is going to be willing to pay for their new family member's vet work so long as you have the records to prove it. If it's something you would consider I know there are several users on here who would happily help you brainstorm the best (and most affordable) way to go about it.

I fully get that things happen and even with the best of intentions cats get pregnant like Molli did. Molli is just extremely lucky that she has a caretaker who has stepped up to the plate, taken responsibility, and done everything possible to make sure she had a safe delivery and is helping her to raise well socialized, healthy babies. By letting Molli's kittens go unaltered there is a good chance that they will end up pregnant or develop behavioral problems (unaltered males tend to spray and once they start it's really difficult to break the habit). Unfortunately their new families may not be as awesome and as accommodating as you have been, and either of these things are quick ways for them to get booted from the house. The only way to stop the cycle and ensure they won't have to go through it is to stop it yourself. Honestly, making sure they don't reproduce is the best gift you can give to them! 

Okay, okay I'm getting off my soapbox now.  
 I'm just glad to hear things are going so well- keep the updates coming! 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How cute are they!

Love little Lunar doing the stretchy thing..
I know! Little Lunar is by far the cutest. If you could hear him though! When he goes into one of his fits; getting onto everyone and screaming you would almost swear he is being murdered by his brothers and sister! I have NEVER heard anything like it. It's quite annoying. Never thought I would say that about one of them!

@EB} I do not know which part to quote! You are so kind! I also understand your soap box and concern. I am actually having 3 of them fixed. The 4th (Little Lunar) is going to my ex-husband

One thing we always did was take care of our babies, so I am not worried. We both have different vets, so he wants to start out by getting him nutered himself and by his vet. I can't fault him for that. He wants his baby to see who he thinks is the best (although I disagree with who is the best. HE HE!)

Also, it is great to hear from you; I was wondering when you would resurface
Hope you are well

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@EB} I do not know which part to quote! You are so kind! I also understand your soap box and concern. I am actually having 3 of them fixed. The 4th (Little Lunar) is going to my ex-husband

One thing we always did was take care of our babies, so I am not worried. We both have different vets, so he wants to start out by getting him nutered himself and by his vet. I can't fault him for that. He wants his baby to see who he thinks is the best (although I disagree with who is the best. HE HE!)

Also, it is great to hear from you; I was wondering when you would resurface
Hope you are well
Well I'm glad it came across kind! Unfortunately this can be a touchy issue and sometimes users get upset at the mention that they should fix all the kittens. As always it sounds like you are planning to go above and beyond! 

It's good you trust your ex that he will have Lunar neutered. One thing you can also do is drop him off at the ex's vet and have the ex pick him up there after the surgery. Although, I do think that causes stress for the kitten (to be dropped off by one person and picked up by another). Of course shelters do it but if you can avoid it then I probably would. I have no doubt you will badger him until he gets the job done! 

I'm still lurking around- sorry I haven't posted much. I like to try to answer posts from people that have not yet received a response, and usually by the time I finish that I have used up all my TCS time for the day. I chime in when I have something to add. Otherwise, I just read along! 

Although, now I'm on a posting strike until you put up some new cute pics. I need a kitten fix!