The Name is Cat, or mollismama

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I did see and replied. I was trying to figure out how to delete the post before you posted since I had 2 and mentioned it. They must have deleted it for me. I actually posted this in New Cats and it was moved.

Update: She finally went into her box but still didn't like it, so I set up a second for her in the closet. She decided she liked the first ones placement better I guess. As of this morning still no babies but I had a horrible dream that she was trying to get to her box and there was a strange puppy chasing her. She was so scared she had all her babies at once and the puppy ate them! I woke up in a sweat and freaking out only to find her sleeping safely in her box. I think the whole process is starting to wear on my body!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh don't worry you didn't do anything wrong. As you said a mod just moved your New Cats on the Block post rightfully thinking you would get more replies here, not realizing you had already done the same thing. I was just looking through the unanswered posts and saw the one that no one had replied to and wanted to get something back to you ASAP. I didn't realize MY error until it was too late. The mod moving the post was absolutely the right thing, and sometimes double threads just happen. 
 I did ask them to delete the other just so you wouldn't be getting advice in two different places. 

Just so you know users can't delete posts, only moderators can. So, if it ever happens again just flag it and explain what happened and ask that the duplicate be removed. 

That's good that she's showing some interest in her box. Even if it seems like she doesn't like it that may just be her trying to get used to it. Sometimes I do think the 'waiting game' is harder on us than it is on them! Hopefully she will have them soon and put your nightmares to rest!

It sounds like you have done your research and are as prepared as you can be. Don't worry you will do great! 

Keep us posted! 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good that she's showing some interest in her box. Even if it seems like she doesn't like it that may just be her trying to get used to it. Sometimes I do think the 'waiting game' is harder on us than it is on them! Hopefully she will have them soon and put your nightmares to rest.
Still no babies... gah! I really do think it I harder on u than them waiting. I didn't even want to leave the house today. I did do my shopping for more blankets and read up on kmr I have been hearing so much about. Also slowly switching to kitten food. That is one thing I learned in these posts :) I also stocked up on kitty litter.

She has been extra moody and mean today. She even snappy at me... twice! Shocked me. I guess it's all because of her impending babies.

I will keep you updated!

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, please excuse the typos... I'm on my tablet and the thing is trying to make me look stupid!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's good you have stayed close by so that you don't miss the birth. Hopefully it will be soon. 

She does need to be on kitten food and should be allowed to eat as much as she wants. Dry food should always be out and then you should feed her wet a few times a day as well. That's how the kittens will learn to eat (is by watching Mom and mimicking her) so having her on wet food is important developmentally as well as nutritionally. 

KMR is great stuff to have on hand but hopefully you won't need it. It should only be used in case of an emergency and the kittens are unable to get milk from Mom. If any of the kittens start to lose weight they need to be seen by a vet ASAP to figure out why. If for some reason you do need to bottle feed be sure to read up on how to do it and watch some videos first. Kittens have to be fed a specific way to avoid getting milk into their lungs. Again, it's great to have on hand but use caution in giving it to them, and only do so on a vet's recommendation OR in the case of absolute life and death necessity. 

Moodiness is normal. Pregnant cats are no different from pregnant humans in that respect! 

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of the exact date. It was in the early teens of November. I'm expecting it to happen any day now.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, just read through this thread. I have no experience w/ birthing, but just wanted to say good luck! Sounds like you are prepared. -And welcome to TCS!
 You have come to the right place.

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I feel like I have learned a lot just from everyone commenting on this. It really has eased my mind. Now it's just the stressful waiting game!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the people on this site are great!  I found it a year ago this past November, & have learned more than I ever thought I'd know, sense I'm a first time "Meowmy" too.
  Lots of support & Knowledge here, I love it!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checked. I can safely say between the 17th and 21st of this month.
That's good you've got some dates, though there are lots of signs birth is approaching having a time range makes it a little easier

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what to expect - and you take them out of call, either with accupressure or it's Dargo's luck day and he gets to do it.
Not always, sometimes they have to call to fit in with my plans, or wait for their flight out and they don't try to escape.
I've never seen a girl, even when in the most hysterical heat (as a few of mine get) trying to escape is what I was saying.
Likewise the silent caller, whom you cannot predict is fine.

Last edited:

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not always, sometimes they have to call to fit in with my plans, or wait for their flight out and they don't try to escape.
I've never seen a girl, even when in the most hysterical heat (as a few of mine get) trying to escape is what I was saying.
Likewise the silent caller, whom you cannot predict is fine.
I am a little lost here seeing as I don't breed. Molli was yowling when she went into heat and managed to squeeze between my legs as I was coming in the door. She has always been an indoor cat, so I have been assuming the reason she ran out was because she was in heat. So, here is my question. Is what you are saying, is that she shouldn't have escaped just because she was in heat, and if there was a caller outside (I never heard him but it is quite possible.) would that have been what made her want to escape?

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, the people on this site are great!  I found it a year ago this past November, & have learned more than I ever thought I'd know, sense I'm a first time "Meowmy" too. :D   Lots of support & Knowledge here, I love it!
I love it too! This is my first thread. I never expected the responses I am getting!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Is what you are saying, is that she shouldn't have escaped just because she was in heat, and if there was a caller outside (I never heard him but it is quite possible.) would that have been what made her want to escape?
No, doesn't mean there was a male outside. Just saying my girls don't run for the door while in heat. OS was commenting that I usually don't let my girls cycle in and out of heat (as it's bad for their health) but sometimes I do let them have a heat cycle so I can mate them when it suits me, taking them off call last for 8-10 weeks and I may want to mate them inbetween that time.

I've never seen a girl desperate to escape.

Now you know to be extra careful the next time she calls 
 Which she likely will before the kittens are 12 weeks old and rehomed. Mine go anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks after birth, others are luckier and the girls wait 8-10 weeks.

Last edited:

mollismama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks you, and I miss read. I didn't expect her to go that crazy! I was also hoping to have her spayed before her first heat and that came about a month too late! I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her when she goes into heat again. I do not have the money to be raising several litters of kittens! I have spent well over 200$ in the past week just getting ready for the babies! Spaying is a must!