The Most Precious Gift - And It's Free!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I were always blood donors for as far back as I can remember, until we no longer qualified. It started at work when we got "Kiss me! I gave blood!" stickers. Who wouldn't want to get away from hard work for half an hour, lie down on the job, and get free juice and cookies, too? A small needle stick that really didn't hurt. And best of all was the knowledge that we were saving someone's life. We had blood drives at work, and the motorcycle group we belonged to supported the community with its own blood drives. I don't know how many gallons we shared.

Someone's generosity kept both my mother and father -in-law alive. And now it's been my turn. Severe anemia from total kidney failure caused my dipstick to read a pint low twice this year. Fortunately there was blood on hand for a refill. This time the dipstick says I'm a full quart low. It should be easy to just pop in for a refill. But it isn't. The holidays are critical times for blood shortages. People are just too busy to take those thirty minutes to to save a life. Stopping and relaxing for a short time and giving a precious gift at the same time. What could be better? It doesn't hurt. You can't get any disease. It's free.

The holidays don't have to be about material things. Please take those short minutes to give the most important gift of all. Give the gift of life. I never expected it to come back to me, but it did. Even if it never had, I know I saved lives. And that's a wonderful feeling.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Red Cross has a rule about not being able to donate if you lived in Europe during a certain timeframe. Apparently, there's a remote possibility that I was exposed to mad cow :rolleyes3:

Because of this, I always try to encourage people to donate. Even though I can't do it myself, I hope that I'm still making a difference.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried donating, but it's too hard on me. I was even refused once. I'm anemic and have low blood pressure.
I could try again as it's been well over a decade since the last time I tried. I just need to get my head wrapped around the whole "giant needle" thing first, gotta psych myself up to get past the heebie jeebies needles give me!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to donate as often as I can. Unfortunately, there isn't always a place to do it that is convenient for me (or when I'm not working). The last time I donated was at the State Fair in August. I wasn't planning on donating, but it was there, so I figured, why not? I should check the Red Cross app to see if there is a time I can do it again soon.

ETA: I just checked and there is a blood drive happening on Friday at a church a mile from my apartment, so I scheduled an appointment. I'll get some exercise in as well since I plan on walking there.

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can never donate blood due to being given human derived growth hormone as a child. I was rather pissed when I found out.
That's too bad.

My husband is O-, and a multi-gallon donor, but at this point he's on enough medications that he's barred from giving any more blood; as am I.

Margret

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have received blood twice so I know the importance of donating unfortunately I am unable to become a donor. But I would if I could family members donate.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't for awhile because you have to weigh 110 and I was 2 pounds short, then I gained weight and donated but can no longer because of some of the meds I take.Thanks for posting this as I will tell everyone I speak with to please donate.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Red Cross has a rule about not being able to donate if you lived in Europe during a certain timeframe. Apparently, there's a remote possibility that I was exposed to mad cow :rolleyes3:

Because of this, I always try to encourage people to donate. Even though I can't do it myself, I hope that I'm still making a difference.
I can't donate for this reason. I was stationed in Germany during those times. They have had this rule for years so I don't think it is going away. The theory is that most people have a natural immunity to mad cow so someone could be carrying it without displaying symptoms. A carrier's blood could be given to one of the small minority who is not immune and they would come down with the disease.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I forget how much blood Rick's mother has given. She was there all the time, until she got too old to give anymore.

Rick has a rare blood type and there were times when the hospital would actually call him out of work to give blood during an emergency. He always went. Because of the meds he's on (for epilepsy) he can no longer give blood.

And because I have high blood pressure, I am not allowed to give blood either.

Believe me, we would if we could.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have health issues.and take medication...so unfortunately that has knocked me out a significant part of my life of being able to donate blood...Cause that is the most precious gift a person can GIVE...And it dont cost a nothing..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave many times when I was working at my first job. But now I am anemic and can't give. I disagree with you. That needle does hurt. I am scared to death of needles.
LOL
I'm sorry. It depends on who is doing it. I had to have blood drawn for testing and the woman who did it was fabulous. It didn't hurt at all. I have had experiences when it hurt too and that's the worst.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. It depends on who is doing it. I had to have blood drawn for testing and the woman who did it was fabulous. It didn't hurt at all. I have had experiences when it hurt too and that's the worst.
I get stuck for bloodwork twice a year. I feel like a pin cushion! For the most part I get a good nurse to draw but, I have had some really bad ones too in the past 25 years