The Most Precious Gift - And It's Free!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks to all of you who tried or used to be able to donate. Even greater thanks to those who are still rolling up their sleeves. I was able to get my two pints on Friday thanks to two people I'll never be able to thank. I can now walk to the kitchen without gasping like a beached whale. You can't imagine how good it feels!

Please help keep those donations flowing year-round. There are a huge number of people whose lives depend on them.

For me, life is good.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to thank you for this post.

For many years I've not donated blood as I have one of the genes for Hemochromatosis. (You need both gene to have Hemochromatosis.) I was checked years ago when both my father and Aunt tested positive for it and had a slew of health issues. At the start, at least way back when they tested me, it was thought to be rare, turns out with Celtic blood running through your veins - not so rare at all.

They were also unsure if I could give blood so I gave up on the idea of being able to.

In recent years Hemochromatosis is now on the books and there is more information available. I carry the one gene (not both) that no one knows what it does - lucky me lol

Your post prompted me to check again and see if things have changed. They have. I can donate and I've made an appointment to do so.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
XOXO Thank you really. Because you had the courage to post this, it prompt me to revisit the issue.

Out of 9 of us between Canada and the UK, six have committed to donate blood now that blood services have confirmed it's perfectly fine. One can't as they caught the Hemochromatosis too late and health issues prevent them from being accepted. We'll work on the other two. They are petrified of needles but we'll see if we can't get them past that.

XOXOXOXOXOXOX

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Now you've really got me crying. Thank all your friends for me. And tell the needle shy ones not to look. It hurts only briefly and very very little. As we know, an ant bite or bee sting hurts a lot worse and longer.

You've done a great job. I hope the ripples spread!

Maybe if more people take the time to read all of this thread we can get even more to donate.

Here's to the gift of life!