The Most Ideal Dry Cat Food

Angelia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have an American Shorthair and he will be 3 years old in March, have been feeding him Ziwi Peak since he's a kitten and I only feed him twice a day around half a cup each time. I feed him treats maybe once a week? My concern is he's 8KG and I wonder if he is overweight? Should I feed him another brand? If yes, which brand should I feed? He's neutered and healthy except for the weight

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be you're just feeding too much food. 1 cup a day might be more than what he needs. Calorie amounts differ based on cat's activity level and the food's calorie density. Generally it's suggested to feed around 20-30 calories per lb of ideal weight, depending on the cat's activity level. If you do put him on a diet make sure to do it slowly over time so it won't be a huge shock to his system.

My lazy 12lb kibble lover eats only 1/2 cup a day (around 278 cal). I checked with my vet that it seems 11-12lbs is ideal for his body size. He's able to maintain this weight on this calorie plan.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding the correct amount of calories is more important than the brand of food. Kind of like Cereal X supposedly being healthier than Cereal ABC when it's not.

It's suggested to feed 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. Calorie content is listed on the package as kcal. Ignore the feeding amounts on the package. The amounts are way too much for cats. It looks like some of the ZiwiPeak dry foods are around 300 calories per cup, too much IMO.

8 kg (17 lbs) is a lot but it may be normal for the American Shorthair breed? The CFA web site says 11 to 15 lbs is average for male cats of the breed. What does your vet say about your cat's weight?

Do you feed any canned / wet food? It's a lot easier to count calories with wet food than dry and it's so much healthier for cats than any dry food.