The Most Fantastic Cat Names Ever? Bring Them On!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I want to write a cute guide suggesting really awesome cat names to people.

Want to help me brainstorm here?
Post in this thread with the best cat names you can think of!

Obviously pretty much anything can be a cat name so let's focus on names that are somehow meaningful for felines. I hope that makes sense? For each name, I'd like to explain the meaning to users and which cat it's best for, so for example "Patches" describes the coat pattern is a name for a calico or a bicolor cat with patches.

I may work it into a database, so this is what I need for each name -

The name - Male/Female/Either - Meaning

So for example, lines in the reply would look like -

1. Kitty - Either - A classic cute version of the word cat

Thanks a bunch in advance for all the wonderful ideas I know you're all going to come up with! And don't worry about starting out with the common simple ones - we need them too!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was playing about with Russian names for my boys (it seemed only fitting for Russian Blues, after all ;) ).

Koshechka - female - Russian feminine diminutive form of cat.
Koshka - either - Russian for cat

And, jumping over to ancient Egypt:-

Bastet - female - Egyptian (cat headed) goddess of cats (and protection, joy, family and music)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has the most lovable, chubbiest, orangest male tabby ever. Each time I see him I just want to pinch his chubby little cat cheeks! He was a rescue, found outside my friend's condo as a kitten, nothing but skin and bones, licking the ground by the dumpster, presumably because it smelled like food to him. The vet gauged him to be about two months old. This little orange fluff-ball took to indoor living immediately and proceeded to eat my friend out of house and home. Given his vociferous appetite he was christened Lunchbox, and his name fits him perfectly. Let me say, too, that although Lunchbox is indeed a big boy, he routinely gets a clean bill of health from his vet. When he began to tip the scales at fifteen pounds my friend put him on raw and increased his activity. Lunchbox is never going to be mistaken for svelte or model thin but he did lose a pound . . . just thankfully, not in his adorable cheeks.

I've looked for photos of him but couldn't find any. However, the below catches his likeness and personality beautifully. It's as though Lunchbox himself sat for the artist.

Last edited:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Anne,

I forgot to add the derivation or meaning of Lunchbox's name which is something I think you asked for. Lunchbox actually went unnamed for a while. My friend wanted something perfect and he was of the opinion that such a name would reveal itself to him over time.

One day we were in the car going somewhere, where I can't recall, but Lunchbox was going with us and it was trip of several hours. Once in the truck Lunchbox immediately began to protest by meowing loudly. I looked at my friend, nodded my head toward the cat and said, "I sure hope you packed his lunchbox; otherwise, we're going to have to listen to that the entire way there!" As soon as the words came out of my mouth my buddy's eyes lit up and he yelled "LUNCHBOX!" That's going to be his name!" Lunchbox has been living up to that name ever since.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Lunchbox sounds adorable (and looks like it, judging by his doppelganger ;)).
Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep 'em coming! Classics like Bastet are perfect for this thread and don't worry about repeating what someone else had said. I'll be able to find my way through them all (I hope :biggrin:).

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has the most lovable, chubbiest, orangest male tabby ever. Each time I see him I just want to pinch his chubby little cat cheeks! He was a rescue, found outside my friend's condo as a kitten, nothing but skin and bones, licking the ground by the dumpster, presumably because it smelled like food to him. The vet gauged him to be about two months old. This little orange fluff-ball took to indoor living immediately and proceeded to eat my friend out of house and home. Given his vociferous appetite he was christened Lunchbox, and his name fits him perfectly. Let me say, too, that although Lunchbox is indeed a big boy, he routinely gets a clean bill of health from his vet. When he began to tip the scales at fifteen pounds my friend put him on raw and increased his activity. Lunchbox is never going to be mistaken for svelte or model thin but he did lose a pound . . . just thankfully, not in his adorable cheeks.

I've looked for photos of him but couldn't find any. However, the below catches his likeness and personality beautifully. It's as though Lunchbox himself sat for the artist.

AWWWWWWWWWWW. A friend of mine named a cat she cared for Lunch Money because she'd spend her lunch money on food for him and go without herself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With so many cats in my life, it'd be a mile-long list if I was to include them all! A few:
Samuda--male--Thai-- my Samuda angel was named after my mom's late great pedigreed Siamese, whose call name was Sammy.
Rani--female--various languages in Asia--female royalty. Her best vet, who's Indian himself, exclaimed when seeing her for the first time after I announced her name: "What else?" because Rani was so regal and gorgeous.
Tarifa--female--Arabic--treasure--because she is a black and gold sparkling sweet gem.
Shah Rukh--a male name, but a female cat!--various languages in Asia--Our Shah Rukh was a feral kitten who lived in our woodpile. We didn't know her gender until my then-husband was able to capture her for her vet visit. I named her for my favorite, extremely popular Indian actor, Shah Rukh Khan, whose birthday was yesterday, by the way.
Kikkos I and II--male--Japanese--both black longhaired males with Siamese ancestry, named for the soy sauce, because of their coloring.
Sundari--female--various languages in Asia--beautiful--because this little panther princess was SO lovely.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a touching story. Your friend sounds like a wonderful person. :kitty:
She really is. I've lost touch with her, but when I did talk with her, she had story after story of selfless caring for the cats in her neighborhood. At that time, she was around high-school age and her parents would not open their hearts or home to cats, but she loved them very much and was always doing what she could to help and care for them.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver

Brought to England by the Normans, the name Oliver has origins in the French name Olivier and dates back to the time of Charlemagne. Oliver has peaceful associations, thought to be derived from the Latin olivarius meaning “olive tree” but sometimes attributed to Olaf, or the Old Norse name Oleifr.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • IfYou - Male or Female, Siamese only - Origin: "We are Siamese, if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please!" from Lady and the Tramp.
  • Kittikins - either gender - diminutive of Kitty.
  • Pretzel - either gender, good for largely orange, tan, or brown cats - because of the positions cats are able to get into.
  • Bastet, Bast, Pasch; all variations on the name of the same goddess. - Female. - Egyptian cat goddess, protector, portrayed as a fierce lion in early times. In later times she came to be seen more as a house cat and became the special protector of women, children, and house cats. Bast - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Ray - Male - A ray of sunshine. Because of the love cats have for the sun. Especially good for a fluffy yellow cat.
  • Leo - Male - good for any particularly leonine tom cat.
  • Meowser - Either - Good for any cat who's shown itself to be a good mouser.
  • Autumn - Female, calico - Their fur pattern looks like autumn leaves.
I'm a strong believer that cats name themselves; new owners should give it some time and the perfect name for this cat will come to them.

Margret

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IfYou - Male or Female, Siamese only - Origin: "We are Siamese, if you please. We are Siamese if you don't please!" from Lady and the Tramp.
Kittikins - either gender - diminutive of Kitty.
Pretzel - either gender, good for largely orange, tan, or brown cats - because of the positions cats are able to get into.
Bastet, Bast, Pasch; all variations on the name of the same Egyptian goddess. Female. Egyptian cat goddess, protector, portrayed as a fierce lion in early times. In later times she came to be seen more as a house cat and became the special protector of women, children, and house cats. Bast - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ray - Male - A ray of sunshine. Because of the love cats have for the sun. Especially good for a fluffy yellow cat.

I'm a strong believer that cats name themselves; new owners should give it some time and the perfect name for this cat will come to them.

Margret
*Agree 100%*

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kissa or Kisu - Either - Finnish word for cat/kitty (My dad nicknames my kitties endearingly this way)

Cinnamon - Either - Good for brown or tortie cats.

Kirara - Female - For any anime fans out there! Named after a loyal and clever demon cat.

Hunter - Either - Speaks for itself! :)

Catarina - Female - For any literature lovers, particularly of Edgar Allen Poe, whose cat was named Catarina. She was a tortie who would sit on his shoulder while he wrote.

Jellylorum - Female - Character from the musical CATS.

Rum Tum Tugger - Male - From T.S Eliot as well as CATS.

Oscar, later known as Unsinkable Sam - Male - Military History lovers, a kitty that survived three shipwrecks during WWI, being rescued three times. First an Axis cat, then rescued by the Allies.

Mourka/Stalingrad Battle Cat - Male - Another for military history lovers, a cat that provided messages and propaganda. For dance lovers and fans, Mourka was also the cat of George Balanchine.

Faith - Female - A little kitty that was being taken care of by the Clergy, and celebrated when she gave birth to a kitten. Puzzling everyone, she took the kitten downstairs to the basement. A bombing raid later hit London and destroyed the church she was living in, but herself and the kitten survived. She was honored and remembered for her bravery.

Fritz - Male - A cat that fought alongside his comrades in the Eastern Front against the Russians. His job was to help feed the firer of the the MG34 Machine gun. He helped settle down the nasty reputation the Germans received for battle plans (Never came into fruition - created by one figurehead. Soldiers didn't like it at all) of creating cat bombs.

Tabby and Dixie - I assume either - For anyone who loves Abraham Lincoln. These were his two beloved kitties that he spoiled to death. He was also known to take in strays into the white house.

Kitty Galore - Female - From Cats and Dogs.

Kilkenny - Either - Earliest known version is of a Mythical Irish Monster Cat that lives in a cave.

Choupette - Female - For fashion lovers, this is Karl Lagerfield's kitty.

Hombre Gato - Either - From South American folk tales, like a feline version of werewolves.

Trim - Male - A Cat that traveled and circumnavigated Australia between 1801 and 1803, with Captain Matthew Flinders.

Hemingway - Male - After the author, known kitty lover and association with Polydactyls.

Twain - Male - Mark Twain was also a known kitty lover.

Dickens - Male - Again, another author who loved his kitties! Once more a good option for lit lovers.

McClaw - Either - A play on "claw"

Catapult - Either - A play on the word "Cat"

Ninja - Either - Because cats are clearly skilled ninjas! :)

Toothless - Based on a male, but I'd say it can be either - Good for anyone who has a black cat, and likes the movie "How to Train Your Dragon". The dragon character Toothless is based on the characteristics of a cat.

Pitouchi - Male - Raised by Lt. Lekeux of the Belgian army during WWI, he was a faithful and sticky companion to his human and even saved his life once.

Freckles - Either - For kitties who might have some spots!

Spark Plug - Either - A cat who was a mascot for a regiment in WWI. Pretty good name too for any kitty that has a lot of energy :)

Butterscotch - Either - For a colouring of a kitty.

Delilah - Female - For Fans of Freddie Mercury, Queen or music. She was his beloved kitty! He even wrote a song for her.Freddie was a known cat lover.

Phew! Pardon the long list...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kissa or Kisu - Either - Finnish word for cat/kitty (My dad nicknames my kitties endearingly this way)

Cinnamon - Either - Good for brown or tortie cats.

Kirara - Female - For any anime fans out there! Named after a loyal and clever demon cat.

Hunter - Either - Speaks for itself! :)

Catarina - Female - For any literature lovers, particularly of Edgar Allen Poe, whose cat was named Catarina. She was a tortie who would sit on his shoulder while he wrote.

Jellylorum - Female - Character from the musical CATS.

Rum Tum Tugger - Male - From T.S Eliot as well as CATS.

Oscar, later known as Unsinkable Sam - Male - Military History lovers, a kitty that survived three shipwrecks during WWI, being rescued three times. First an Axis cat, then rescued by the Allies.

Mourka/Stalingrad Battle Cat - Male - Another for military history lovers, a cat that provided messages and propaganda. For dance lovers and fans, Mourka was also the cat of George Balanchine.

Faith - Female - A little kitty that was being taken care of by the Clergy, and celebrated when she gave birth to a kitten. Puzzling everyone, she took the kitten downstairs to the basement. A bombing raid later hit London and destroyed the church she was living in, but herself and the kitten survived. She was honored and remembered for her bravery.

Fritz - Male - A cat that fought alongside his comrades in the Eastern Front against the Russians. His job was to help feed the firer of the the MG34 Machine gun. He helped settle down the nasty reputation the Germans received for battle plans (Never came into fruition - created by one figurehead. Soldiers didn't like it at all) of creating cat bombs.

Tabby and Dixie - I assume either - For anyone who loves Abraham Lincoln. These were his two beloved kitties that he spoiled to death. He was also known to take in strays into the white house.

Kitty Galore - Female - From Cats and Dogs.

Kilkenny - Either - Earliest known version is of a Mythical Irish Monster Cat that lives in a cave.

Choupette - Female - For fashion lovers, this is Karl Lagerfield's kitty.

Hombre Gato - Either - From South American folk tales, like a feline version of werewolves.

Trim - Male - A Cat that traveled and circumnavigated Australia between 1801 and 1803, with Captain Matthew Flinders.

Hemingway - Male - After the author, known kitty lover and association with Polydactyls.

Twain - Male - Mark Twain was also a known kitty lover.

Dickens - Male - Again, another author who loved his kitties! Once more a good option for lit lovers.

McClaw - Either - A play on "claw"

Catapult - Either - A play on the word "Cat"

Ninja - Either - Because cats are clearly skilled ninjas! :)

Toothless - Based on a male, but I'd say it can be either - Good for anyone who has a black cat, and likes the movie "How to Train Your Dragon". The dragon character Toothless is based on the characteristics of a cat.

Pitouchi - Male - Raised by Lt. Lekeux of the Belgian army during WWI, he was a faithful and sticky companion to his human and even saved his life once.

Freckles - Either - For kitties who might have some spots!

Spark Plug - Either - A cat who was a mascot for a regiment in WWI. Pretty good name too for any kitty that has a lot of energy :)

Butterscotch - Either - For a colouring of a kitty.

Delilah - Female - For Fans of Freddie Mercury, Queen or music. She was his beloved kitty! He even wrote a song for her.Freddie was a known cat lover.

Phew! Pardon the long list...
I love your idea of naming kitties after real-life feline heroes! Here are two others I found:

Matt- Male- The name given to the 10-month-old black-and-white kitten who climbed the Matterhorn in 1950

Félicette- Female- The first cat in space

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I love your idea of naming kitties after real-life feline heroes! Here are two others I found:

Matt- Male- The name given to the 10-month-old black-and-white kitten who climbed the Matterhorn in 1950

Félicette- Female- The first cat in space
I just found another one:

Sarah- Female- Named after the Sarah the Cheetah, who holds the world record for fastest cheetah. Best for a cat who likes to run around.