The Most Fantastic Cat Names Ever? Bring Them On!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband named the little stray around our remodeling site ( by the way we just found her a wonderful inside home with an elderly couple who lost their elderly cat!)

Meow Mix -either- because that is what she asks for!

Others----

Tabitha -female- a play on tabby

Yammy - either - because they are the color of an orange yam

I love picking names from TV series or characters too....

Alice and Ralph - girl and boy- from the Honeymooners

Tom and Jerry -male- from the cartoons

Romeo and Juliet - male and female - speaks for itself

Burt and Ernie - male- from Sesame Street

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margret Margret , 5 of my 8 cats have Discworld inspired names.
I know what you mean by worrying that naming a cat Greebo might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but not as worrisome as a cat named Nobby or Foul 'Ol Ron. Actually, I've met some veteran toms that the name Foul Old Ron is pretty appropriate!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can't believe I forgot this one since we had a cat with this name a long time ago.

Chessie - technically male tabby but could be either - a mascot and symbol used for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway,
Chessie's father was named Peake.

The other Chessie many people refer to is the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland with a mischievous grin. :D

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no copyright concerns with mentioning a fictional character's name. It's as derivative a work as can be :blush:
I was thinking more along the line of trademarks.

There's a filk song (S.F. and Fantasy folk singing) named "Banned From Argo" that's about what happens when the crew of the first Enterprise takes shore leave on a planet named "Argo." It's quite obvious who the song is about, without any direct references to either "Enterprise" or the names of crew members, but in the last verse the song said something about a band of Klingons coming into a bar where the crew is drinking and turning around and running away when they saw who was there. And it seems that Paramount was very protective of their franchise, so the author had to change the last verse to say "pirates" instead of "Klingons," under threat of a lawsuit that she couldn't afford to defend against. It did Paramount no good, of course. The story got around and the fans all sing it as "Klingons" despite the word that's printed in the song books, but it did happen.

On the other hand, the copyright date on "Banned From Argo" is 1977 and a lot has happened in the field of intellectual property rights in the last 40 years, including international treaties.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean by worrying that naming a cat Greebo might be a self-fulfilling prophecy, but not as worrisome as a cat named Nobby or Foul 'Ol Ron.
Actually, "Nobby" sounds fairly accurate. Don't all cats already believe that if it isn't nailed down it's theirs, and if it can be pried up it isn't nailed down?

I wish we knew the Librarian's name; he'd be a great character to name a cat after. Who but a cat could safely navigate L-Space (not but what I'd like to try)?

Margret

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, most of my cats are actually named common human names but I have a few that are named "cat" names.

Mittens, male or female, any cat with white feet.
Minion, male,
Cookie, he is a tabby but really any cat, male or female.
Kit, male or female,
Slippers/Sneakers, male or female, same as mittens.
Whiskers, male, any cat with long whiskers
Miss Kitty, female
Scooter, male,
Lady, female, very ladylike cat,
Pepper, female, any black cat especially.
Sugar, male or female, any cat at all that is very sweet.
Cheddar, any orange cat
Biscuit, any white cat,
Cleo, any female cat, short for Cleopatra.
Blaze, male cat with white stripe on nose.

Just a few names off the top of my head.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My previous neighbors had the sweetest long-haired female they named Girlfriend. Their male cat was named Freeloader. My long haired female came to me with the name Venus,I had to change it because I have a large family of men and they rhymed her name with something else. The name Farrah came to me because of her beautiful long coat.After all Farrah Fawcett had such beautiful hair.I do love the name Fiona and someday I may use it. I also love the name Nikita after the Elton John song. I once had a cat named Remy and I still love the name. My cat love Desmond died one year ago today and his name suited him. If I were getting another male cat I think I would name him Hugo. My friend named one of her rescue kittens Meatball and that was so cute. The people who adopted him changed it. I like the name Ferris (Bueller) for a goofy , fun-loving male cat. There are tons of good cat names.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here's another one:

Rufus- Male- From Lynx rufus (i.e. Bobcat), best for a Domestic Kitty who has a bobbed tail like its Bobcat cousins

BlameHope

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Selem - Male - It's a different way of spelling "Salem" from the TV show Sabrina The Teenage Witch.
It's an especially fun occurrence when you happen to know people with the name Sabrina or someone whose cat is named "Magic". Totally not projecting my own experiences here! ;)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For castaway strays that wash ashore on your doorstep:

Gilligan - From the TV series Gilligan's Island

Wilson - The volleyball from the movie Castaways

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
Matou (mat-too) - Male - French for "tomcat"
Chatte (sh-at) - Female - French for "she-cat"
Chaton (sh-at-on) - Either - French for "kitten" (Good for those cats that still act like kittens into their adult years, haha.)
Mason (or "Mace" for a nickname) Mace is the spelling of "cat" in Albanian. Not sure how to pronounce it.
Diesel or Engine - Male - Good for particularly energetic cats
Potato - Either - Good for particularly lazy cats (short for Couch Potato)

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Suki--female--apparently it means 'loved one'

Delilah--female--also the name of Freddie Mercury's cat. He wrote a song about her. (It's called 'Delilah'). So for you Queen fans out there...

Atlas--either--for cats with spots, like the land masses on an atlas

rascalshadownj2

RascalShadowGidget2
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who has the most lovable, chubbiest, orangest male tabby ever. Each time I see him I just want to pinch his chubby little cat cheeks! He was a rescue, found outside my friend's condo as a kitten, nothing but skin and bones, licking the ground by the dumpster, presumably because it smelled like food to him. The vet gauged him to be about two months old. This little orange fluff-ball took to indoor living immediately and proceeded to eat my friend out of house and home. Given his vociferous appetite he was christened Lunchbox, and his name fits him perfectly. Let me say, too, that although Lunchbox is indeed a big boy, he routinely gets a clean bill of health from his vet. When he began to tip the scales at fifteen pounds my friend put him on raw and increased his activity. Lunchbox is never going to be mistaken for svelte or model thin but he did lose a pound . . . just thankfully, not in his adorable cheeks.

I've looked for photos of him but couldn't find any. However, the below catches his likeness and personality beautifully. It's as though Lunchbox himself sat for the artist.

Love that classic painting done with a big cat in the middle! LOL Nice picture!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • My husband suggests Cheery Littlebottom - Female - Good for a small but very brave cat. Cheery is a member of the Ankh Morpork City Watch and is the first dwarf to come out of the closet as a female.
  • Ptraci (the "P" is silent) - Female - Daughter and favorite handmaiden of King Teppicymon of Djelebeybi, and later Queen Regnant of Djelebeybi (also on the Disc). A central character in Pyramids. Until she became queen people tended to assume that she was essentially incompetent, because she was female, pretty, young, and "just" a handmaiden. In reality she is very intelligent and was working hard behind the scenes to keep the king alive and the kingdom running properly, so she's the ideal heir.
  • Another suggestion from my husband: Sam Vimes - Male - The Disc's primary hunter of criminals, and an archetypal good cop. His full name and title is: "His Grace, The Duke of Ankh, Commander Sir Samuel Vimes," much to his dismay since he has total contempt for noble titles and the people who bear them. One of his ancestors, Suffer-Not-Injustice Vimes (also known as "Old Stoneface," and Ankh Morpork's equivalent of Oliver Cromwell) killed the last king of Ankh and Vimes is quite proud of this heritage. A cat bearing this name would be a mighty hunter, contemptuous of the authority of humans, but very loyal and loving towards his family.
  • I think I would avoid naming a cat after any of the wizards in the books, but The Lost Continent might have some good names in it.
As I recall, in the Little Fuzzy trilogy by H. Beam Piper people who adopt fuzzies tend to name them after famous people (fictional or real) in their own line of work or important to their line of work. The most obvious are law enforcers and criminals, because of the professions of some of the major characters, but there are also psychologists/psychiatrists. Additionally one character named his fuzzy Diamond, after Sir Isaac Newton's dog (Diamond (dog) - Wikipedia) because, by being declared sapient, the fuzzies had essentially ruined his business ("O Diamond, Diamond, thou little knowest the mischief thou hast done.").

Margret

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have common or human names: Lilly, Muffin, Sammy, Toby, Monster, Madeline (Maddie) & Groot, past cats: Bear, Mr Kitty & Matteo. The local shelter had a kitten named Jennipurr once, I thought that was really cute.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna- female- name means moon

Artemis- male/female- Greek goddess, huntress and goddess of the moon, identifies with the Roman goddess Diana

Diana- female- Roman goddess of the moon, identifies with the Greek goddess Artemis

Together they make they Sailor moon Cat trio!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to write a cute guide suggesting really awesome cat names to people.

Want to help me brainstorm here?
Post in this thread with the best cat names you can think of!

Obviously pretty much anything can be a cat name so let's focus on names that are somehow meaningful for felines. I hope that makes sense? For each name, I'd like to explain the meaning to users and which cat it's best for, so for example "Patches" describes the coat pattern is a name for a calico or a bicolor cat with patches.

I may work it into a database, so this is what I need for each name -

The name - Male/Female/Either - Meaning

So for example, lines in the reply would look like -

1. Kitty - Either - A classic cute version of the word cat

Thanks a bunch in advance for all the wonderful ideas I know you're all going to come up with! And don't worry about starting out with the common simple ones - we need them too!
So Bart?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a pretty-sounding color description name:

Mi-ke - female- Japanese for "tri-color"; i.e., a calico cat