the more i research the more i...

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to lean towards the non exp food. ive read cats living 15 yrs on the cheaper brands.so why kill myself worrying if the food has all the right ingredients etc. just read the aafco label.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to lean towards the non exp food. ive read cats living 15 yrs on the cheaper brands.so why kill myself worrying if the food has all the right ingredients etc. just read the aafco label.
I sorta agree to a point, Although I wouldn’t go with the cheapest cat food but I get discouraged myself I’ve spent hours looking up trying to find decent cat food with no success. When I come across a decent looking canna food that looks like real food my cat won’t eat it. I have spent so much money and wasted so much cat food because they won’t eat it. I think the important thing is that they actually eat.
my cats basically will just eat Friskies or once in a while fancy eats and that’s it.
I get pretty disgusted with Friskies when I open a can it’s more gravy or juice in it than there is actual meat and the price of the canned food has doubled.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried both. But for myself, I tend to find my first cats that were fed just blah food, would have more medical problems as they aged. And that was from Friskies to Purina crap, to American Journey. Of my 10, 7 are all on Young Again Mature Zero. 2 are on diets for severe food allergies. And they do have more problems, even though it's pretty good stuff.
It all depends on how you feel really. I've just had enough bad experiences on cheap to medium priced foods. I don't think there's enough research to say one way or another though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried both. But for myself, I tend to find my first cats that were fed just blah food, would have more medical problems as they aged. And that was from Friskies to Purina crap, to American Journey. Of my 10, 7 are all on Young Again Mature Zero. 2 are on diets for severe food allergies. And they do have more problems, even though it's pretty good stuff.
It all depends on how you feel really. I've just had enough bad experiences on cheap to medium priced foods. I don't think there's enough research to say one way or another though.
thanks so much

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say that all cats are different and one cat might thrive on food that might give another one problems in the long run.
I have a picky eater who has unfortunately have settled on Weruva and Soulistic, which is not cheap. I used to feed Fancy Feast but after a long post-pandemic shortage, they seem to have changed their formula (probably for the worse . . . ie. CHEAPER ingredients) and she will no longer touch it, which is OK with me because I hate Nestle.

I agree that the best food is one they will eat.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel the same. My cats had loads of issues on the expensive foods, and every damned time I go back to an expensive food, I get an expensive issue.

Screw it, they're on Purina now and Wureva mixed.

Everyone gets senior dry food. 16? 2? Doesn't matter. Senior dry food. Glucosamine built in, lower phorporus and salt and calories.

I used to stress so much and there was so much wasted money, I threw out food after food (opened). Donated loads of closed cans.

The biggest thing I realized was sources. Theres not a ton of actual cat food studies, so everything is just "what people think" whether it's a vet, animal expert or nutritionist. Even nutritionists are bought and paid by food companies (one pushed nutro so hard, even after my cats got very sick). There's studies for foods for cats WITH health issues, but few for healthy cats. 🤔

I used to intake all that 'high quality' information, and care so much...I wish I could go back in time and save myself and my cats so much grief. I could have also afforded so much more prevention cat care if I wasn't spending so much on the boutique brands.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I so agree. Learn as you grow. I have done things in the past that wish I hadn't. Research on cat food is changing every year. Nothing has actually been proved. Nutro perfect portions cuts in gravy is the perfect food for my 7pd senior cat that eats too fast. My other cat vomits it