The Missing

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started helping taking on the care of stray cats at my apartment complex about a year ago. Many have gone missing and it hurts my heart. I was wishing there was a thread where I could share my pain. This is Smokey, the most recent one missing. I can't really morn for him, because I don't know what happened. In most cases I assume they were run over or killed by mean people here. But it is possible somebody took Smokey in, because he was a nice tame kitty. But the odds are against that. So I am sad.

Smokey.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Taking care of strays and ferals are no easy task and the tendency of getting attached to them is extremely high.

As long as they are outdoors, they are prone to many dangers. Be it an accident, fights, succumbed to injuries and sickness, eaten by wild animals, adopted by someone, caught and sent to shelters and worse case scenario is being killed for no reason by those who hate cats.

Best is get them adopted, kept indoors and keep them for yourself which is not really and totally possible for some or have an enclosure for those that you cared for.

Other than that, many things are way out of our control. I feel for you too and hope that Smokey will turn up again :alright: :grouphug2::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Tabby Tom,

I can't take them in, I already have four cats in my tiny apartment, and while I have been working with an organization and have been able to get many of the tame ones adopted, Smokey was passed over because he didn't like to be petted that much. it was out of my control. I did the best I could.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do is more than many people, so I give you credit for all your efforts. Blessings on you!
Thanks Ondine. Blessings on you too for helping the kitties.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokey is a handsome little guy. I bet someone took him in, and he has a loving home now. It always helps to think that anyway, yes? Just always hope the best happened to them. :hugs:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your right orange&white, I tend to be a glass half empty person and I need to be a little more Pollyannaish.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Those strays got more from you than the people who most likely brought them home as kittens and promised to love them forever. It's easy to get a pet, probably shouldn't be for a lot of people. Full bellies and some love go a long ways.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those strays got more from you than the people who most likely brought them home as kittens and promised to love them forever. It's easy to get a pet, probably shouldn't be for a lot of people. Full bellies and some love go a long ways.
Thanks Kittens mom. It does seem like cats are just an amusement for some people. Nobody gets their cats fixed here and when they move, they leave them behind.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kittens mom. It does seem like cats are just an amusement for some people. Nobody gets their cats fixed here and when they move, they leave them behind.
There is a misconception that you can simply dump your house pet outdoors and they will hunt and get enough to eat. Even the most skilled feral cats often fair poorly.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gone missing...
I just had one of the neighborhood feral kittens crawl up into my car engine yesterday afternoon. Last week the mother was around, but she's gone missing. The poor kitten looked healthy last week, but is skin and bones now.

The momma cat was beautiful. She looked like a long-haired "pastel" tortie. Her colors were muted dilute lilac, grey and pale amber.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a misconception that you can simply dump your house pet outdoors and they will hunt and get enough to eat. Even the most skilled feral cats often fair poorly.

I know, it make's me angry.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds very pretty. Here's one we are trying to find a home for:
View attachment 180837

She is a FIV kitty, so it will be hard to find a home for her.
You know good pictures make a difference.
I don't understand how someone can take an animal into their care and then abandon it I'm not talking about taking them to shelters or rescues because sometimes there really isn't a choice but just dumping them to fend for themselves and walking away. And probably getting a new puppy or kitten on the way home.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Gone missing...
I just had one of the neighborhood feral kittens crawl up into my car engine yesterday afternoon. Last week the mother was around, but she's gone missing. The poor kitten looked healthy last week, but is skin and bones now.

The momma cat was beautiful. She looked like a long-haired "pastel" tortie. Her colors were muted dilute lilac, grey and pale amber.
I bet mama was a real cute little kitten until she went into heat the first time

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just a kitten having kittens. I think the one I trapped and took to the shelter is her kitten sibling, both born late last Spring or early-mid Summer (if my memory serves). If they weren't the same litter, they are about the same age. The one I took for TNR had 4 kittens four days after I dropped her off. :(

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, just a kitten having kittens. I think the one I trapped and took to the shelter is her kitten sibling, both born late last Spring or early-mid Summer (if my memory serves). If they weren't the same litter, they are about the same age. The one I took for TNR had 4 kittens four days after I dropped her off. :(
Our county only charges 15 dollars for an intact animal and has no mandatory S/N laws. We need mandatory chipping, high litter fees and fines that make people decide that 5 bucks for a county pet license is a deal compared to the failure to get one.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a "no kill" city. They give away cats and dogs for free a lot so that they can keep up appearances, but at least all shelter pets are spade/neutered. On the other hand, only two of my last six cats came from shelters, and I'm not a fan of instituting more unenforceable fines, fees, ordinances, bans, laws, etc.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a "no kill" city. They give away cats and dogs for free a lot so that they can keep up appearances, but at least all shelter pets are spade/neutered. On the other hand, only two of my last six cats came from shelters, and I'm not a fan of instituting more unenforceable fines, fees, ordinances, bans, laws, etc.
It does nothing to stop people being negligent pet owners or dumping them. I want fees/fines that are directed at those causing the problem not complying with the law.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG