The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird - How wonderful that all the kitties are back where they belong!

That's a lovely photo; it looks a little like the sky does here sometimes:

View attachment 247730

Actually, it looks a little like the sky does here all the time. The one odd-shaped cloud over the barn hasn't moved for about fifteen years.

We've more rain falling this morning, and three more days forecast as well - exactly what the parched landscape needs to recover from our hottest, driest Summer on record. :)
That is a beautiful barn 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine and that is one cloud I would love to see when I look to the sky, every day of my Life!:)

I moved one of my two birdfeeders and did not know how the birds would respond. Well, I am very glad now, it seems the birds are super-happy, maybe as the one I moved is closer to the trees alongside my property. Both feeders now are extremely busy, with my feathered friends waiting patiently for their turn at a perch on the feeders. I even have hummingbirds coming, I forgot to say I also have a hummingbird feeder in addition to the two seed feeders! To me, watching the birds makes everything alright.:daisy:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I guess what I want to make is in the shape of a Calzone, but with the tomato sauce cooked inside it, and pizza cheese instead of ricotta. So I guess it's a combination Calzone/Stromboli. And that's my positive for this post, because really when you're talking about any kind of pizza, it can't be anything but positive. ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I guess what I want to make is in the shape of a Calzone, but with the tomato sauce cooked inside it, and pizza cheese instead of ricotta. So I guess it's a combination Calzone/Stromboli. And that's my positive for this post, because really when you're talking about any kind of pizza, it can't be anything but positive. ;)
Call it a Calboli and enjoy! I don't think you can go wrong with what you put inside! Unless you over stuff it. (Not speaking from experience here...not at all...;) :doh: :paperbag: :lol:) I've done homemade calzones with and without homemade dough and they are so good!! I like to dip them in sauce. :drool: There is a genuine Italian family restaurant here and their sauce is AH-MAZ-ZING!! I make good sauce; but theirs is different. Maybe DH will go for that this weekend since it's our last weekend of summer break. ;)

Although come to think of it I'm pretty sure I have dough in the freezer. :think: :anticipation: I may just make pizza rolls though. This time! :wink:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I agree M maggiedemi - so many people nowadays are too concerned with how their food will look on Instagram, and not enough with how it will taste! Sometimes the best meals are messy.

My PAWsitive today is that we are officially going to be moving! Specifically, out of CA, and into the Midwest for a new job that my husband is taking. I'm really excited about taking on a new chapter in our lives, and looking forward to seeing all four seasons every year (which seems to be a point of pride among the midwesterners I've encountered.) I am sure I'll have lots of cat-related move questions, so it's also pretty PAWsitive that I'm a member of the best cat site on the net!

Can't tell a book from its cover or how something tastes from its looks. The "ugly" fruit at the store or farmers market could very well taste the best.

Last edited:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't tell a book from its cover or how something tastes from its looks. The "ugly" fruit at the store or farmers market could very ell taste the best.
I couldn't agree more, segelkatt segelkatt ! In fact, I purchased some 'seconds' peaches at my farmstand at a price I could afford and they were the most delicious fruits I have had yet this season. I do enjoy seeing all the 'not so perfect' shapes of the fruits and vegetables, Nature's art and they do make me smile.:)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
segelkatt segelkatt - You're absolutely right! I have a couple of late nineteenth century apple trees still producing fruit, and these apples will never win any beauty contests, but t190hey taste the way apples should.
https://gizmodo.com/19th-century-america-grew-14-000-varieties-of-apple-to-1610219846
The old varieties of fruit trees are intriguing in so many ways, also how we got from 14000 varieties of apples in the nineteenth century to 90 varieties today is interesting and also the genetic studies that are being done on fruit trees to learn and preserve any historical information for these apple trees. :tree: Thank you for this article 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine !

I have always been drawn in by the illustrations done of agriculture in the late 1800s and early 1900s, especially the drawings of Deborah Griscom Passmore. I think their accuracy is very important in telling us about the past. I just think they are beautiful anyway. I purchased some of these pages on ebay, not in great shape but I love them nonetheless.:) 20180814_184649-1.jpg 20180814_184805.jpg 20180814_184818.jpg

Edit to note - I see it is difficult to see the print on the illustrations, but it reads "Yearbook U. S. Dept of Agriculture 1902.

Also is the signature D.G.Passmore
Also, description - 'Randolph Apple'

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The old varieties of fruit trees are intriguing in so many ways, also how we got from 14000 varieties of apples in the nineteenth century to 90 varieties today is interesting and also the genetic studies that are being done on fruit trees to learn and preserve any historical information for these apple trees. :tree: Thank you for this article 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine !

I have always been drawn in by the illustrations done of agriculture in the late 1800s and early 1900s, especially the drawings of Deborah Griscom Passmore. I think their accuracy is very important in telling us about the past. I just think they are beautiful anyway. I purchased some of these pages on ebay, not in great shape but I love them nonetheless.:)View attachment 247760 View attachment 247761 View attachment 247762

Edit to note - I see it is difficult to see the print on the illustrations, but it reads "Yearbook U. S. Dept of Agriculture 1902.

Also is the signature D.G.Passmore
Also, description - 'Randolph Apple'
R raysmyheart - The condition isn't bad at all, and they're easily read simply by clicking them to see them full sized. I think my favourites are the illustrations from the two-volume 1903 The Apples Of New York:

"apples of new york" - Google Search

Sadly, many of the nicer plate books have been broken up and sold individually.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went paddleboarding with a friend this morning on the Lake. Then I was super late to my yearly dentist appointment, but the person after me had cancelled, so I was still able to get it over with and no cavities! And then my car broke down, but I was safely able to get it to the shop and my bf saved me and picked me up from there to take me home.

I guess it was kind of up and down, but the pawsitive is that everything ended up working out.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi your calzolli / stombone sounds delicious no matter what you call it! I remember in the tv show Parks and Rec there was a whole bit where everyone in the town had a vehement hatred of calzones vs pizza. I didn't really get it. I'll eat any pizza or "pizza derivative" (as the Bon Apetit article calls them!)

Today we celebrated my dog, Mondo's 11th birthday. I feel so lucky to have such a loyal friend, and look forward to 11 more awesome years! Here he is, tuckered out after a dog park visit:
IMG_0063.JPG

Of course, he's not too tired to play with the cats once they got going, and slobber all over a feather cat toy. Mog doesn't seem to mind sharing the hunt with his friend, though. It is his bday, after all!

IMG_9861.JPG

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mondo is handsome tinydestroyer tinydestroyer ! Happy 11th birthday to Mondo! :bday: He reminds me of a childhood friend's dog. He was jumpy but a sweetie with an odd eye. I've been missing having a dog around now that my mother doesn't have one either. I need to find a new way to get a puppy fix I guess. ;)

I am feeling relieved tonight because I have shipping notice with tracking numbers for all of my remaining school manuals and things. It's always a process to figure everything out; but I really cut it close this year. My classroom organization is coming along. I just need to knock out a wall and make the room a bit bigger. :p

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer Happy belated 11th to your little buddy Mondo. They got more pet beds at Karen's work. She has a habit of teasing me with photos of them in text messages.

IMG_1807.JPG

I have spent my spare time the last few days polishing brass cat figurines I picked up on the weekend. The brass was very pitted but all shiny now. The following is the cat blanket a woman at one of the flea markets gave me. I get along well with her so she insisted on giving it to me.

IMG_1806.JPG

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Today we celebrated my dog, Mondo's 11th birthday.
Happy Birthday Mondo! I love huskies. Shhhh, don't let the kitties know I'm a secret dog lover.

Shane Kent Shane Kent that's a really nice blanket. I bet your cats will get a lot more use out of that than they would have done out of a $130 cat bed.

My positive for the day is that my dad is getting better. He's been in hospital for the past week with cellulitis in his leg. (He's had a lot of problems with that leg. After his last surgery a few years ago he told his surgeon, "Any more trouble and I'm cutting the damn thing off myself!")

Antibiotics and painkillers are working though. He's going to be moved to a care center and start getting physiotherapy at the end of the week.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad your father is feeling better Norachan Norachan !

Shane Kent Shane Kent That cat bed is pretty neat. The colors don't match my house but it looks like an ottoman? I like the idea of dual purpose furniture and having it blend right in. I wonder if DH and I can come up with something similar. :think: Not that fancy probably; but DH is always wanting an ottoman so why not one with a place for the girls to hide? But then will the girls WANT to hide where the kids are often at? :lol:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent - I know a certain Snowshoe who'd have all those decorative upholstery nails pulled out and scattered across the floor in a matter of minutes!

Happy Birthday Mondo! I love huskies. Shhhh, don't let the kitties know I'm a secret dog lover.

My positive for the day is that my dad is getting better. He's been in hospital for the past week with cellulitis in his leg. (He's had a lot of problems with that leg. After his last surgery a few years ago he told his surgeon, "Any more trouble and I'm cutting the damn thing off myself!"
Norachan Norachan - Huskies, Malamutes and Rottweilers - I'd take any or all - they're magnificent animals, and all smarter than most American politicians.

Here's a wish for your Dad's complete recovery!

R raysmyheart - There's an abundance of hummingbirds here as well this year - more than I've ever seen before, and the same can be said for the Monarchs, who flock to the Milkweed plantings in the mornings and the evenings.

According to the Meteorologists' dartboard, August has mustered the Summer's final warm spell. After the rain returns tomorrow (yay!), there's only a single day in the eighties predicted, and overnight temperatures are dropping through the sixties and into the fifties. Even the reseeded sections of the lawn have broken dormancy, and new noses have begun poking through.

We're now nine days into Summer's downhill side; come on, Autumn.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent --I love the kitty blanket! I like the cat bed too. You could use it as a footrest, much safer than a recliner.
tinydestroyer tinydestroyer --Beautiful dog. I was terrified of dogs until I was a teenager and I took my grandmother's Pomeranian for a walk. When he didn't eat me, I was hooked. :)
My positive for the day is that I didn't burn the house down. I was trying to caramelize my BBQ beef sandwich in the toaster oven. I put it on Broiler at 500 degrees, but I coated the pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I forgot that you're not supposed to use EVOO at really high heat because of the smoke point. That must be why the kitchen filled with smoke. :eek2: But the positive is that my sandwich was OK and me, Demi, and Maggie are safe, I didn't burn the house down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.