The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I have seen some rather large horse flies on occasion but it is the deer flies at the cottage this year that are bad. I think the heat this year has them extremely agitated. Normally I have to run the gas powered weed eater or lawn mower to agitate them to come after me but this year simply walking through the grass does it.

At least it is pawsitive that we didn't get the clouds of black flies this spring that we got last spring.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least it is pawsitive that we didn't get the clouds of black flies this spring that we got last spring.
Shane Kent Shane Kent - Nor the mosquitoes here. Black flies aren't much of a problem here, and to be honest, they seem to think I'm not fit to bite. Mosquitoes (and their little Brothers and Sisters, No-See-Ums) on the other hand would follow me to Antarctica I think, but this year they're just not in evidence. No Summer rain equals no standing water - and that means a Blessédly reduced population.

Old man tip: I've found that if I carry a cigar with me in the latter part of the day, the Deer Flies are more reluctant to attack.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Late last night, I couldn't sleep so decided to put on my volunteer hat and classify a few images from trail cameras put out by Panthera, an organization devoted to conservation of wild cats. The cameras, located in South African animal preserves, pick up many different species but rarely any actual cats. I hit pay dirt last night, though!

This beautiful lady is wearing a collar...
S26__Station9__Camera2__CAM51871__2017-05-13__19-14-50.JPG

... and I think is the same lioness shown below left. The lioness in the foreground looks like she has given birth recently but I didn't see any cubs.
S26__Station9__Camera2__CAM51871__2017-05-13__21-36-47.JPG

Look at the size of those paws!

A few impalas, jackals and wildebeests later and...Wow! A leopard!

S5__Station33__Camera1__CAM43248__2017-09-25__19-05-04.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine well just think. Now you can get Cuban ones, if that's your liking LOL

EDIT - oh, oops. sonufagun, I mistakenly thought you meant YOU were old, not that the tip is old (heeheehee)

Positive for now, --a certain feline just chowed down on treats and freeze dried minnows, the larger ones of which his human got to break into pieces...eewww. Now he's asleep, so there ya go ;)

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Got paid today and near the bank is the place I got the Mexican cat figurine, as well as some others. Today there was this cat figurine. I have been wanting one that isn't chipped. This sort of pottery (figurines) are very common in Canada but this is the first one I found that wasn't chipped/cracked :)

Blue Mountain Pottery Cat.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW that one's GORGEOUS!!
My positive is that other than cigars, Shane Kent Shane Kent , I meant to tell you that back when, I bragged on you regarding your self-taught deck building project to a carpenter I know. The reply was; VERY nice!! If you ever find your steps bow or get at all wonky over time, add some cleats underneath.
And, that a callous or two on computer hands is an extremely good thing!! :beerchug:

Last edited:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TCS rocks, cats rock 2rescuekitties 2rescuekitties , you rock :)
My positive is that I am fairly sure I have three hummingbirds at my feeders. I don't know, but this, to me is somewhat similar to seeing a cougar in the middle of South Dakota. Not completely impossible, but simply incredible!!

You also ROCK! And oh my gosh I have been thinking about getting a few hummingbird feeders to hang up on my balcony...Just not sure if they would find it since I am in an apartment and there are no plants around. But it might work!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you :) !
If you can, tie some red ribbon or yarn from the railing - you don't need the sugar water to be red. The red on the feeders themselves and the ribbons will do the trick.
Any migratory ones, or those sticking in the area and hunting for food will very likely find you. And don't give up - it might take a little while ;)

Bless your heart for thinking of them - that is a very big positive, I think!!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) !
If you can, tie some red ribbon or yarn from the railing - you don't need the sugar water to be red. The red on the feeders themselves and the ribbons will do the trick.
Any migratory ones, or those sticking in the area and hunting for food will very likely find you. And don't give up - it might take a little while ;)

Bless your heart for thinking of them - that is a very big positive, I think!!
Now i do have a question. What about if there are cats outside? Can i just hang the feeders up super high? Or might that cause some problems. I just figured I might as well feed them and then my indoor kitties can have pretty little hummingbirds to look at as well :) but there are 2 outdoor cats I feed who like to hang out on my patio lol

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, up high should work fine. This is so positive for your indoor kitties - I hope the little flashy fliers don't take long to make your furballs happy ;)
Oh my kitties get excited about mostly anything. Only time Toby growls from his mighty cat mansion overlooking the balcony window is when other humans walk by haha other than that they are fascinated by the squirrels and birds... And i just looked up that they drink sugar water? 1/4 ratio or sugar to water correct?
I think I will get two feeders this weekend :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's correct, so 1 cup of water, 1/4 cup sugar. I can't suggest anything about types of feeder shapes, maybe try two different ones. They remind me of finicky cats, some like one style others hate that but love another.
I think this is terrific, good for you!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shane Kent Shane Kent - I hope you're outside right now (where else would you be, for Heaven's sake?) enjoying what must certainly be the loveliest night of the Summer. We're both in the mid-sixties, with less humidity than we've had in ages, and perfectly clear skies as I type this. Venus is hanging there, living up to its old name, "the evening star," while the sky darkens, and the real stars seem to pop into view beginning in the east. A good night to simply sit on the patio, and to look backward and forward at once.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got paid today and near the bank is the place I got the Mexican cat figurine, as well as some others. Today there was this cat figurine. I have been wanting one that isn't chipped. This sort of pottery (figurines) are very common in Canada but this is the first one I found that wasn't chipped/cracked :)

View attachment 242971
Shane Kent Shane Kent , I love the shape and style of this new kitty figurine! The colors and finish are very unique to me, I have never seen these colors used but I do sure love them! She is a very pretty cat and reminds me a lot of my prized porcelain kitty (in the shape and style) -

20171023_132518.jpg ~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~:purplebutterfly:~

Tonight is a good night to sit on the porch and listen to the crickets. Air is cool and refreshing.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a delightful day here on Lake Ontario's south shore; temperatures in the low seventies, and sunlight flooding over all. Both Rose of Sharon bushes were in full bloom today - the white:

sharon1.jpg

sharon2.jpg

and the pink - with a little side blooming going on as well:

sharon3.jpg

Looks like the Monarchs are enjoying the beautiful weather as well.

;)

Here's wishing everyone a glorious day!

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today has been a traumatic day for my two little girls. First, Nala had a showdown with what I’m guessing was a bee, and she didn’t win. She got a sting next to her nose. So I’ve been watching her closely, to make sure she is fine. I might have been watching her too closely, because Sorry managed to get into a window (probably going after a fly) and knocked down a flower. The pot died on impact, and Sorry almost had a stroke. She came running, jumped up next to us and went full Halloween cat. Her little tail blowing up like a blimp. My mum tried to calm her, but she would only allow me to get close. Now she is giving the rest of the flowers the stinkeye, probably wondering if any of them plan to attack her too.

The positive, they are both fine and seeing Sorry so stressed out after knocking down the flower was part sad and part kind of funny. :lol: I’m hoping they have had a lesson in leaving bees and flowers alone, but I’m not holding my breath. At the moment they are running around playing again, after having some comfort and TLC. I’m also seeing a positive in the fact that this was Sorry’s first Halloween cat. She’s never done that meeting the adult cats, so I guess they are less scary than falling pots. :lol:

My positive is that I had time tonight to come back here to catch up! Many great posts.

Love the color choice! Blues and greens are great! Nature colors! Having painted for a living, I understand your frustration at trying to cover the white. A primer paint might help with future color changes. I send you strength for any future painting!.
Thank you so much for the advice! And the strength! :heartshape:I was thinking that light to dark would go smoothly, since that’s how it works with other things. I was wrong! :lol: I’ve been going over it again tonight, and I think it’s finally all dark. I’ll remember primer for the next room! But yes, I’m loving the colors. It really does give a feeling of nature.

My positive is this site and it’s users. So many friendly and helpful people. Thank you all! :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, Sorry-kitty, I'm sorry :blush: :cloud9:

Alice catlady Alice catlady , I meant to tell you that your command of the English language is superb!

Speaking of Monarch butterflies, I happened to be standing next to a nearly empty display for seed packets in a store while on the way to get something else, and decided this was definitely fortuitous. I picked up a couple packets to save for next spring, of multi-mix Zinnias. :yess: Although milkweed gets all "the Press" for Monarchs, they also need flowers later in the season, zinnias being one of these.

I have a couple of photos to share from the Colorado History Museum. --Missed seeing the 1952 Mickey Mantel baseball card by two days - they were completely paranoid about security for it (for those of you who don't know, it's worth MILLIONS of dollars!!) and the media didn't clarify that it wouldn't be on exhibit very long...but, in any case here are a few of the other good things.
Those cutie little pink and white flowers are part of a very large display made from Legos as is the train station/turntable, the Fire Department helmet is somewhat self explanatory and the quilt is a silk Crazy Quilt that took three years to stitch. Awesome exhibits, and great fun!!

Attachments

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Friend just called from Dallas, where it was 108º F with an even higher heat index. Looking at the map, it appears that someone poured gasoline on the southern quarter of the U.S. from Louisiana to California, and then struck a match.

For anyone actually living in the Char-Broil Zone, GET OUT NOW! If you can't, remember to stay hydrated, wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing, and as Kurt Vonnegut was once wont to say, "always - always use sunscreen." Or come to Olcott Beach, where it's currently 69º.

Status
Not open for further replies.