The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Norachan Those videos are amazing!! I prefer to get to bed by 2; so a 3 am wake up isn't happening here either! :crazy:

R raysmyheart I feel a little behind. But searching for things is fun in it's own way.

I put a roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. Trying to come up with gluten free side dishes everyone likes has been a challenge so I'm not sure what we will end up with yet. If I go by everyone's tatebuds that eliminates most potatoes, rice and pasta. But hey the meat will taste great! And I like just about everything; so MY tastebuds will be happy. :p

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted in this thread for a while. We're having a very wet July in Japan. I guess some of you will have seen the news about all the floods and mudslides. Luckily it hasn't been quite that bad here, but I'd be very happy to see the sun again.

Here's something positive though. Two film clips Mr Husband made on a recent climbing trip.

The first one was filmed at the base camp of the Hodaka mountain range.

This second clip was filmed at sunrise at the peak. They had to start climbing at 3 am to reach the summit by sunrise.

I didn't go with them. I don't get out of bed at 3 am unless the house is on fire.

:D

Norachan Norachan - Was that Oku-hotaka-dake that The Glorious Long-Suffering Husband climbed? The view in the first video - looking down at the cloud layer - is absolutely inspiring!

Here in New York (the meaning of "New York" in the Mohawk language is, "Land Which The Creator Squashed Flat And Then Taxed To Death) there are only a couple of spots where one can 'climb' above the Tree Line - the foremost of which is Mount Marcy, whose summit can be reached by any six-year-old in flip-flops, by dint of an incredibly wide, well-worn trail which is widened even further each year by 'hikers' crashing through the fragile semi-alpine flora at the trail's borders, seeking better reception on their SmartPhones to keep in constant touch with their BFFs. To further enhance its scenic beauty, the N.Y. State Office of Parks and Recreation has blazoned the trees and rocks from trailhead to summit with lovely bright yellow highway paint, lending it the appearance of one of The Family Circus' 'Billy Trails':

x
Above: a seasoned climber rests, a dozen meters from the summit of
Mount Marcy, nearly exhausted from the arduous technical ascent.

Here below the Tree Line (Olcott Beach proper is a scant 83 meters above sea level, though here at the northernmost end of the Niagara Escarpment, it's roughly 100 meters higher) the day is fine and fair, with the temperature in the 70s, and the promise of rain on Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. The Mute Swan cygnets on the river seem to be growing at an alarming rate, and can be seen trailing after Mom and Dad, and swimming in their wakes.

We're about halfway between the Summer Solstice and High Summer (August 6th), and life at the water's edge is moving forward faster now - the beautiful dragonflies and damselflies darting across the surface seem particularly abundant this year - no doubt a part of the reason the mosquito population her is almost nonexistent this Summer. Let's give a cheer for dragonflies!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine--- I wish we could get some dragonflies here to get rid of the mosquitoes. I hope that it will rain for 3 days in NY this week! I need to do some laundry, but the well is pretty low.
Foxxy--- You definitely should order some puzzles with photos of Honeybee and Pumpkin Face! Or I could send you a photo of Maggie & Demi for one. :D
My positive for today is I'm very thankful that Demi is okay. Last night when I was taking a shower he climbed up inside the track of the sliding door. Thankfully he cried to me, so I only opened the door halfway, squeezed out and grabbed him. If I would have opened the door completely, I might have crushed him. He was way up at the top with his paws wrapped around the track, too scared to jump. Maybe I can cover it with something.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine--- I wish we could get some dragonflies here to get rid of the mosquitoes. I hope that it will rain for 3 days in NY this week! I need to do some laundry, but the well is pretty low.
M maggiedemi - Weather.com claims that after the heat wave peaks there on Monday, that a cool-down and some rain is coming your way on Tuesday. As strange as it might seem to most folks, the dragonfly population here was one of the things that sold me on this place. If they'd only develop a taste for deerfly, this spot would be absolute Heaven!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully they sprayed for mosquitos in our area last night. :yess: I was on the patio watering the annuals and could feel the little buggers.

i just got home from grocery shopping and my dear, sweet Carleton decided to take advantage of the large brown shopping bag. He's napping in there as I type. :sleepycat:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Geez that DOES sound good!!

Here is the lovely splurge of flowers from this morning - I don't know what these are called, if anyone does I'd love to know. The petals are somewhat crepey, and are pink, reddish or orange... it just made my day to see them pop like that ;)
Pink poppies and blue bachelor buttons

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully they sprayed for mosquitos in our area last night. :yess: I was on the patio watering the annuals and could feel the little buggers.

I remember when I was in college and some pals told me that if you put scotch tape over an itchy mosquito bite, it would decrease the itching. My parents wondered what I was learning in college when I came home for a weekend visit with patches of scotch tape on my arms and shins. At least I made them laugh!
o_O

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws
WOW You-all ROCK, 13 bears I saw 13 BEARS!!!
I heard about this webcam several years ago and would always time it wrong, not that the river itself isn't enjoyable but still... you are AWESOME!! both for the reminder of it, and the timing!!
They look so funny-gangly with their fur plastered to their bodies LOL
M maggiedemi - good save on your part! silly cat, my goodness!!
Oh, segelkatt segelkatt thank you!!! I want more of them especially the poppies, and that helps immensely.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went by the pond today and noticed some very wonderful and beautiful flowers I have never seen around here before. They were growing in abundance, immediately offshore, after the cattails and were visited by many bees. Here are the flowers, looking very unique to me and beautiful, as well!

Near the water -
20180712_183313.jpg 20180712_182927.jpg

A closer look -
20180712_182927-1.jpg 20180712_183338-1.jpg 20180712_183338-1-1.jpg

It was a very interesting find for me, for sure! Has anyone ever spotted these in your area?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been seeing my buddy the praying mantis, :wavey:
and my sweetheart hummingbirds, AND a brand new never seen before in this backyard Black Swallowtail, someone else earlier in this thread mentioned these?
these are AMAZING!!
It would NOT settle so this is what I got...you can just barely see the ID markings of the two orange circles on the inner edge of the hind wings. What a gorgeous thing, my goodness.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I finished a 1000 piece puzzle with a lot of moral support from a Lelia that was grooming and napping next to me and just being adorable. I think she's feeling more affectionate today for some reason because she's been following me around. Idk why, but I'll take it! I haven't seen her quite as much since we're now in the bigger place and my bf's cat is there to be interesting.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been seeing my buddy the praying mantis, :wavey:
and my sweetheart hummingbirds, AND a brand new never seen before in this backyard Black Swallowtail, someone else earlier in this thread mentioned these?
Furballsmom Furballsmom - @tarasgirl06 mentioned them on June second, and mentioned Mourning Cloaks, Monarchs, Fritillaries and Cabbage Butterflies. I said that I envied her Mourning Cloaks owed to their scarcity hereabouts, and then you poked fun at the phrase, "atropurpurean habiliment."

;)

Yet another warm day here, but at least a productive one nonetheless. A Friend brought his bucket truck over to do some gutter-cleaning and overhanging-limb-trimming and impromptu aerial yellowjacket running-away-from. Not having been the chap up in the bucket forty feet off the ground being cornered by the yellowjackets at the time, my day was just fine!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah-hah! Bingo :thumbsup: thank you for the find
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine

Heh, I do that now and then :biggrin:

Geez, poor guy. Did he charge you extra?

Crazy baseball game the other night. Rockies 19, Diamondbacks 2. D-backs lost their starter pitcher, had nothing in the bullpen to replace him and ended up at one point with their second baseman, an ex-Rockies and awesome utility player, as their pitcher.
All sorts of records, for home runs etc were made that night :yess:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , thank you for the great photos, the colors are so vibrant and the kitty is handsome, indeed.

Lari Lari , I know Lelia is good at 1000-piece puzzles because any cat that decorates gingerbread houses like Lelia did for the holiday photo contest this year past is for sure good at details!

Shane Kent Shane Kent , I see your new kitty has pretty blue eyes and I love her!

It was a good decision to take the scenic road home from work to see the splendor of an early Summer evening.
20180712_184145.jpg
20180712_184246.jpg

Have a wonderful day, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.