The Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the going rate for a tooth these days? I remember getting a quarter, but that was a long time ago.
I got different rates! I don't remember exact prices, but it was probably a quarter for most normal teeth. I got more for the first tooth and, as I was very slow to lose teeth, had to have some pulled by the dentist and got more for my trouble there.

Granted, this was a long time ago as well. I'll have to see what inflation is up to at such time as I have kids of my own.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for the late response! My in-laws were here for the weekend. Let me see if I can add a picture of the Tooth Fairy Pillow I got for DS. It's filled with lavender, buckwheat hulls, and lavender essential oil. It smells amazing! I'd love to keep one by my bed all the time! :cloud9:
IMG_4341.JPG

Dd's is slightly different but it hangs on a command hook over her headboard when she has a tooth inside. Sometimes she wakes up and too many times I forget. I'm not a very good Tooth Fairy. :blush: I usally put the lost tooth in a small zip lock so it's easier to find. Then I roll up the dollar or dollars and put it in through the top of the tooth part. The last time DD lost a tooth the Tooth Fairy didn't make it 2 nights in a row so she left $3... :paperbag:
What's the going rate for a tooth these days? I remember getting a quarter, but that was a long time ago.
When DD was losing her first tooth she would not wiggle it for anything! We told her the Tooth Fairy pays $10 for the first tooth to try to motivate her to get it out! Her new tooth was almost completely in before she finally got rid of it. :rolleyes: Every tooth after that they get $1. I have a few friends who give $5-10 for every tooth! But one friend makes her kids put it in the bank. I think most of my friends do $1. I'm sticking with $1 and letting them spend it if they want. They can always chose to save. ;)

We've had about 5" of rain in 4 1/2 days according to my rain gauge. The nearby creek is overflowing. Its normally about maybe 1/4 of the width it is now and not very deep at all. Kids go back there to splash around. DH took a picture but I can't find a good one to post to compare. I just wish I had rain barrels set up for it! :p

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We used to get 20 pence. I think that may have been because the 20 pence coin was introduced about the time I lost my first tooth.

When DD was losing her first tooth she would not wiggle it for anything! We told her the Tooth Fairy pays $10 for the first tooth to try to motivate her to get it out!
I couldn't believe my luck when I got actual money after my tooth came out. I hadn't realised I had a silver mine inside my mouth. I started wiggling my teeth like crazy, pulled all my milk teeth out too early and had to have braces on my teeth, top and bottom, to straighten up the adult teeth that all came in before my mouth was big enough for them.

Bet you're glad you you haven't got a wiggler in the family after all.

:biggrin:

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine What are you feeding those puppies? Uranium!? Why do their eyes glow like that?

:crackup:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , that tooth pillow is adorable! When I was young and would lose a tooth, the tooth fairy would come and what I can remember was them leaving a nickel. This was in the 1960's though! I could never understand how the money got under my pillow without the fairy waking me up! This is just so precious to hear of this again from you and it brings such fond memories. Thank you!

1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine , what a wonderful photo you have captured of the sunset, it has me thinking about the wonder in Nature all around us!

It is an absolutely clear day here and the air is so nice. One thing I noticed on my holly bush, only when I took a closer look, were many tiny bees going from flower to flower. They look like baby bumblebees or baby yellow jackets, some of them. I am going to try to search about bees today to see if this is a certain type of bee, with them being so miniature. I will no doubt learn something about bees today anyway, and that is a pawsitive! :evergreen::purplebutterfly::tree::butterfly::evergreen::bluebutterfly::tree:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got different rates! I don't remember exact prices, but it was probably a quarter for most normal teeth. I got more for the first tooth and, as I was very slow to lose teeth, had to have some pulled by the dentist and got more for my trouble there.

Granted, this was a long time ago as well. I'll have to see what inflation is up to at such time as I have kids of my own.
I had a baby tooth pulled last October. The Tooth Fairy left me some shiny pennies. :lol: :hearthrob: I really feel if you must loose a baby tooth as an adult the Tooth Fairy should step up her game. Maybe good chocolate. Maybe a bottle of wine. Maybe a Caribbean cruise. :agree:
Bet you're glad you you haven't got a wiggler in the family after all.

:biggrin:
She makes me nervous that she'll swallow them! It gets hard to brush when there are 2 teeth in one spot too. One time DS knocked out her loose tooth when they were horsing around. That was kind of nice. :lol:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine What are you feeding those puppies? Uranium!? Why do their eyes glow like that?

:crackup:
Norachan Norachan - You can't fool me - it's Plutonium. Pluto was a dog; foxes are dogs; that's that.

(That was shot with a 400mm lens and a strobe. What surprised me was that they have differently-coloured eyes, based on the eyeshine. Their eyes can be brown, orange, yellow or green.)

R raysmyheart - Bumblebees vary greatly in size within the same species, and the "early outs" will be much larger. Since they store only the honey they need, birth size decreases as Spring wears on into Summer. A careful look at their snoots proboscides might reveal some of them to be Bee Flies, however.

Another lovely day here today, with purple and white lilacs both in bloom, and the air simply saturated with their fragrance (and with bumblebees, of course). Rain's on the docket for tomorrow, and once the world dries out a bit, it's back to mowing!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine for the information on Bee Flies. I do think these are indeed bee flies now as I take a closer look at these tiny creatures working diligently at the holly and comparing the information on the link! They do have a very interesting story. They did not seem to want to hold still long enough for me to see their proboscides extremely well, they told me they were too busy! :lol: I did get a peak, however.

It is such a beautiful day here. I had a chance to wash and dry the birdfeeders, and refill them, allowing me to keep all feathered visitors very happy and coming back to see Speedy and me! :tree: :purplebutterfly:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a baby tooth pulled last October. The Tooth Fairy left me some shiny pennies. :lol: :hearthrob: I really feel if you must loose a baby tooth as an adult the Tooth Fairy should step up her game. Maybe good chocolate. Maybe a bottle of wine. Maybe a Caribbean cruise. :agree:
The summer I turned 15 I had to have oral surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed because they were ruining all the hard work my braces did and I got zip. So I guess I got cheated there.

That isn't positive enough. Um...Lelia slept on my lap/thighs last night instead of my lower legs, which was nice. I felt loved.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The summer I turned 15 I had to have oral surgery to have my wisdom teeth removed because they were ruining all the hard work my braces did and I got zip. So I guess I got cheated there.

That isn't positive enough. Um...Lelia slept on my lap/thighs last night instead of my lower legs, which was nice. I felt loved.
Awww, Lari Lari -- don't you love when they do that! My Elvis joins me for breakfast almost every morning and it's pretty hard to get up with such a sweet, warm laptop :cloud9:
That's bad. I had to have mine out, too, and the oral surgeon promised me a coffee when I woke up, but I never got it. :sigh:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's RAINING!!! :yess: That not only means happy plants, it also means I won't have to water tomorrow. When I went out earlier it was misting and I thought, oh, if only we could get some rain! So I'm happily working away with warm tortoiseshell laptop, glad of the free water. :biggrin:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Looks like your rain is over for now, but at 62º it should be mighty comfortable there right now. Did you end up with measurable rainfall this morning?

It looks like the front moving slowly across the Great Lakes (which is now soaking neely neely and abyeb abyeb et al) will get here between two o'clock and three o'clock in the morning, and stick around for 36 hours. Bad for stargazing, but fabulous for the plantings!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like the front moving slowly across the Great Lakes (which is now soaking neely neely and abyeb abyeb et al) will get here between two o'clock and three o'clock in the morning, and stick around for 36 hours. Bad for stargazing, but fabulous for the plantings!
Surprise! The front moving across the Great Lakes already arrived this morning and, yes, the plants are soaked. It's been raining non-stop all day. Fortunately I did not have to go into work today and Carleton just loves when I'm home to keep him company. :lovecat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine I didn't look, or check, but it was enough to give the plants a nice drink, which makes us all happy! And yes, it's wonderful weather for those of us who prefer cool, cloudy, and humid. I got out a pullover and one of my softest scarves and am enjoying wearing them.
So you're quite a nocturnal animal, yes? I used to be, too. Cats, as we all know, are crepuscular. So I'm more that way, now. ;):cutecat::kneading::zzzcat:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - Looks like your rain is over for now, but at 62º it should be mighty comfortable there right now. Did you end up with measurable rainfall this morning?

Yes, I did get rain. I was actually out for a walk at the time, but I had brought an umbrella, so I didn’t get too wet which is a definite pawsitive! Plus I found a dollar on the sidewalk. :yess:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Once permanent teeth come in the baby teeth should be pulled as there will be no room for the permanent teeth in the correct space and then they will come in crooked. I saw a grown man a long time ago with two rows of teeth, for some reason that reminded me of a wolf! The baby teeth were in front of the permanent teeth. He finally got those teeth pulled and then he had to wear braces to push them into the correct space. He told me he had never seen a dentist in his life and when he did the dentist said it was not normal to have two sets of teeth and that those baby teeth needed to come out. He had thought it normal to have two rows of teeth and that people who did NOT have two rows of teeth had not taken care of their baby teeth and that they had to be taken out. He had no idea that baby teeth are just supposed to fall out.

She makes me nervous that she'll swallow them! It gets hard to brush when there are 2 teeth in one spot too. One time DS knocked out her loose tooth when they were horsing around. That was kind of nice. :lol:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I had recently gone to the dentist and got a surprise. It seems that these days wisdom teeth are routinely removed and here I am at age 75 and I still have one which is in good shape so it stays in. On the other hand I had been cheated in the teeth department because I did not have permanent small molars which runs in the family and 2 of my children don't have them either. One of them held on to one baby small molar until he was 30 when it finally fell out which caused a gap as there was no permanent small molar under it. Over the years his teeth have moved just enough so that the gap is not noticeable. However, when he was about 15 a tooth bud was found in the roof of his mouth and as it was giving him trouble it had to be surgically removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.