The "meat loaf" position: Good and/or bad?

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has nothing to do with my kitty at the moment, but just something I've wondered about. When a cat lays on his belly with his paws tucked under his chest, eyes closed, and maybe his head tilted a little downward, I've always been told that is a sign the cat is content and relaxed. But after coming here, I've heard some folks say cats sit this way when they're uncomfortable, sick, in pain or dying. Other people I've heard say that position really doesn't mean anything more special than when a cat sits upright.
Is it one or the other, or maybe both? Kind of like how a human will lay down when they're comfortable and when they're not well? I guess you just have to look at the cat for symptoms like fluffed up fur and dilated pupils and such, which I think mean the cat is in pain. Another confusing thing I've heard is when cats are happy and want to show you they love you, they look at you and blink very slowly. BUT I've also heard cats do the slow blink when they're in pain. As if a cat's body language isn't confusing enough, they purr when they're sick AND when they're happy! Cats are so confusing, but I guess that's one of the reasons we love them so much.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats do it when they are content and sleepy. We call it the legless kitty, but I like meatloaf better, lol! My Bob will actually end up with her face planted flat into the bed when she nods off. And my Pooper does the slow blink to be sweet or sometimes to say 'I don't know what you are talking about - I'm just a sweet little kitty who would have never, ever pulled those clothes off the hangers (or stolen that hair tie, or smacked my brother in the face, etc...) She is also known as the Eddie Hascal kitty.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love when my Rolly did it. He was 17 pounds and because of his size, sometimes his paws completely disappeared from view under his chest and he just looked like a big hairy potato. Though when Rolly was all full of fluid and dying, he sat in the exact same position. I guess if you need to determine if Kitty is good or not good, then you have to just take a gander at what else he or she is doing.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to look at all aspects of body position. Since there are only a few ways they can lay, you need to look at ear position, how open or closed their eyes are, tail position, breathing, skin twitching or still.  And still will get it wrong a lot of the time.

I am with my ladies an average of 23 hours a day, and I still haven't completely figured them out.

I always heard that a cat on it's brisket was a contented cat. Julie is like that right now across both arms as I try to type and not disturb her.