The lure of a fresh, clean litter box

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not really a serious post, but . . . it seems to me that every time I deep-clean and re-fill a litterbox, it's like some kind of call goes out to all the cats in the house that they must all go pee in it immediately.

Is this your experience as well?

Seems kind of like the lure of clean laundry....

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely. They either hop in and pee immediately or they tried to use the box right before I go to clean it so I had to either wait or shoo them out.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep. My two boys will stand by and once in done they both get in at the same time.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine does the same..as soon as i start cleaning the box he is hanging around getting under my feet and jumps in as soon as I am finished putting in the new litter.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's kind of smart for cats to use a box right after you clean it. You can watch the cat use it and notice anything usual like straining to pee or poop, blood in the poop, etc.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a serious post, but . . . it seems to me that every time I deep-clean and re-fill a litterbox, it's like some kind of call goes out to all the cats in the house that they must all go pee in it immediately.

:flail:
Yes, to all. We have seen this over and over again. They'll wait in line to use that clean box, so we usually stand by, wait, re-scoop, and move on.
The horses will run inside to pee in a clean stall.
The dogs will all decide to poop on a freshly mowed lawn.
The chickens, like the horses, will run inside to poop all over the clean sawdust.
We got a large rug once. We put it down, went to get scissors to remove the tags, and one of the dogs was curled up into a tiny little ball right in the center of the rug :doh:
It seems like every time we wash rugs, in less than 30 minutes someone goes out of their way to deposit a wet, cold, dripping hair ball onto it.
I could go on and on and on and on.... :lol:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My last cat was fascinated with the automatic litter box. The first time I introduced it to her. She sat in front of it for ten minutes waiting for that rake to run again. ”Fresh box! I have been waiting for this.” I think she would pee a little to trigger the timer. Then wait for the box to clean before she peed the rest. Cats are weird!

But yes, even Krista, my current cat, will immediately use a fresh box like she’s been holding it for me to clean it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. My cats lining up like grade school students waiting for their classroom to open. :)

One of my cats is very particular with the litter box. She won't use it until it is cleaned so she has this one litter box exclusively for her. If the other cats attempt to use it, she'd hiss and growl. If she sees some poop have not been scooped, she'd look at me like saying, "What is this human? Can't you clean properly?' She is very smart.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, but only after I scoop in the morning. They don’t do it after the evening scoop. :dunno:

Given their morning habit, I find it somewhat odd that there will often be two offerings in one box while one or more of the other boxes are unused. And I know it’s from two different cats because I can usually tell their pees and poops apart (which goes under the category of things you don’t admit to non-cat people :lol:).

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like every time we wash rugs, in less than 30 minutes someone goes out of their way to deposit a wet, cold, dripping hair ball onto it.
I could go on and on and on and on.... :lol:
My former cat, "Spike" was a long haired Van.

We also had a gray Oriental rug... or so you would think until you vacuumed it. When you cleaned it you would be surprised to discover that it was royal blue!

So, I would spend a good five or ten minutes vacuuming this rug to make it look all nice and clean only to have Spike walk right over and lay down right in the center of it the moment I was done!

The moment you cleaned that rug, Spike just HAD TO come over and FUR on it again! ;)

I wonder if it was a territorial thing? :dunno: