The Life Feline

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to start this off by saying that cats are woven into my life and the lives of the members of this forum.

But as I thought about it, I realized that it would be more accurate to say that cats are tangled up in our lives. The word "woven" implies some sense of order and logic...two things that are not really applicable to a life with cats

Makena, insisting on being front and center on my desk while I work.

Having cats changes things. There are moments shared with our cats that only another cat lover would understand.

A few mornings ago the house was chilly. I had fallen asleep in a recliner. Makena, with his thin fur coat, got cold and joined me... stealthily climbing under the covers and pushing his back against my leg.

Chilly Makena

There is something special about waking up with a warm cat snuggled up to you on a cool morning. I slowly woke up as the sun rose, enjoying the extra warmth of Makena against my leg. Makena eventually woke and began purring. I picked up the book I had been reading when I fell asleep, and finished the chapter I was on.

June Bug must have heard me waking up. She brought her toy lizard in and played contentedly while waiting for Makena and I to get up. Her thick fur coat kept her cozy on this cold morning.

We call June Bug's toy lizard "Waldo," you never know where you might find him

Eventually we headed downstairs. We found the other Bengal, Lilia, crouched near the woodstove. I tossed a few more bits of wood into the stove, and we headed to the kitchen for breakfast. One human, three cats. My wife had left for work before the sun was up, I could see the remnants of the early morning snack she had given them... I washed their little bowls and watched them hunch down and eat their breakfasts while I cooked some scrambled eggs.

Makena sat near me as I ate my breakfast. He knows that I will save him a few bites of whatever I am having.

June Bug found a sunny spot and cleaned her paws

Lilia found my lap as I settled at my desk to get some work done

Tangled up with cats. As such is the life feline.

We each see the world through our own window. And each of our windows features a cat, or several cats.

Our cats are mixed up with us in even the most mundane parts of our day. Please share a bit of what your life is like with cats. Even just a few sentences....

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I came here to the Middle East to fulfill my work contract, and there was no plan to pick up cats off the streets, foster several, and adopt some. But I did. There is this one cat though that I have made a deep connection with. I first saw her two summers ago, in front of our door while my husband and I were about to leave for work. She was with another cat, same appearance and equally huge and hairy so so assumed they were littermates. I went back the house and gave them dry food. She did not eat and instead let her sibling devour the kibbles. I went on to work.

She kept coming back afterwards, but this time, she was alone. From the street I would call out, “Come here!”, and she would come running to the house like she lived there forever. After feeding her I’d let her out the apartment again, at first she always seemed hesitant, but then again she’d go. I would watch her strutting slowly and away from me, with surprisingly a very heavy heart. I always feared she would not come back, but almost everyday when I get home from work, she’d be there outside our door. Waiting. I had other cats that time, so I thought I could no longer afford to take in another one - a huge one.

Then she disappeared for days and I was heartbroken. Seemed forever when she came back, this time she was so dirty and obviously very hungry. It was that time that I decided to keep her. And we are together ever since.

8622AEA5-95D6-475F-B734-08E07CD3D041.jpeg

I call her my spirit animal. We share the same grumpiness, the same dislike for the crowd and noise, the same nuisances. She sleeps with me everynight. Without her in bed, sleep is impossible. One time she managed to escape the house without my husband noticing. It was then I realized the extent of my love for her. I was hysterical: crying and shouting at the same time. I was so mad at my husband that it also scared me. I went out of the house wearing only a robe and searched for her-still sobbing. When she re-appeared miraculously nearby, it felt like my soul came back to my body.
9902847B-87CB-4CAE-81E1-393484637FF9.jpeg

I don’t know how I’d get by again if I lose her. I grew up with dogs. I have always been a dog person. But with Bourbon, it is surprisingly different. And it scares the heck out of me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy is attentive to me, and I am to him. I'm his human, --if I'm gone for more than a day he is ok the first day, but the second day he looks through the entire house, meowing constantly.

I often comment; "and people say cats can't talk" because he communicates his requests very well, sometimes silently :) for example, by sitting in a certain spot just off the kitchen when he's hungry, or if he's interested in treats, he may be in the living room but will look at me over his shoulder when I'm in the kitchen, with a specific look on his face LOL

He loves to have a sniff of almost anything I have in my hands, whether its food or not, as a point of interest - what are you doing, mom?

He's simply the most charming gentleman :cloud9: :heartshape:

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've recently adopted 3 cats from our local shelter, after having lost our 3 other cats between September and November of 2018. :angel3: :sniffle:
Some may think it too soon, but even with our losses, even with the grief, our home was simply not a home without a few furballs running around.
:dizzycat::climbcat::runningcat:
So on December 30th we decided to go "window shopping:rolleyes3:" at our local shelter, to see what was available. We did not know what we wanted other than we knew we wanted a pair (so they could keep each other company) but in good old crazy cat lady fashion:wink:, I (and my husband) were finally able to narrow down our choices (well they chose us) down to three (be proud, the list was originally over 20) and we adopted them that day. **So much for window shopping so we could prepare**:lol:
So now I have three young cats (2, 1.5 and 1 year old) and it is amazing watching them interact with us and each other. They have all settled into our home with no issues.
What is truly fantastic is how they are growing and learning from each other. Our timid little kitty is slowly becoming more comfortable and playful. And the other two have an amazing time playing and chasing each other around the house. And I know they are learning from each other because one will do something and I can see the other watching and seeing the end result. The next day or after a few "lessons", the other will do the same thing. I just hope they don't teach each other any bad habits!! :nono:
Right now I'm still learning their little cues and nuances (it's only been 1.5 months) but I'm having a blast. Everyday something makes me laugh or smile and my life without a tangled mess of fur and paws just wouldn't be a life at all! :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Several nights a week we sit and have "cat play time." We get out some string toys, or toss a ball, or use a laser dot toy. It usually lasts 15-25 minutes.

June Bug, the youngest of our three plays the most. Tonight we threw some packing paper down so they could play with it. That's June Bug's little paw reaching for the toy...

Each cat plays very differently. June Bug still races about like a kitten, jumping and skidding around. Lilia carefully and tentatively swats at toys. Makena watches, or grabs a cat nip toy to play off to the side with. When he does chase a toy, we get to see short bursts of his sheer strength, speed and grace. He is incredibly fast and powerful.

After we play, its snack time. Each cat gets a few treats. They sit in a semi circle, always in the same order, and wait their turn. Makena always gets the first snack.

A few mornings ago my wife took a nap in a recliner. As the morning sun streamed in through the window...her fan club all joined in

The other day I was a bit under the weather. As I relaxed, my friend Makena curled up with me. If I am sick - Makena always sticks close by. He was hoping I would be up for a walk eventually, but for the moment was content to be my companion. Its always the same position, he settles in, carefully pressing his back to me.

It was, at best, a rather poor day for a walk. Especially for a cat who needs a jacket to go out in anything much below 50 degrees. Makena made the best of it but barely lasted 20 minutes in the cold.

I got a hot tea and settled back down to watch an old episode of Dr Who. Makena followed me and kept watch as I dozed off.

...... my life without a tangled mess of fur and paws just wouldn't be a life at all! :catlove: