The Last Movie You Saw

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this would make for an interesting thread. What was the last movie you saw? What was it about? What did you like and dislike about it?

My last film was called, ironically, "The First Film". It's a British documentary that sets out to prove that Louis Le Prince was making and projecting movies in the 1880s, long before Edison and the Lumiere brothers. I already knew about Le Prince, but I had no idea just how forward-thinking he was. I think anyone with an interest in film history would enjoy this.

There was only one thing I disliked, and this may be more the fault of Amazon-I always turn on subtitles because of my tinnitus, and there were many mistakes in the ones for this movie.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unbroken. An incredible movie, based on a true story. It is about Louie Zamperini, an Olympic runner who became a pilot in WWll. His plane crashed and he, along with two other men, survived 47 days adrift on a life raft. They were captured by the Japanese and Louie spent two years in POW camps. One guard, nicknamed The Bird, tortured prisoners, especially Louie. Louie survived all of it.
I liked how accurate the movie was. Normally movies change things so much if they are based on a true story. The acting was great, too.
I didn't really dislike much about the film.
Here's the trailer if anyone's interested.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I feel a little ashamed I haven't watch a more "intellectual" movie lately like you guys! :lol:
I just watched Independence Day, it was on TV and nothing else really interested me, and currently I Robot is on...yet another Will Smith action movie.
What can I say, I'm more in the mood for brain candy right now. :drool: :rolleyes2:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Ordinary People. I watched it yesterday. Won Oscar for Best Film of 1980 and Judd Hirsch won
for Best Supporting Actor If you've never seen it I think you'd like it, but have some tissues near.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ordinary People. I watched it yesterday. Won Oscar for Best Film of 1980 and Judd Hirsch won
for Best Supporting Actor If you've never seen it I think you'd like it, but have some tissues near.
We read the book for a high school class. It was one of the only books from high school literature I actually liked.
--
The last film I watched was Mystery Men...a ragtag group of eccentric and not-that-great superheroes have to save the city from equally eccentric bad guys (after they accidentally caused the death of the city's capable (but very egotistical) super hero. Lots of great actors and quirky humor..some of which doesn't hold up 20 years later, but still it's pretty decent.
1596790324902.png

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A short film : "Baghdad Messi" by Sahim Omar Kalifa.
It's about a young boy, who plays football relentlessly despite having a leg amputated. He is a huge fan of football player Messi.
It's a sad movie, but it shows how violence has failed to crush Iraqi children's passion for football.
The director used to work for our refugee board in Belgium (as a translator) before he became a fulltime film director.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on how you define it. The last movie where we actually went to a theater was Who Framed Roger Rabbit; the last one-shot was The Untouchables, from a 3 DVD Sean Connery set, while the last movie was the mini-series The Pacific, which I bought as a boxed set.
The Untouchables focused on the battle in Chicago between Elliot Ness and his band of Federal law enforcement and Al Capone's gang
The Pacific followed the experiences of 3 Marines- John Basilone, Robert Leckie, and Eugene Sledge from Guadalcanal through to Okinawa, and in the case of Leckie and Sledge, after the war- Basilone, awarded the Medal of Honor on Guadalcanal, was killed on Iwo Jima.
I liked all of them about the same, for different reasons.

Last edited:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I went for mindless entertainment, too: Wonder Woman with Gal Gadot. It’s on Amazon and cost $1.99. :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom bought the live-action Mulan on Disney + so I watched that the last time I went to her house. It wasn't like the other Disney live-action remakes, which seem to all be almost word-for-word with the cartoon movie. It was good, but the story was. . .disjointed maybe. I never knew exactly what was going on or who was who. It was all action and not much story. But it was visually stunning.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On the Basis of Sex. Showtime had it on shortly after Ginsburg passed away.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Bagdad Café - CCH Pounder, Marianne Sägebrecht and Jack Palance were excellent. It got pretty silly at the end, but since I am pretty silly too, I am OK with that.

Last edited: