The infamous Rare Luxating Patella

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jamal

Thank you so much for all of your information. We had to take our cat to the emergency vet last night to discover that he has bilateral luxating patellas. He is a little over a year old, and we are consulting with a place that can do surgeries today.

My wife and I both lost sleep last night as Jamal sat under our bed in pain. Reading your post this morning really brings us a lot of hope. It was great to hear all the steps you went through, as well as the financial costs.
Surgery is probably best for your cat if he's in pain. Luna isn't in pain, at least not yet. She still does everything that kittens do. We watch her closely.

jamal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On sunday we were able to find a vet that was open and take our little Jamal in for a free examination. The great thing about this vet hospital is that they have a OS there during all hours.

The vet was super nice and let us know that both his knees were in place. She gave us a higher dose of pain meds, a free dental kit (bad teeth too!) as well as a detailed estimated price for surgery if it comes to that. We set up a follow up appointment for two weeks and are keep record of his health over the ongoing days.

He is quite drugged and keeps leaning up and falling to one side. His knees went out a few times after seeing the vet, but today both of his knees have done pretty well. He hasn't moved, so maybe that is why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

steel panther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, we're at about the 6 month mark since his first surgery and I think 3rd since his second and he runs like the wind and jumps off anything and everything he can. He still does get a bit labored if the surface is a bit high he jumps from, but he hasn't been this happy and playful since we got him.

I was however trying to figure out his "true" breed, and he has every physical feature and personality trait of an Egyption Mau .. except one. He's the biggest lap **** on the planet. He will do ANYTHING to get on my lap or stomach just for some pets and to take a little nap. Doesn't matter how busy I am or if I'm getting ready to lay down, my lap his his personal property I guess =P

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Steel Panther

Well, we're at about the 6 month mark since his first surgery and I think 3rd since his second and he runs like the wind and jumps off anything and everything he can. He still does get a bit labored if the surface is a bit high he jumps from, but he hasn't been this happy and playful since we got him.
That's great! I'm happy to read that he's doing so much better

planetx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here - was looking for help on how to deal with my poor cat who is cursed with this problem. She got into a bad way a year ago and couldn't walk on either back leg - had surgery on one leg. A year on and she is using the untreated leg more than the 'fixed' one. I'm unwilling to put her through any more surgery, especially when the outcome hasn't been good at all.
Any advice on how to make her life better - she's the worlds sweetest natured little cat, and she's only 2. I'm heartbroken.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by planetx

Hi, I'm new here - was looking for help on how to deal with my poor cat who is cursed with this problem. She got into a bad way a year ago and couldn't walk on either back leg - had surgery on one leg. A year on and she is using the untreated leg more than the 'fixed' one. I'm unwilling to put her through any more surgery, especially when the outcome hasn't been good at all.
Any advice on how to make her life better - she's the worlds sweetest natured little cat, and she's only 2. I'm heartbroken.
Have you taken your cat back to the vet? to have the leg looked at again, to make sure she healed ok from surgery.

planetx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Have you taken your cat back to the vet? to have the leg looked at again, to make sure she healed ok from surgery.
yes, she healed fine and all was well for about 6 months. Then all of sudden she was back on 3 legs, holding the corrected leg up. I took her to the vet and the patella was out, he gave me painkillers and anti-inflammatories (which she can't tolerate). The idea with the surgery was that she would be able to use the good leg to take weight off the other one - it's ended up the reverse. I really regret her having it, and won't be going down that road again, the recovery was horrific.
I'm about to start her on a prescription joint diet, but it's really expensive and I don't think it's a long-term option for me.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by planetx

yes, she healed fine and all was well for about 6 months. Then all of sudden she was back on 3 legs, holding the corrected leg up. I took her to the vet and the patella was out, he gave me painkillers and anti-inflammatories (which she can't tolerate). The idea with the surgery was that she would be able to use the good leg to take weight off the other one - it's ended up the reverse. I really regret her having it, and won't be going down that road again, the recovery was horrific.
I'm about to start her on a prescription joint diet, but it's really expensive and I don't think it's a long-term option for me.
Our vet told us that cats can heal from Luxating Patella on their own. She said when Luna hit 8 months old, she could do the surgery. Then when we took Luna back because she was limping more. The vet said she wouldn't do the surgery until she was a year old. She also told us that even with the surgery, Luna will always limp.

Luna so far is doing ok. She is now only limping when she first wakes up. She isn't in any pain. She's running around playing with Midnight. She pounces, and does everything normal kittens do. We notice it when we pick her up, because that's when we feel her knees pop.

Our vet doesn't think Luna is going to need the surgery. I know 1 member on here had a cat go through the surgery, and it worked for their cat. Reading what's happening to your cat, I don't think we'll do the surgery, especially since she isn't bad off.

mel319

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 year old male cat that the vet says has luxating patellas in both back legs. They suggested he lose weight first and went from just under 22lbs to 17.5 lbs in 7months. He went back for a check up and the vet said this patellas are completely out and his legs will start to bow out sooner or later. He said to have him try to get down to 14 lbs before surgery. After losing the weight, my cat was running and jumping again and onto counters that he hasn't done in a long time because of being heavy. I don't want to wait too long so he doesn't have damage but he seems to be fine and never really shows signs of discomfort. Any suggestions??
-Thanks I'm new to this forum

lokiboki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Steel Panther,

Our cat Loki, about 1 1/2 years has been diagnosed with luxating patella and in addition to the cost (in DC they are asking for $2,000 per leg) we are very concerned about the recovery period. The vet said we should keep him from jumping on anything for 6-8 weeks. I don't know how to do that with a cat, esp. one as athletic as ours. It doesn't sound like you had anywhere near that recovery period with your cat. Can you give me any tips about how to help him through the recovery?

Thanks so much!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
One of our rescues had double knee surgery starting back in Feb. In all, it was a 16 week recovery period. This was our first time we experience with luxating patellas. By the time we could get her into surgery, she could no longer bare weight on her hind legs.

First knee was done, followed by 4 weeks of crate time (in an extra large size dog crate.) We were told to expect up to 6 wks recovery time for each leg. Second surgery performed, followed by an additional 6 weeks of crating.
She was released from the crate at week 10, into a room free of furniture. She was room confined for an additional 6 weeks while we did physical therapy to regain muscle tone in both legs.

She was released from her surgeon's care in June. While she still had minor weakness in her left hind leg (the last to have surgery) she now is able to run, jump and climb like a typical cat and is definitely making up for lost time.

I think it was harder on me to have her crated for so long; but, we put the crate next to a window and rotated toys our to help keep her stimulated. Luckily, she's an easy going girl. Also should note that she was about 10 months old at the time of surgery #1.

lokiboki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your description and suggestions. I have thought about a crate but it seems so awful. Esp. since we have three other cats roaming freely. But, I don't know what else to do. Did your cat cry a lot in the crate or just seem to adapt? It sounds as though she is just fine now?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, Holly is doing very well. I only wish she could have had surgery sooner. It was a "short" 2 weeks from the initial diagnosis of her knee caps slipping to her being lame. But, we were worked in as soon as possible.

The crate we used is made by Guardian Gear (the pioneer soft sided crate.) It can be ordered off Petedge.com. We used the largest on (green.) It was big enough that I could get inside with her (the top opens up.) Although I am on the smaller side...5'2". It was big enough to accommodate a litter box, food bowls (I suggest using an elevated feeding set) a sleeping area next to that and a few toys.

Her recovery from the first surgery was much quick than the second. I have since met another kitty going through surgery and they have seen the same thing. She was up baring weight in a matter of 5-7 days. It's taken her longer with the second leg; but, she bares weight on it fully now and to a new person, I am doubtful they would really notice a difference between the legs now. But, she had no use of either back leg prior to surgery.

The first few days post op are the roughest for both the pet and the owner. Holly was on a combo of buprenex and meloxicam before, during surgery and during recovery time. She had no side effects from this. I have read plenty of posts on hear to know how some people feel about meloxicam; but, I wouldn't change that decision.

I wouldn't think twice to do surgery for her again. We did seek out a vet that had performed the surgery on a cat before. Luckily he was only 20 mins away and was the husband of the vet ophthalmologist we use of the rescue, so it was a win-win. I think her surgery cost was 1600 for the first, and 1200 for the second. All follow up care, x-rays were included.

Just as a suggestion, there is sometimes grant money available for pets needing surgery. Would be worth checking in to (google it.)

lokiboki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again, and I'm glad Holly is doing well. I have located the crate you described and it doesn't seem as bad as a large metal crate, which is what I had envisioned. We have already met with the surgeon ... several weeks ago. At that time he said we could wait 6-8 months, but Loki's leg is out (again) and not going back into place on its own so I think our time-table will move up. We are taking him to the vet today to see if they can get his leg back into place until we can schedule surgery.

spicegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7-year-old diluted calico Abigail has luxating patella in both back legs.  She's probably had it for awhile - always ran with her back legs together like a bunny.  But she's gotten worse and she stumbles around backwards and is pretty scared when her knee pops out of joint.   My vet referred me to a surgeon who told me her condition will only get worse and he recommended surgery on both legs at the same time.  So she'll have surgery on Sept 27.   Cost is $3,000 total.  He said recovery time is 6-8 weeks and she'll need to be crated so she can't jump.  I purchased a large dog crate/kennel that's large enough to hold a litter box, a bed, and food dishes.  I was not thrilled over the cost or the recovery time, but I don't want to have her euthanized just because she's got bad knees.  So, if she has to be in a kennel for a couple of months, so be it.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm surprised they are doing both at the same time. The surgeon we used said that was not an option for cats. It leaves them unable to walk at all during the recovery period. I think I would get a second opinion about this. You should just be able to call another surgeon and just ask if it protocol to perform surgery on both knees at the same time.

Holly was 9/10 mo old when she had her surgery...could bare weight at all on 1 leg and had very minimal use of the second. She was crawling prior to 1st surgery. Within 5 days she was using surgery leg #1. Can't imagine if we had done surgery on both legs. I don't believe she would have healed as well, not have regained function as well as she did/has.

ritamarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lokiboki

Did you ever get a reply from Steel Panther? I'm having the same issue with my cat same age as yours.  I heard you have to crate them for 1-2 months each leg. Mine is a little athlete too.

Thanks,

Ritamarie

spicegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update on Abigail's recent surgery.  She's doing great!  She had both of her knees operated on on Sept 27 - she was up and walking a little that same day.  I took her home the next day and she's in a cage for the next 5-7 weeks.  But she needs to exercise, so I let her out when I can make sure she doesn't jump on any furniture.  She walks around a little, then goes back into her bed that's in the cage.  At first her legs were a bit swollen and she's been on pain killers (Onsior for two days and Buprenex until yesterday).  It took a week for her to feel well enough to eat hearty and to use the litter box.  (She was peeing a little in her bed, but was not eating or drinking much.)  Tomorrow she gets her stitches out.  She's walking slowly and she's a bit stiff, but her surgeon says she's looking good.  I'm very happy with the ways things went.