The ignorance is staggering

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For several months I have been butting heads with another person who lives near me. Her take on ferals is to kill them all. That TNR does not work and the only good feral is a dead feral. She doesn't want to listen to reason, look at stats at how TNR is showing a small difference to the declining population of ferals. I have shown her pics of my litters of feral kittens and asked her to choose which one she would destroy- her choice is to say to destroy them all! She also maintains that ferals ONLY come from other ferals and when I point out to her that there are people who dump off cats and kittens in the wild that were once domesticated and are either abused and abandoned and THAT is what causes some feral populations to take off, she responds that "people wouldn't do that to a pet!" GRRRRR! Anybody got a brick I can throw at her thick head? And her age? She is 26 years old, talk about not being enlightned and in this day and age with the amount of information available, that is scary.

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

Body by Fischer brain by Mattel perhaps?? You did exactly what I would've done by telling her the reason there are ferals are because of ignorant $%!#*& morons like her who dump their no longer wanted pets!!! By chance does she have dogs? I am so sick and tired of stupid people like her who want everyone else to take away the problem. No wonder we rescuers get burned out. It's like

Hang in there, I feel your frustration, believe me!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She raises pit bulls! Now, I have nothing against pit bulls per se, but I am betting my bottom dollar that she is teaching these dogs to hate cats. her and her beer guzzlin, truck revin, mud-jumpin hubby just make me ill. Red-necks to the max!

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too! I'll bet you're right about raising pit bulls to hate cats. I'd keep an eye on the ferals. If they come up missing, go look in their yard. Scumbag rednecks. I hope to God that the ferals steer clear of them. In some states pitbulls are outlawed. Might want to check your state's law on it.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
For several months I have been butting heads with another person who lives near me. Her take on ferals is to kill them all. That TNR does not work and the only good feral is a dead feral. She doesn't want to listen to reason, look at stats at how TNR is showing a small difference to the declining population of ferals. I have shown her pics of my litters of feral kittens and asked her to choose which one she would destroy- her choice is to say to destroy them all! She also maintains that ferals ONLY come from other ferals and when I point out to her that there are people who dump off cats and kittens in the wild that were once domesticated and are either abused and abandoned and THAT is what causes some feral populations to take off, she responds that "people wouldn't do that to a pet!" GRRRRR! Anybody got a brick I can throw at her thick head? And her age? She is 26 years old, talk about not being enlightned and in this day and age with the amount of information available, that is scary.
OMG, this lady is only 26 and is this hard-headed!!! I though she was a bitter old woman when I first read your thread. Unfortunately, this ignorance is not unheard of. I know if one major animal advocacy group that believes all feral cats should be euthanized because of how much they breed, the small animal populations that are hurt by them, and the diseases they may spread. I also heard some crazy person from this group say dog ownership is cruelty.🤪 These people are fringe lunatics who end up doing more harm than good for the animals. Perhaps, this lady is a member of this organization.

Feral cats are where they are because of human callousness, laziness, and stupidity. In my neighborhood, when we were having a kitty population boom, I could not get over the cats you know someone owns (particularly unneutered males who was knocking up all the stray females). If it wasn't for these irresponsible pet owners, my neighborhood would not have so many kitties on the street ( even now 2 years after being tnred).

I think you know in your heart that this lady is not open to the facts about ferals, you cannot change her mind or further educate her. She is closed minded, and content in her ignorance. To save yourself any more frustration, avoid talking with her. She sounds like a lost cause.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just realized that this thread us 19 years old. Well, I hope everything has worked out. Maybe a miracle happened and this woman is now on board with helping feral cats. You never know.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes run across old threads and I always wonder how things turned out. I have known people who did end up turning over a new leaf. It’s pretty amazing how a cat can change lives. Hopefully that mean minded person either moved into a cave or something happened to change her life for the better. Stranger things have happened. I often find that those who hate are spurred on by fear. Still the fear and the hate fades.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes run across old threads and I always wonder how things turned out. I have known people who did end up turning over a new leaf. It’s pretty amazing how a cat can change lives. Hopefully that mean minded person either moved into a cave or something happened to change her life for the better. Stranger things have happened. I often find that those who hate are spurred on by fear. Still the fear and the hate fades.

Or spurred on by their own miserable lives.