The Huggy bite thing

azachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Princess is a 1 year old female. Ever since I can recall she sometimes out of the blue will do this thing where she wraps around my arm with her claws dug in and bites my hand, I'm sure she's not trying to be mean or anything, but she does this out of nowhere. Is she trying to tell me something?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you normally petting her when she does this? Cats do get overstimulated and she may be telling you she's had enough.

In my experience with Holland (she does it too) it means either (a) stop petting me, or (b) I want to play so you better get a toy out so I quit using your hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azachu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mystik Spiral

Are you normally petting her when she does this? Cats do get overstimulated and she may be telling you she's had enough.

In my experience with Holland (she does it too) it means either (a) stop petting me, or (b) I want to play so you better get a toy out so I quit using your hand.
I'm sometimes petting her but not always.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a play/love thing. One of my cats will occasionally wrap his paws around my forearm and give love pinches with his teeth! Sometimes I get those pinches on the face - cheek or eyebrow. I am careful not to withdraw!!! Or it will really hurt!

I would also suggest you NOT play with your kitty using your hand(s) as a toy.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be trying to play with you, using your arm/hand as a toy. Or it could be her way of showing affection. Luna's way of showing affection is to bite toes. Also when she's hungry in the morning if she gets under the covers before I fully wake up she'll bite my stomach.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

maybe it's mealtime, and you're not getting the message so she has to resort to this to get your attention

the cause could be one of several things - check out this link on this website:
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...rd-People.html

maybe something will be helpful in the Behavior Forum http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Behavior.html

I have an athletic sock filled with stuff - like a thick plastic *noisy* bag - and when one of mine start to use me as a chew toy I exchange my arm/hand for the toy. He tears into the sock, biting one end and digging his back legs into the other end of the sock - it distracts him. Other than that - he does know what the word "no" means and gets insulted, and walks off with ears back,.

lowongas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat play this game. Instead of wrestling with another cat it wrestles with me.I'm the only one in the family it plays this game with.
My cat actually purrs as it wraps around my hand. rubs bites and kicks.
Never hurt me. I know the damage a cat can do if it wants.
I personally won't take this game away.

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat Moonbat does this sometimes. I think it is a positive thing; she is giving me the same treatment she give other cats when they are grooming. Soft bites are one of the ways cats express affection.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get the same thing with Squeaky and she's about 1 1/2. I'm hoping she outgrows it! But I don't encourage it, and I let my hand go limp when she does it.