The Great Cornstarch Hunt

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last year, it was teaberries. And that was a futile mission. Never did find any. And I found out they're no longer being made.

This year? Cornstarch. Of all things. I don't use it often, but I do use it. And I used the last of it in my General Tso's chicken a couple weeks ago. Not a biggie....or so I thought. We looked at Sam's Club, we checked two Giant stores, we hit a Weis store. Rick checked an off-the-wall grocery store when he visited his mom the other day. Nobody has cornstarch. At Sam's, I asked a clerk and she said they hadn't had it in weeks.

Found it at Aldi's last night. I don't understand why cornstarch did a disappearing act!

What are you missing? Anything?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's really strange here. For the most part everything is there but sometimes there is something missing, can't be found anywhere. I hadn't looked for cornstarch. I remember you saying you couldn't find Luzianne tea, that wasn't an issue here. That is what I use and it was always in the store when I got low. It is strange. It is just every once in a while with something you wouldn't think would be hard to get and it seems to be different for different parts of the country. I have gotten in the habit of going down the baby formula aisle and that shortage seems to have eased the last couple of weeks.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I picked up a good-sized bag of cornstarch a year or so ago and that will last me forever, so I haven't looked recently. What an odd thing for there to be a shortage of!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW.. If I had now, I used only about a tablespoon of cornstarch for my T-day meal. It is sitting in my cabinet!!

The shortages are so strange. I do not get it... not consistent at all.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can’t get is the spot acne treatment I’ve been using for years from Neutrogena. Its got Salicylic acid and that works much better on acne for me. DD kept swiping my tube for herself and I can’t find a replacement. Most have benzoyl peroxide and that just doesn’t do much for me. I got her one with peroxide instead because I couldn’t stomach spending $17 on a different brand with it or paying as much in shipping as the treatment costs. 🤪

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Target this morning to stock up on the skin care stuff and the shelves were barer than I expected. I found what I use but I hadn't seen it like that before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It's really strange here. For the most part everything is there but sometimes there is something missing, can't be found anywhere. I hadn't looked for cornstarch. I remember you saying you couldn't find Luzianne tea, that wasn't an issue here. That is what I use and it was always in the store when I got low. It is strange. It is just every once in a while with something you wouldn't think would be hard to get and it seems to be different for different parts of the country. I have gotten in the habit of going down the baby formula aisle and that shortage seems to have eased the last couple of weeks.
Still can't get Luzianne tea bags and I prefer it for iced tea. I've never seen it again around here. I could get it from Amazon at almost $15 for a package of 100 tea bags, but I'm not paying it.

Canned Friskies Pate is still an issue in our stores. I haven't seen Friskies Indoor Delights in I don't know how long. It's been out of stock at Chewy forever. Fortunately the girls did switch over to Friskies Tender and Crunchy with no trouble.

Got this from Purina: Unfortunately, we have made the decision to temporarily suspend production of Friskies Indoor Delights. We know it can be frustrating to not find exactly what you are looking for, and we would be happy to help you find a similar flavor or variety that your cat might like.

I had been looking and looking for Temptations Hairball Treats for months now. Just found out that it's now called Indoor Care and yeah, our Giant does have it. :sigh:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is just so odd the way shortages are dispersed and are in certain areas. That was why I mentioned the Luzianne tea. I am in Ohio and was able to get it all summer long, I still have part of a box, but it couldn't be found in an area in Pennsylvania. The baby formula seemed to be the one that was nationwide. It seemed to have eased a bit here in the last two weeks. I am just going by how the shelves look I don't know about specific specialty formulas. My days of using formula are well behind me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve heard baby formula is still hard to come by in some areas. A woman said she adopted at birth and her sister ended up pumping for her while feeding her own similar aged baby because of the shortages. I haven’t looked in my own area stores but gosh I hope things are better.

I just managed to order my acne treatment via Amazon Prime. It lasts a long time so hopefully I won’t ever run out for real. The whole skincare section at Walmart was a disaster but I was starting to think they stopped making it. At least now I should have time to find a replacement.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The supply isn't projected to get back to normal until next Spring.

The shelves here look better than they have since this started but they still aren't fully stocked. I think some of the specialty formulas are still in really short supply. I didn't look at what was available only generally how much was on the shelves. Pediatricians, hospitals and clinics are supposed to have access to supplies and as a last resort people can usually get a can or two there but that isn't met to be a regular supply only a small emergency supply.