The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who here has read the book? Did you enjoy it? want to see the movie?

I just started it and am about a third of the way thru, I thought it was going to be more difficult reading, think Anne Rice type difficult, not really difficult, just.....heavy maybe? but it has really captured my interest, I wish I could just sit and read thru it :lol3: Now that I've started the book, I really want to see the movie too, another reason I need to get reading :lol3:

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've read the trilogy and liked the books much more than I'd expected to. A co-worker and I were just talking yesterday about how much we both want to see the movie (the U.S. one; she's seen the Swedish one and says it's very dark).

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I read the book, and saw the Swedish version of the movie.. the movie is hard to follow, especially if one hasn't read the book. Thought the trilogy was awesome

I want to see the US version!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen the third in the series out... guess I ought to check amazon. :lol3: Loved the first two books! Such a shame the author died. :( :rbheart: RIP, Stieg Larsson. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's only in hardcover for now, Laurie, paperback comes out on Feb 21, 2012.... I checked :lol3: it's the same day Kathy Reichs' latest comes out on p-back too :D

I heard the US version is pretty dark too, but i really have no desire to see the Swedish versions :dk: maybe I'll watch them after the US ones :lol3:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't seen the third in the series out... guess I ought to check amazon. :lol3: Loved the first two books! Such a shame the author died. :( :rbheart: RIP, Stieg Larsson. :rbheart:
Love these books too. I want to see the movie for sure. AND RIP :rbheart: Stieg :rbheart:

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I read the 2nd one and bit the bullet and bought the 3rd in hardcover.  I liked them and think the movie will be good to see.  I think there is some clothing store H&M? that is coming out with a themed clothing line of Lis Salander!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it's only in hardcover for now, Laurie, paperback comes out on Feb 21, 2012.... I checked :lol3: it's the same day Kathy Reichs' latest comes out on p-back too :D
I heard the US version is pretty dark too, but i really have no desire to see the Swedish versions :dk: maybe I'll watch them after the US ones :lol3:
Perfect! Gary can get me a belated bday present. :flail:

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read the first two books, and seen the Swedish movies. The third book is on my "to-read" list. I love them, both the books and the films. But I agree that the Swedish film would be hard to follow if you haven't read the book, especially if you're like me and have a hard time not focusing on the subtitles...

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read the trilogy and although they aren't normally the type of books I read, I did really enjoy them. They can drag in parts, but they are worth the read. Going to see the movie with my hunny tonight!

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't read any of the books yet and until my boyfriend saw it, I wanted to see the movie too but he told me that there's a pretty graphic scene involving a cat which I don't think I'd be able to stomach. I may still see it but I'll make sure I go with my boyfriend and then he can warn me when the scene is coming up so I can close my eyes lol.  lol I know no real cat was harmed BUT I think it would still be hard to watch.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't read any of the books yet and until my boyfriend saw it, I wanted to see the movie too but he told me that there's a pretty graphic scene involving a cat which I don't think I'd be able to stomach. I may still see it but I'll make sure I go with my boyfriend and then he can warn me when the scene is coming up so I can close my eyes lol.  lol I know no real cat was harmed BUT I think it would still be hard to watch.

I knew it was coming and completely looked away. I told Dana to tell me when it was over!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw it today. See, I didn't know the dead cat scene was coming, as I haven't read the books, or seen the original movies (I hear they didn't do the cat in the original, though). I'm pretty sure they used a *very* realistic prop for the dead cat scene, but yes, it was still rather disturbing. She was such a lover kitty. I swear Daniel Craig must have a cat, he seemed rather comfy with her curled up on him in the one scene after his first night. She's an awesome cat. hangs out on his printer, etc... Such personality. My friend Shannon, who treated me to the film, is also a cat person, and we were both giggling at the various cat-quirks... I swear she stole every scene.

For those who wish to look away for that scene, when he steps outside in the morning, and you hear him swear, LOUDLY, close your eyes then. It may help to have someone with you who can handle watching it so they can tell you when its safe to look again.

I like that they kept the setting and had the right touches, like the articles he was pinning up to do research were in Swedish, not English. Very well done, despite the animal violence and the ... graphic/intimate scenes. I'm not a huge fan of those anyway. Well done,  and they showed the progression of Lis, but explicit scenes just aren't my "thing."

And Christopher Plummer is still very handsome after all these years. Oof!

Amanda

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read only the first book from the trilogy, and saw the movie last night. Now that I've seen the movie though I want to read the other two books as well though because it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the first book, I had forgotten about it ...

I don't mind the graphic scenes- well they certainly aren't fun to watch, but I think they are absolutely necessary to convey the point and to make viewers aware of what Lisbeth is going through. I think without those scenes, it's hard to imagine how she must be feeling.

The scene with the cat is not that bad, they only show it for a second. And yes it was very sad, but because it wasn't the main focus it was easy to put it out of your thoughts as soon as it was over.

I just love Lisbeth's character, the author did such a good job.

Oh, and right before I saw The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, I watched Mission Impossible, and it was the worst movie I've seen in some time..It was just sooo bad! I don't even know where to begin. Like, throughout the entire movie while the cool action scenes were going on I kept thinking "what's the point, why are the doing all this"...It was supposedly to prevent some kind of nuclear war between Russia and the US, but it seemed extremely far fetched...
Anyway didn't mean to get off topic but I am still irritated at how stupid that movie was :)

Last edited:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about 1/3 of the way thru the first book, and haven't seen the movie yet ( going next week), so I'm wondering:  does the movie cover all 3 books, or just the first one? 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm about 1/3 of the way thru the first book, and haven't seen the movie yet ( going next week), so I'm wondering:  does the movie cover all 3 books, or just the first one? 

Just the first one hun, but they will be making the other 2 into films as well from what I've heard.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the graphic scenes- well they certainly aren't fun to watch, but I think they are absolutely necessary to convey the point and to make viewers aware of what Lisbeth is going through. I think without those scenes, it's hard to imagine how she must be feeling.

The scene with the cat is not that bad, they only show it for a second. And yes it was very sad, but because it wasn't the main focus it was easy to put it out of your thoughts as soon as it was over.

I just love Lisbeth's character, the author did such a good job.

Oh, and right before I saw The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, I watched Mission Impossible, and it was the worst movie I've seen in some time..It was just sooo bad! I don't even know where to begin. Like, throughout the entire movie while the cool action scenes were going on I kept thinking "what's the point, why are the doing all this"...It was supposedly to prevent some kind of nuclear war between Russia and the US, but it seemed extremely far fetched...
Anyway didn't mean to get off topic but I am still irritated at how stupid that movie was :)
I understand the graphic scenes are essential to developing Lis, so we know what kind of h*** she's dealing with. I do love her inked revenge on the jerk.

The dead cat clips were a few seconds... watched the whole thing. I didn't close my eyes or anything. I was examining it to see how good of a job the did on the prop. It looks more real than any other I've seen.

MI: blech. I wouldn't pay money anymore to see a Cruise film. the MI franchise is rather ego-bloating for him anymore. It's all so dumbed down and aimed at younger males who just want to see things blow up. Very little plot, almost no substance. Not my thing. I would bet the script isn't very long in terms of dialogue.

Back to Tattoo..

Amanda

catsandlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just saw the movie (in US) and it was wonderful! I truly loved it. Hadn't read the books so I only knew a little of what to expect. But since it was girl's night out, I was all in.  NOW, I can't wait to see the next one.

The part with the cat getting killed was unexpected and me and my sister were in shock. The human killings were bad and grisly enough but this was unexpected and us being cat lovers...well...  The cat in the movie looks so much like my kitten Aiden that when I began to point it out to my sister that it made me extra sad because she looked like Aiden, she quickly put her hand up so I wouldn't even utter the words. Lol.  I agree, the prop was excellent. But it was a prop and I was able to move on. However, my sister couldn't let it go so easily so if you're more emotional about such things, look away when he steps out of his front door and shouts an expletive. 

Once I got home, I bypassed my dog and other cats and beelined it to Aiden kitty with kisses and squishing him into my face and neck.  Like the adorable cat in the movie, he's very interactive and a lover so he just loved it all and purred in my ear until he put his paw on my face to end the lovefest.

Great movie all around.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read all three books and seen all the Swedish movies (loved all of them.)  I've been hesitant to see the US version, mainly because Hollywood can screw up the best.  I wasn't sure they'd be able to top Noomi Rapace and Mikael Nyqvist in the lead roles (I personally don't find Daniel Craig to be attractive, at all!)  Perhaps I should give it a shot.