The Feral I've been feeding has worms.

ALEXAMONKEY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding a feral cat for several months now- I guess he's sort of become our cat. He hangs around our back yard most of the time and we are thinking of adopting him, despite the objections of our other two cats and our dog. But the cat has worms. I got over the counter dewormer, but even though e will come right up to me at this point, and put his nose to my hand, and even rub up against my legs sometimes, he is still not comfortable with being touched, so I had to guess at his weight. Is it true that this stuff is supposed to work after only one dose? I still see worms coming out of his butt, how long will that take to end? If I underdosed him will it not work? What if I overdosed him? It's been several hours since the treatment and he seems perfectly fine.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What brand of dewormer did you give him A ALEXAMONKEY ?

Was it a pill or one of those liquid dewormers you apply to the skin? What weight of cats is it supposed to treat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever dewormer you used MUST be capable of getting rid of tapeworms too, which almost all outside cats have because they eat rabbits and rodents which are the host for the fleas that spread it. It is the white segments of tapeworm that most people see on the rear end of cats. Unless he is super skinny I would estimate a cat's weight at 10-12 lbs and dose for that. I use a topical that you apply to the neck (up high so they can't lick it and foam at the mouth, cats are contortionists to lick their backs!)It is called Profender and you can call your vet and get a prescription for the pet med site, explaining he is a feral, you can't bring him in, and you saw the worms. There are a few meds that come over the counter for tapeworms, but not many.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ALEXAMONKEY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Was it a pill or one of those liquid dewormers you apply to the skin? What weight of cats is it supposed to treat?
I gave him WormEze. It says a teaspoon per five pounds of weight. I gave him a little more than 2 teaspoons. He is thin, but he's a very big cat. Very long, long limbs, long tail. I had to of course mix it into his food but he completely cleaned out the bowl so he must have gotten it all. I saw him this morning and he seemed perfectly normal but I didn't get a chance to look at his butt yet.

ALEXAMONKEY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It's a liquid, the brand is WormEze. 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs, so I guessed at a little more than 2 teaspoons.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wormeze will take care of roundworm and should help. But in a month or so I would give him something that takes care of hookworms and definitely tapeworm, which is probably what you saw. Most cats have all kinds of worms.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wormeze will take care of roundworm and should help. But in a month or so I would give him something that takes care of hookworms and definitely tapeworm, which is probably what you saw. Most cats have all kinds of worms.
:yeah:

I suggest getting some Profender. It's a liquid you apply to the back of the cat's neck. It treats roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms and it's easy to apply, you don't have to worry about him swallowing a pill or anything.

Profender® Dewormer for Cats

ALEXAMONKEY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
update, I haven't seen any worms since I gave him the treatment. Also, although he is a very large cat, he has also been skinny no matter how much he eats. Since the deworming, he is finally starting to put on some weight. I am slowly socializing him more with my animals by keeping my dog on a leash and putting his food just inside the door. But he's doing much better clearly.

this is hawkeye, back when he had a little bit of a skinned nose, I assume due to an altercation, I hope not one with my cats.
hawkeye 2.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is a beautiful little guy. Glad that he seems to have conquered the worm issue.