The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to take Little Boy for walks up and down the lane when he got up to nearly 9 kilos and I was trying to help him lose weight. (Now almost down to 7 kilos! Go Little Boy!)
Oh, that must have been fun. Bet he enjoyed it. :lovecat:

It's not great exercise walking a cat, because a lot of their walking time is spent staring at things. However, I did have to carry LB back up the steep hill, so that was good for upper body strength and cardiovascular.
Maybe a cat stroller would work. :headscratch:

And apparently unless I have 2, the neighbours won't think I'm crazy. :lol:

1679056973206.png

45 minutes walk and 2 hours fencing today.
Fencing?
1679057078322.png

Oh... the other kind of fencing. :lol:
1679057131444.png

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
45 minutes of yoga on Saturday and an hour of yoga today. All the rest of my spare time has been taken up with working on the fence, but I've got one side done!

:hyper:

It took longer than it should of done, because I realised I'd done things in the wrong order and spent Sunday undoing and redoing what I'd done the day before. But now that I've got the hang of it the other three sides shouldn't take too long. Maybe another month if the weather is nice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still nothing to report from me. Snow's all gone, but still chilly out, so no outside work happening yet. Soon, hopefully.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Snow's all gone, but still chilly out, so no outside work happening yet.
It's warm here, but the pollen is horrible. I've been working on the bottom end of the enclosure fence this week. It's really overgrown with vines. In fact, I think the vines might have been the only thing holding it together. I took the top of the fence off completely, recycled whatever could be saved and then put new wire mesh and fence toppers on. Even with antihistamines the pollen made it pretty miserable. I had to keep stopping every 30 minutes to wash my face and squirt eye drops into my eyes.

1 hour of yoga on Wednesday, 2 hours of yoga today.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's warm here, but the pollen is horrible.
Is this early for pollen there? Nothing is waking up here yet, except for some of the mini crocuses. And looks like they're going to be snow covered later today, if the forecast is right. But then rain to follow, so hopefully by tomorrow whatever white stuff falls will have washed away.

Hope the pollen situation improves for you, as it sounds quite miserable. 🤗

I actually went for a couple short walks this week.
15 minutes on Mon
22 minutes on Tue

Really looking forward, though, to getting outside and cleaning up the gardens, and raking up any leaves from last fall. Soon, hopefully.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it's early this year and the pollen count is really high. Even people who don't usually get allergies are being affected. We've already got a bit of cherry blossom too.

It rained here on Thursday night so Friday was more bearable outside. I got the bottom part of the enclosure fence finished! I started making some fence toppers for the next long side. Got the wood sawed up and the pieces screwed together, but I need to paint them with wood preserver before they can go up. So I need a dry day for that. I think I'm going to be dodging rain storms and pollen clouds for weeks yet.

:lol:

I'm really looking forward to starting on the garden soon too. I have plans to make a big wooden vegetable box.

One hour of yoga yesterday and today

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We had a few more days of rain, which was nice for my allergies. One hour of yoga on Sunday, one hour of yoga, painted the fence toppers and then one hour walk in the rain on Monday.

Today I started working on the third side of the enclosure. It was so overgrown, I spent most of my time hacking down thorny vines and clearing a space that I could work in. But at least I made a start. One hour of yoga to help me recover from all that gardening afterwards.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
28 minute walk today. I'll try to make it to 30 tomorrow. Then Saturday is rain. Those April showers are arriving right on time. ☔

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've been mainly doing outdoor work, fence repairs, battle with the thorny vines and hauling firewood around this week. 2 and a half sides of the fence done. It's slow work, but it looks much better than the old fence.

Also, a friend of mine who works in construction gave me a load of wood yesterday. He had been working on an outdoor deck for a local restaurant and brought me a truck load of off-cuts. Beautiful wood! thick planks of treated timber that can be used outside, but is nice enough for use inside too.

I'm thinking a vegetable box, another cat tree and maybe a little bookcase.

My arms hurt with all this weight lifting, but it's fun to be working outside again.

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
45 minutes of yoga on Saturday and an hour of yoga today. All the rest of my spare time has been taken up with working on the fence, but I've got one side done!

:hyper:

It took longer than it should of done, because I realised I'd done things in the wrong order and spent Sunday undoing and redoing what I'd done the day before. But now that I've got the hang of it the other three sides shouldn't take too long. Maybe another month if the weather is nice.
I'm thinking of a fence for blackie, how high should it be that he can't jump it? The ground is still frozen for setting posts so no rush...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm thinking of a fence for blackie, how high should it be that he can't jump it? The ground is still frozen for setting posts so no rush...
I guess it depends what you make the fence out of. Ours is made of wooden posts and deer netting, with wire mesh on the top. The cats can climb up the posts really easily, but they can't get over the wire mesh because it inclines inwards. This is what it looked like originally, but I'm taking the netting off the top and putting a wider mesh up, so it doesn't collapse every time it snows.

Fence1.jpg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a walk with J today, and we took a family walk yesterday. Both were easy and low key, and more for getting outside in this nice weather.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Three sides of the fence done! The enclosure is L shaped, so there are 3 more sides to do, but the top part isn't in such bad shape. That can wait. I'm going to focus on giving the garden some love this month.

I've been getting up early so I have time for a 45 minute or 1 hour yoga practice before I start work, then doing the fence in my afternoon break.

Today I had time to walk for an hour too

Status
Not open for further replies.