The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This is the thread where we discuss our exercise routines, post pictures and encourage each other to be more active. Everyone welcome! Regular exercisers and New Year's Resolution exercisers alike.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, last year's exercise motivation thread only made it to October. Let's see if we can keep this one alive a whole year.

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I walked for 2 hours yesterday. Very cold, but lovely blue sky and I could see a nice view of the lake from the highest point on my walk. An hour of yoga today. I want to get back into my 90 minute yoga routine. I was really busy for the past couple of months and only managed an hour a day, which meant I missed out a lot of the Vinyasa, standing balances and more challenging asana. Got to try and build my stamina back up again.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am extremely unmotivated, lol, but read something today that gives me much more hope than my doctor’s unrealistic “moderate to intense resistance exercise half an hour five days a week” suggestion.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate "having" to exercise and am also very unmotivated. I refuse to go to a gym and will not waste money on fancy equipment. So I knew I had to find something that I could do that I would be able to continue with. After looking into different things, what I found was something called metabolic exercise / training. I only had to exercise 3 times a week (to start), and the sessions were only about 15 minutes...more if I wanted to do a 3 round. They are only about 7-8 minutes long for a single round but I would do two. My first couple weeks I only did one round...it was a nice...."That's it??? cool! I can do this." It was slow to see progress at first, but I don't have a lot of weight to lose and if you know anything about weight loss, the less to have to lose, the slower it takes to lose it. After doing the exercises about 3 times a week, 15 minute sessions, for about 2 and a half months, I lost about 4-5 pounds and lost almost 2 centimeters around my waist. It might not seem like much, but that's actually really good. But then life got in the way so October was a wash, then I was sick for most of November...then Christmas and everything that comes with it...so I decided I would just pick back up again in the new year rather than beat myself up about having to exercise. I know me, and when it comes to exercise, if it becomes a burden I'll not want to do it anymore so I didn't want it to become a bad thing to dread....more than it already was ;)...or become something that contributed to feeling overwhelmed. I've been severely burnt out...running on fumes for a few years now and it has negatively affected my health (physical and mental), so I need to make sure that I work in stages and set achievable goals to keep me motivated.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I managed to do my whole 90 minute yoga routine yesterday. I didn't push myself too hard, I modified a couple of the asana, but I made it all the way through. It was pretty tiring, did I really used to do that 3 or 4 times a week?

Went for a walk in the woods after that, about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Going to try the yoga again this morning, as soon as I've finished hanging out all the laundry.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Walked about a mile going to Dunkin and back Monday. Went to Stroller Strides yesterday. Will probably go again Friday because I have five classes this month, so I can manage twice this week.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you still using your treadmill thingy Winchester Winchester or are you able to go out for walks?

I did 30 minutes very gentle stretching yesterday. My arms were complaining about all the extra work I've been making them do.
"Arm balances again? We thought you'd given those up!"

90 minutes yoga and a one hour walk today. It's very slippery out. I'm glad I have my chain spikes on my boots.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Are you still using your treadmill thingy Winchester Winchester or are you able to go out for walks?
Norachan Norachan I'm leery of the treadmill and I'm leery of walking my outside route. For some reason, I'm worried about this knee giving out and I don't know why. If I'm on the treadmill and my knee goes, the treadmill isn't going to stop and that could be ugly. If I'm 2 miles away from the house and my knee gives out, I'd need to figure out how to get home. I don't know why I'm so paranoid. So I'm walking in the house. I do a basic walk throughout the house for an hour or so in the morning. And then every hour I walk about 1,000 steps, from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. That gets me to around 13,000 steps or so. I also purposely walk down to the basement and back up; every time I do that, it gets me one floor. And meanwhile, every time I go downstairs, my treadmill is making me feel guilty.

A step is a step, whether I do it outside on the treadmill or in the house. I'm trying.

Thursday, January 5
14,442 steps = 7.52 miles
23 floors

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I have a stupid cold again!!! So I'm postponing my re-start to exercising. It's not a bad cold or anything, just annoying, but I need to rest up this weekend so that I'm able to get over this quickly...I can't afford to take time off work.

Status
Not open for further replies.