Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't think I would go mountain climbing again. I'm terrified of wild animals
Hey, you're back! We missed you.
:dance:

There aren't any dangerous animals around here. The boar will charge you if they have young with them and you get too close, but boar don't go up that high. All the trails where the bear live are clearly marked and fenced off. The main dangers are falling or being hit by falling rocks. Apparently someone fell of the scary suspension bridge a few days after we climbed and had to be rescued by helicopter.
:eek3:

I haven't done anything exciting recently. I had booked a beach ride, but the instructor who takes the experienced riders out fell off his horse and broke his arm, so they've cancelled all the rides for the rest of this year. There's another long hike I want to do, but it's 7 hours. One of my cats is sick and I don't want to leave her alone all day. I've just been doing my daily yoga and my 90 minute walks around my neighborhood

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There aren't any dangerous animals around here.
No wildcats at all? No mountain lions?

All the trails where the bear live are clearly marked and fenced off.
That's a great idea! I wish they would do that here. My neighbor told me that a bear was waiting for me at the place I usually turned around on my walks. Could be a coincidence, but weird that he was waiting at that exact spot that I crossed every day!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No wildcats at all? No mountain lions?

That's a great idea! I wish they would do that here. My neighbor told me that a bear was waiting for me at the place I usually turned around on my walks. Could be a coincidence, but weird that he was waiting at that exact spot that I crossed every day!
Nothing that exotic.
:lol:
I think the fencing off only works with well behaved Japanese bears who know they have to stay in their designated zones. North American bears are too rebellious for that.
;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm gonna start back up with my 2 hour walks indoors
I wouldn't have the patience to do a 2 hour indoors walk, but I might try doing 2 x 15 minute indoor walks a day, now that it's getting cold out.
Maybe we can inspire each other to start, and then keep the momentum going. :walk:
(repeating myself, but glad to see you back)

Apparently someone fell of the scary suspension bridge a few days after we climbed and had to be rescued by helicopter.
:eek3:
Yikes. That's scary!

Not been doing much exercise lately. Not even raking leaves, as I decided to mow them this year. So still some walking around, as I push the mower, but nothing too strenuous.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I would go mountain climbing again. I'm terrified of wild animals. I went with my brother in Lake Tahoe at the place where they used to film Bonanza. When we came back down the mountain, there were all these tracks in the snow. I was like, Oh heck no! Never again.

I'm gonna start back up with my 2 hour walks indoors, probably on November 29th. I want to start by December 1st, but I usually like to start on a Monday, so that seems the most reasonable date. I've been doing good on my diet though! No more binge eating or drinking, just lunch & dinner, and 2 vanilla coffee drinks per day, and my 4 waters. I got rid of breakfast.
Good for you!!! Just stay determined. I have been on hiatus from my diet since September. I still exercise and try to eat healthy, but I have my ups and downs with that. I am going to go back on my diet after the holidays in January. I hope I can get back on it with no problems.

Well, it is good to see you on the site again. See you around. 🙂

P.S. Stay safe out there. Carry some bear spray or something that could make some loud sounds and scare the bear away.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carry some bear spray or something that could make some loud sounds and scare the bear away.
I will be taking my walks indoors until spring, so probably April when it warms up again. I don't go on that road anymore, with the long stretch of woods. I just stay on the road in front of the house where most of the woods is cut down for hay. Foxes and Coyotes still come out sometimes, but usually when people aren't around.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I keep forgetting to post here! I went for another long hike last week. We started at a big shrine at the bottom of Mount Fuji and walked up the old pilgrims trail to a place called Umagaeshi (Horses Return) You can follow the trail all the way to the top of the mountain, but it's a 24 hour round trip and I wouldn't risk it at this time of year. Umagaeshi is where pilgrims had to leave their horses, because the trail got too steep for them above that. Two hours up and one hour back down again.

A few pics. Big shrine at the bottom.

Walks374_R.jpg
Walks376_R.jpg

Here you go M maggiedemi If ever you're in Japan and see a sign like this don't go past this point. Bears live up here.
Walks379_R.jpg
Walks384_R.jpg

Shrine at Umagaeshi
Walks390_R.jpg
Walks391_R.jpg

Beautiful sky on the way home.
Walks398_R.jpg

Other than that I've just been doing my regular walks in my neighborhood and yoga practice. I did a lot of arm balances and upper body strength building poses today. I figure my legs get enough work as it is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A few pics. Big shrine at the bottom.
Really great pics, Norachan Norachan . Your hiking trails are so scenic. And those trees are amazing! Any idea how old they are?

I think I've gone on one walk since I last posted, as it's been so rainy! ☔

I am prepared for walking outside during the winter though, as I bought pair of Columbia winter boots. 🥾
The Amazon description calls them "urban hikers", so should be perfect for me. :)

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan What gorgeous pics, I especially love the sunset. WOW!😲 Stay safe on your hikes with those bears out there. Thanks for sharing.
M maggiedemi I don't remember seeing bear signs in my travels through the US, but I did come by a sign warning everyone that there were sightings of Big Foot in the area and the sign was put up to warn everyone. This was at the foot of Pike's Peak in Colorado Springs, CO. Here is the sign--this wasn't a joke. How thoughtful, but it would be nice to put up signs warning about bears. Sorry to say, I had no sighting of Big Foot. However I was in Rocky Mountain National Park walking through it taking pics of a group of Elk (there were a few babies in the group, so we kept a respectable distance). They seemed okay with our presence, but at sometime the birds in the area went quiet and there was breaking of branches on the other side of the Elk. They quickly looked in that direction and ran away. I ran away with my friend towards the opening of the Forest. We were freaked out. Could that been the Big guy-maybe, but it is more possible that it was a Cougar or a Bear. We should of got a tour guide and been in a group, but we were young and foolish. Here is the sign I saw at Pikes Peak.
5d5d54b93290b.image.jpg

rubysmama rubysmama Good for you for planning to get your walks in. I have been slacking with my walks because of coldness, but this will work well when I am back on my diet in January. You natural burn more calories in the winter when walking. I have been good with my Ab, Upper, Lower body and HIIT. So at least I am not totally goofing off.

Well, have a good week everyone. I will try checking in here more.🙂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First post in this thread for December!

I've been kind of busy recently, but things are starting to get back to normal again now. I haven't been able to go out on any long hikes for a while. (As some of you might know, I had a sick cat to nurse and didn't want to leave her alone for too long.)

I had a couple of long walks on Friday and Sunday. Two hours through the woods and then 45 minutes of deep stretch yoga after that. 90 minutes of yoga and this morning. Looks like the rain is clearing up, so I'll head out for a walk soon.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose I love that Big Foot sign! Is it me, or does Big Foot have an Elvis style quiff?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
When I was out for my walk on Tuesday I came across a big pile of empty paint tins and spray cans that someone had dumped in the woods. I really can't understand why anyone would do that. Apart from the fact that it's terrible for the environment, they would have had to drive miles up a road that doesn't really go anywhere, there turn onto an unpaved logging road and go about half a mile down that to get to the place where they dumped them. Surely it would have been much less trouble to dispose of them properly?

:dunno:

Anyway, I didn't want to leave them there so I went back the next day with some rubbish bags and picked them all up. So, 90 minutes walk on Tuesday, 90 minutes walk on Wednesday (half of it hauling two big plastic sacks) and 45 minutes yoga on Wednesday and today too.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
When I was out for my walk on Tuesday I came across a big pile of empty paint tins and spray cans that someone had dumped in the woods. I really can't understand why anyone would do that. Apart from the fact that it's terrible for the environment, they would have had to drive miles up a road that doesn't really go anywhere, there turn onto an unpaved logging road and go about half a mile down that to get to the place where they dumped them. Surely it would have been much less trouble to dispose of them properly?

:dunno:

Anyway, I didn't want to leave them there so I went back the next day with some rubbish bags and picked them all up. So, 90 minutes walk on Tuesday, 90 minutes walk on Wednesday (half of it hauling two big plastic sacks) and 45 minutes yoga on Wednesday and today too.
Well, it look like you got some extra walk time in thanks to that litterbug who dumped the empty paint tins/sprayers. Thank you for caring and doing the right thing. People can be very lazy and uncaring. Shame on them!

I did my upper and lower body routine. I did up my weights to 10 pounds on some exercises. I am going to keep focused because next month I am going on my diet and going back on my Intermittent Fasting with HIIT program. I want to hit my goal weight by some time in the Spring. 🙂

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was a surprise! I finally took my 2 hour walk indoors today, after sitting around depressed for 6 months. I don't know what made me do it, but it's great to be back on track. I swung my arms this time, to keep my heart rate up. My walks seem to be the key to getting well, so let's see if I can get well again by springtime.

My music player didn't work, so I turned on the radio. It must have lost its charge sitting there for 6 months?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was a surprise! I finally took my 2 hour walk indoors today, after sitting around depressed for 6 months. I don't know what made me do it, but it's great to be back on track. I swung my arms this time, to keep my heart rate up. My walks seem to be the key to getting well, so let's see if I can get well again by springtime.

My music player didn't work, so I turned on the radio. It must have lost its charge sitting there for 6 months?
Good for you. Your music player either has rechargeable batteries or regular batteries. Both will eventually go dead over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.