The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't remember the last time I went for a walk. Either we have nice weather, and I either putter in the garden, or sit on the deck. Or it's cold and wet, and I stay inside. Maybe once May gets here I can start regular walking again.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose : about losing weight, I've never had to lose a significant amount, but for a long time wanted to "lose 5-ish pounds", so have read a lot about dieting and nutrition.

I know opinions differ, even among "experts", but I believe skipping meals is a deterrent to weight loss, and that eating 3, reasonably healthy, meals a day is the best approach to take. Skipping meals, imo, just leads to becoming so hungry that you overeat when it's finally meal time. I also try to not snack after 7 pm, so that I have a long stretch of "fasting" between my last meal of the day and "breaking the fast", aka breakfast.

You definitely have to watch for "sneaky calories" that hide in things like pasta sauces, mayonnaise, etc. Also, try not to "drink your calories". Healthy drinks like orange juice and smoothies have a lot of sugar. As, of course, does pop.

Eating out, whether sit down restaurants, or fast food, will have a lot more calories than home cooking. One reason is they have to make the food taste good, so they add lots of sugar and fat. Plus, generally servings are much larger than a home cooked meal would be.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've read that it takes 15 to 20 minutes for your brain to recognize that your stomach is full. So eating too quickly, doesn't give your brain time to register that fact and let you feel full. So, if you're a fast eater (I'm not) try to eat slower. Smaller amounts on your fork or spoon, or smaller bites from a sandwich or pizza. Even try putting the fork down between bites. Also pay attention so that you recognize when your stomach is full.

And remember it's ok to not finish everything on your plate. That especially applies if you grew up with parents who told you to clean off your plate "because there's starving children in Africa". I used to have a friend who struggled with her weight, and when we'd eat out, I'd push my plate away when there was still food on it, however, she'd keep eating, even though she was full, just because that voice was in her head saying to "clean your plate".

And speaking of plates, using smaller sizes plates can help control portion size, as the same amount of food will look like more on a small plate, compared to a large one.
Smaller Plate for Weight Loss| Right Path Fitness Copy.

Also keep in mind that once you start exercising a lot, you may not see a difference on the scale, however, you may find your clothes getting looser. That's because muscle weighs more than fat.
Muscle Doesn't Exactly Weigh More Than Fat, But the Tissue Is More Dense.

Also, remember that stress can have an effect on your entire body, including weight. So hopefully things like yoga and exercise will help you destress a bit, which will make a difference with how your body hangs onto excess weight.

And, hey, maybe try adding some vegetarian meals to your routine, keeping in mind not all vegetarian foods are healthy. But staples like beans and rice usually are.

There's ton of websites with weight loss tips. Here's one that looking at it quickly, seems pretty good.

How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science

Good luck.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Five months of using my rowing machine has provided really helped me improve my arm and leg strength. When I mow my lawn, which takes about an hour, I used to need a break about half way through but I mowed for the first time this week and did the whole thing without feeling tired. And this morning after a half hour of rowing I did yard work, raking and bagging leaves for another hour and again, didn’t feel that tired when I was done. Love my rower.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, portion control is key! I know what to order when I eat out by eyeballing it. If I ever eat out with huge portions, then I will ask for an empty plate to portion out the right amount. One dinner plate full, or one sandwich/half a sub, or 2 slices of pizza, or one cereal bowl full, or one bagel or 2 slices toast with piece of fruit. That's how I do it. I prefer 2 meals a day. I'm not really active enough for 3 meals per day, but I might try breakfast again if I start working again.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't remember the last time I went for a walk. Either we have nice weather, and I either putter in the garden, or sit on the deck. Or it's cold and wet, and I stay inside. Maybe once May gets here I can start regular walking again.

Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose : about losing weight, I've never had to lose a significant amount, but for a long time wanted to "lose 5-ish pounds", so have read a lot about dieting and nutrition.

I know opinions differ, even among "experts", but I believe skipping meals is a deterrent to weight loss, and that eating 3, reasonably healthy, meals a day is the best approach to take. Skipping meals, imo, just leads to becoming so hungry that you overeat when it's finally meal time. I also try to not snack after 7 pm, so that I have a long stretch of "fasting" between my last meal of the day and "breaking the fast", aka breakfast.

You definitely have to watch for "sneaky calories" that hide in things like pasta sauces, mayonnaise, etc. Also, try not to "drink your calories". Healthy drinks like orange juice and smoothies have a lot of sugar. As, of course, does pop.

Eating out, whether sit down restaurants, or fast food, will have a lot more calories than home cooking. One reason is they have to make the food taste good, so they add lots of sugar and fat. Plus, generally servings are much larger than a home cooked meal would be.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I've read that it takes 15 to 20 minutes for your brain to recognize that your stomach is full. So eating too quickly, doesn't give your brain time to register that fact and let you feel full. So, if you're a fast eater (I'm not) try to eat slower. Smaller amounts on your fork or spoon, or smaller bites from a sandwich or pizza. Even try putting the fork down between bites. Also pay attention so that you recognize when your stomach is full.

And remember it's ok to not finish everything on your plate. That especially applies if you grew up with parents who told you to clean off your plate "because there's starving children in Africa". I used to have a friend who struggled with her weight, and when we'd eat out, I'd push my plate away when there was still food on it, however, she'd keep eating, even though she was full, just because that voice was in her head saying to "clean your plate".

And speaking of plates, using smaller sizes plates can help control portion size, as the same amount of food will look like more on a small plate, compared to a large one.
Smaller Plate for Weight Loss| Right Path Fitness Copy.

Also keep in mind that once you start exercising a lot, you may not see a difference on the scale, however, you may find your clothes getting looser. That's because muscle weighs more than fat.
Muscle Doesn't Exactly Weigh More Than Fat, But the Tissue Is More Dense.

Also, remember that stress can have an effect on your entire body, including weight. So hopefully things like yoga and exercise will help you destress a bit, which will make a difference with how your body hangs onto excess weight.

And, hey, maybe try adding some vegetarian meals to your routine, keeping in mind not all vegetarian foods are healthy. But staples like beans and rice usually are.

There's ton of websites with weight loss tips. Here's one that looking at it quickly, seems pretty good.

How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science

Good luck.
rubysmama rubysmama Thank you for all your advice and those helpful links. Lack of motivation use to be my biggest problem, but now it is stress from dealing with difficult people and stressful situation and emotional eating. I am never really that hungry, but I eat junk food for comfort and developed an addiction years ago. All yesterday and today, I have been taking a ton of grief over the outdoor cats I feed from a relative. This person loves to garden and doesn't want me to feed the cats anywhere close to the house. I cannot comply with this because the neighbors will then give me grief if I move the feeding location. It is like walking a tightrope, very aggravating. And that is just one problem.

I want to have the best hope for this diet and weight loss, but I have a lot on my plate. However with that said health must come first. Heart disease runs strong on my father's side of the family. My dad died from End of Life Chronic Heart Failure some years ago. I watched him go down a rough road of being in and out of the hospital, have quadruple bypass surgery, and have to live off of tons of pills. Honestly, I don't want to go through that.

I am sticking this out this time. It's been over a month and I do my strength training and Ab work religiously (3x's a week each and HIIT is on Ab days so that's 3x a week too.) I do walks 6x's a week at least 40-45 minutes. My muscle tone has improved and strength has improved to. I plan on eventually doing Intermittent Fasting (get up earlier and do exercise on empty stomach, than eat the time I normally do) I hear this really helps with increasing your metabolism. I did it a some years back and the weight came off pretty easy. I am older now, so I am worried over a slow metabolism. I also put weight on in the stomach in the last few years and I am concerned over insulin resistance.

:thanks:Well, thank you for your advice. I got to get this diet started soon. Just trying to get my focus. OH boy, do I need all the help I can get. I just need to work out all the details.🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I use to go to a gym and use the rower. That is great for overall for toning and strengthening. Thanks for sharing.
M maggiedemi thanks for the tip on portion control. I have to say that here in the USA the portions are out of control most everywhere you eat out. People have no clue what normal proportions are. I need to find my food scale and measuring cup and start using it again. Thanks once again.🙂

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I use to go to a gym and use the rower. That is great for overall for toning and strengthening. Thanks for sharing.
M maggiedemi thanks for the tip on portion control. I have to say that here in the USA the portions are out of control most everywhere you eat out. People have no clue what normal proportions are. I need to find my food scale and measuring cup and start using it again. Thanks once again.🙂
Thanks. For four years pre COVID I went to the gym every other day, using the elliptical and then weight machines. I really really missed it when quarantine started. Now that I have the rower I don’t know if I will go back to the gym. It’s just really nice to not have to go out to exercise.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. For four years pre COVID I went to the gym every other day, using the elliptical and then weight machines. I really really missed it when quarantine started. Now that I have the rower I don’t know if I will go back to the gym. It’s just really nice to not have to go out to exercise.
It is good that you are dedicated and use it regularly. I had a threadmill and a Nordic Ski trainer that ended up becoming an expensive coat hanger. 🤦‍♀️ SMH What a waste.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Thank you for all your advice and those helpful links.
Glad to help. Even though I'm not currently trying to lose weight, though those stubborn 5 pounds may now be more like 8 or 9, I love discussing food, nutrition, weight loss, etc.

I was going to suggest you post in the weight loss thread, but see you already did. That thread is generally less active than this one, but if you want to post there again with any of your weight loss questions, just tag me, and I'll jump in with any thoughts / suggestions / advice I can think of.

As for this thread's topic, still haven't gone for a walk. But it's sunny today, and supposed to go to 15C / 60F, so I really have no excuse to not get out there. Just need the motivation.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to help. Even though I'm not currently trying to lose weight, though those stubborn 5 pounds may now be more like 8 or 9, I love discussing food, nutrition, weight loss, etc.

I was going to suggest you post in the weight loss thread, but see you already did. That thread is generally less active than this one, but if you want to post there again with any of your weight loss questions, just tag me, and I'll jump in with any thoughts / suggestions / advice I can think of.

As for this thread's topic, still haven't gone for a walk. But it's sunny today, and supposed to go to 15C / 60F, so I really have no excuse to not get out there. Just need the motivation.
Thanks. I will tag you if I post in the other thread. I was having a struggle with motivation today too. I listen to upbeat music and then go into my exercises for the day. Music really helps set the mood. Also I keep telling myself consistency is the Key to successful weightloss. I have one day off a week where I just walk. I will only take another day off if I am pretty sick or have a injury that I need to rest up, otherwise I just keep going on. I think my problem will lie with dieting. I am an emotional eater and I am addicted to junk food. If I can get into this diet and stick it out, then the pounds should be slidding right off of me.

They say it takes 30 days to start a new habit and 90 days to have it established in your life. I will keep this in mind, and ofcourse taking it one day at a time. 🙂

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We finally got some sunshine!

I've been doing long walks and yoga every day. This morning I got up early and did a lovely, gentle 90 minute yoga practice. I was going to go for a walk, but it's the Golden Week holiday here in Japan and there are too many people around. I spent the afternoon pottering around the garden instead.

:cloud9:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
Today was my Arms and Lower Body strength training. I upped my weights to 13 pounds on shoulder exercises. I want more muscle definition, so I am going to up my weights gradually, so I don't over do it. I feel everything tightening up, so when the weight drops, if it every does, the results will be maximized. Tomorrow is HIIT and Ab work. I have no problem with exercising, it's the diet that I definitely be struggling with. I will keep pushing through no matter what.:hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.