The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is an old myth. Women don’t developer the muscle mass that men do. Do some reading about that online.
In 4 months of weights I barely changed the resistance. I definitely saw more definition but I’m looking back realizing how I saw more fat loss too. It seemed to drop once a month. I have one friend whose very into HIIT and she posts some workouts. If she lived closer I’d get her opinion and have her help me figure out some workouts.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minutes of yoga and 90 minutes walk yesterday. That may have been a tad too much....

90 minutes yoga today. I've been doing lots of arm balance prep. After that I walked for about 45 minutes.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles keep lifting the weights if it makes you feel good! You'd have to do a serious amount of weight lifting to end up looking like a body builder. A moderate amount will keep the muscles you have strong without putting on too much extra muscle.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think she believes it’ll build too much muscle? I’m not looking to become a body builder. :lol:
I don't know much about muscle building, but a woman I know used to work on the 16th floor of an office building, and would climb the 16 flights of stairs a couple times a day. She eventually stopped, as she said her thighs were getting too big.

Went for a shorter walk yesterday, as I was overdressed and got too hot. Our daytime temps are getting warmer now, (like 40's F)
so with the sun, it doesn't feel cold. So have to decide what to wear today, so I don't overheat.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She eventually stopped, as she said her thighs were getting too big.
Gah! I hope that doesn't happen to me. I'm trying to tone up my thighs & booty. I hope it doesn't do the opposite & make it bigger. 😲
Still doing same routine, but I changed the time. Now I do my 1 hour booty exercises at 7am so I can take my shower earlier. I don't go on Facebook in the morning anymore and I don't drink my coffee until 10am now.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Muscle is much denser than fat and takes up far less room, so if you build muscle you're probably going to be smaller, but more defined.

Plus a higher muscle to body fat ratio increases your metabolism, so you burn calories faster.

90 minute walk and one hour of yoga yesterday. Today I've been really busy, so only managed 30 minutes of yoga between lessons. Did a core work-out style yoga routine, which was pretty tiring.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The physical therapist I saw for plantar fasciitis pain had me doing squats as part of my exercises. It had lost a lot of my range if motion in my feet but he said you need to strengthen everything from the lower back down. I actually enjoyed the exercises they had me doing there. I wish they could have taught me a total body workout. :lol2:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Did it! Went out for my every other day attempted walk and made it my full route from last summer without my feet killing me!
Good for you!
Does anybody else on here do squats?
I do a yoga pose called Utkatasana. It's really good for firming up your thighs and butt and helps reduce lower back pain.

1615774865674.png

The idea is to hold it for a couple of deep breaths, rather that repeat squats. Got to tilt your pelvis up, curl your tailbone under and try not to arch your back. You can do it with your hands at your heart in prayer position if holding them above your head hurts your back.

No walks for a few days. Friday I did 20 minutes shoveling snow :bawling2: then an hour of yoga.

Saturday and Sunday were both two 45 minute yoga practices. Hoping to get out for a walk today.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swinging my arms while walking seems to give me a better workout. But how can I swing my arms when I'm carrying a parasol this summer? 🤔 Maybe alternate arms? One holds the parasol while the other swings, then switch? Any other ideas?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does lifting multiple 400+lb people multiple times a day count as exercise?
Yes it does. My husband is a climber/boulderer and one of the women he sometimes climbs with is incredibly strong. She's in her mid fifties, less than 5 ft tall and probably weighs 100lbs tops, but she can out climb any of the guys in their climbing group. She works in an old people's home, lifting elderly patients in and out of bed all day. That seems to build more muscle than going to the gym does.

Any other ideas?
Big hat and lots of sun block? I walk in a baseball cap, sun glasses and factor 50 in the summer.

I've had a pretty good week. 90 minutes walk and 45 minutes yoga on Monday. 90 minutes yoga Tuesday and Wednesday. 1 hour walk and 1 hour of yoga Thursday. Today was 90 minutes horse riding and 40 minutes deep stretch yoga. The ponies were full of the joys of spring. We had some nice long canters through the woods.

I've been doing some of Leigha Butler's yoga classes recently.

https://www.youtube.com/user/butlerl2

She's ridiculously strong, I really struggle to keep up with her, but I think I'm seeing some benefits from more challenging classes. I've been trying to go from Crow Pose to Headstand and back again for a few years now. I can do the first part, Crow to Headstand, but I can't get back from Headstand into Crow.

1616148586820.png

This week I managed to do it! It wasn't the prettiest Crow Pose I've ever done and I only held it for a moment before rocking back onto my feet, but yay! I got my head off the ground! I'm sure it's all the arm balance prep classes I've been doing this week that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.