The Exercise Motivation Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I went for a 31 minute walk yesterday. No walk today, but I got upper body exercise, as I attacked the snow banks at the end of the driveway, hoping to get them to melt more quickly. So ready for spring. 🌷

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a rather mild winter here. I mean, it got below zero and we basically got snowed in, but the power didn't even go out once, which is a huge plus in my book.

Just my usual 2 hour walk and 1 hour workout. I added some new booty swing exercises to work my tailbone. It is really helping my sore leg. I'm thinking maybe I had a tailbone injury from laying around in my hospital bed for 2 weeks last year. If you swing your tailbone area, you can kinda feel it over in your right leg. Must be some connection there.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, me too! I can't wait to get started on my garden!
New house means I get to build a raised garden from scratch! I'll try to remember and take pictures as I build it.

Wait...am I supposed to be excited about the garden, or building the raised beds? I might be doing that wrong. 🤔

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'll try to remember and take pictures as I build it.
Yes, please do! I love a good out-door project, I'd love to see pictures of what you are doing.

We re-built our deck last year, it was great fun.

Lock Down Project

Did a quick 30 minute Vinyassa flow this morning. Heading out for a walk now.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same as always. 2 hour walk and 1 hour exercises. I switched up the exercises though. I only do the booty exercises now. I don't do the arm and leg stretches anymore. I didn't see any results from them, so I'm just concentrating on firming booty and upper thighs.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nothing at all to report from me on the exercise front.
Never mind, it will be spring soon. That's always good motivation.
I'm just concentrating on firming booty and upper thighs.
That's a problem area for me too.
Hoping to get some more exercise in the next few days.
That's good.

I've had a bit of a hectic day. Tomorrow is my day off and I really don't want to have to do any work, so I've been trying to get all of this week's work finished and all of Saturday's work planned today.

I managed two 30 minute yoga sessions and an hour walk in my breaks though.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went on a walk for about an hour today around the neighborhood. A street a few streets away from mine had a nice little walking alley, so I went there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Went for a just over 30 minute walk. First one in a bit. Stopped to see the ducks. Bit of ice still on the lake, but definitely not safe for skating.

DSC_7602.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Question for those who use weights:

How often do you use them?

A few years ago I was using the Bowflex 2-3 times a week. I kept the weights low; no more than 15lb for everything but legs (I think I was at 35lb with that). I used one of their beginner recommended routines. And I was also getting about 3 miles on the elliptical 4-5 days a week at that time. After that I mostly stuck consistent with the elliptical; thinking cardio was more important; but I lost the most weight when I was also using the Bowflex. I enjoy that a lot more too. But I was told by a friend not to do the weights too much. I’m now looking back and wondering if that was sound advice. It’s tempting to consult with a personal trainer.:sigh:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks like a nice lake rubysmama rubysmama I love ducks!

I did an hour of yoga on Friday, an hour of yoga and an hour walk on Saturday, 90 minutes yoga yesterday.

My regular Zoom yoga class isn't happening at the moment, so I've been flirting with different yoga teachers on YouTube. I've tried a couple of asana I haven't done before and I've set my heart on getting into Ganda Bherundasana , a scorpion chin stand. this year.

1615181844141.png

I'm still at the preliminary poses stage, so it's going to take me a while....

90 minutes of yoga so far today. It's raining a bit, but I think I'll go out for a walk soon anyway.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never used weights, except very occasionally dumbbells.

But I was told by a friend not to do the weights too much. I’m now looking back and wondering if that was sound advice. It’s tempting to consult with a personal trainer.:sigh:
Probably not a bad idea to consult with a personal trainer. Just to get an idea of what is the best routine for your personal goals.

That looks like a nice lake rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama I love ducks!
It's a nice lake, and seeing the ducks is motivation to get me out walking. Another warm-ish day forecast for today, so will try to get out for a walk at some point before sunset.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not a bad idea to consult with a personal trainer. Just to get an idea of what is the best routine for your personal goals.
I found PT very helpful in that regard. I think what I might do is just try to track it a bit and see what gives me the best results. Hopefully in a few months it'll be easier to find someone to talk to and I'll have a better idea whats working. Then I can find someone. The brother of a friend from high school has a gym; but I'm WAAAY too intimidated to ask him. They are some of the most polite guys you'll ever meet; but they all look something like the Hulk. :lol2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have warmed up to the 40’s so I have been out for my first walks since late last fall and the results were not good. When I started walking last year during quarantine I had one arthritic foot that made walking difficult. It was weeks before it started feeling better but by end of summer I could walk a couple miles without issue. but unfortunately I am back to square one. I could barely walk a half mile and getting out of bed the following morning was really painful. So it looks like I either need to give up walking and just stick with the rower or rotate both and go through the process of getting my foot used to the walking. Not sure. The rower gives me enough exercise but being able to walk longer distances feels important too. For now bummed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise

How often do you use them?

A few years ago I was using the Bowflex 2-3 times a week. I kept the weights low; no more than 15lb for everything but legs (I think I was at 35lb with that). I used one of their beginner recommended routines. And I was also getting about 3 miles on the elliptical 4-5 days a week at that time. After that I mostly stuck consistent with the elliptical; thinking cardio was more important; but I lost the most weight when I was also using the Bowflex. I enjoy that a lot more too. But I was told by a friend not to do the weights too much. I’m now looking back and wondering if that was sound advice. It’s tempting to consult with a personal trainer.:sigh:
In my opinion wrong with doing weights if you enjoy it. Weights build muscle and muscle burns more calories so unless you have a Prior injury from lifting go for it. I would at least ask your friend why she believes you shouldn’t.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my opinion wrong with doing weights if you enjoy it. Weights build muscle and muscle burns more calories so unless you have a Prior injury from lifting go for it. I would at least ask your friend why she believes you shouldn’t.
I think she believes it’ll build too much muscle? I’m not looking to become a body builder. :lol: But I did feel good when I was doing that workout. That should say something right?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she believes it’ll build too much muscle? I’m not looking to become a body builder. :lol: But I did feel good when I was doing that workout. That should say something right?
That is an old myth. Women don’t develop the muscle mass that men do. Do some reading about that online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.