The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How did she get back in the house? Did she have a key?
No, all she had to do was climb back over the enclosure fence and come in through the cat door. The fence is cat proof from the inside, but easy for them to scale from the outside.

We have to have a cat door so they can get in and out of the house to their enclosure whenever they want. Otherwise I'd never get a moments peace.

:runaround::dizzycat: :runaround::runningcat::runaround::climbcat::runaround:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But when I was signing for a parcel
They still make you sign for parcels? That stopped here once the pandemic arrived. Now it's ring the bell, or tap on the door, and run. :running:

So at least she's home, even if I didn't get the nice walk I'd hoped for.
Glad she's back home. Hopefully you'll get a walk in today.

All those sugary desserts went straight there! I wish the fat would go to my face!
Yeah, fat does have a way of going to the areas where we don't need it. :sigh:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gained 8 pounds eating all that dessert! My doctor will be happy, but my jeans feel a bit tight. I wonder if all that weight will stay on? Cause I don't plan on eating that much sugar anymore!

I'll be back to taking my 2 hour walk inside again today. I didn't take my walk for like 3 days! Just ate dessert and sat around. :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They still make you sign for parcels? That stopped here once the pandemic arrived. Now it's ring the bell, or tap on the door, and run.
Yes, I'm kind of surprised they're still doing that. I'm using my own pen, just in case......
I wonder if all that weight will stay on? Cause I don't plan on eating that much sugar anymore!
Try eating extra protein, things like cheese, peanut butter etc. This helps you put on muscle rather than fat. Muscle is more compact, so you'll see the weight gain without the extra inches. You have a 20 minute window after exercising where your body is looking for protein to convert into muscle, so having something right after your walk would work the best.

You can get those protein shakes, which work pretty well. Mr Husband has one every evening after he finishes his workout.

I had a better day on Friday. 45 minutes of Vinyassa yoga, a one hour walk and then 45 minutes of Yin yoga. Saturday was busy, but I had time for an hour of yoga.

It's pretty cold this afternoon, so I'm going to wrap up in extra layers and head out for my walk soon.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't done so well with walking the last few days, but did get out a couple times earlier in the week. And one day last week, I even did an inside walk. But I still find walking boring. I much prefer to actually do something to get my exercise, like gardening, mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, etc.

Yes, I'm kind of surprised they're still doing that. I'm using my own pen, just in case......
Oh, that reminds me, I went to the mall to pick up one thing at one store that was going to cost double the price to ship. They had a scratch & save coupon, which the cashier was scratching. So that was good, I saved a little. But, he was making every customer sign the back of the coupon, using the same pen! I was there just after opening, so not too many people would have touched that pen with their germy hands at that point, but just imagine by the end of the day! :eek: I used hand sanitizer as I left the store, then before I got in my car, and then scrubbed my hands once I got home. No wonder I prefer online shopping these days.

You have a 20 minute window after exercising where your body is looking for protein to convert into muscle, so having something right after your walk would work the best.
Interesting. I've read tons on nutrition over the years, but never saw that before.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Muscle is more compact, so you'll see the weight gain without the extra inches.
Yes! That's what I want muscle instead of fat, but I can't seem to make it happen. I'm going to add back an hour of stretching exercises and no more dessert!

one day last week, I even did a inside walk. But I still find walking boring. I much prefer to actually do something to get my exercise, like gardening, mowing the lawn, cleaning the house, etc.
Yay for walking inside! Yeah, I would like to do projects like that around the house, but can't because you-know-who won't let us touch anything. But maybe someday.

I used hand sanitizer as I left the store, then before I got in my car, and then scrubbed my hands once I got home.
I saw that they had hand sanitizer set out at JCPenney, but I wash my hands so much, I didn't figure I needed it. I wash my hands before and after I do anything.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting. I've read tons on nutrition over the years, but never saw that before.
I got that from the side of a can of protein shake powder, so it might not be true. All the guys I know who work out swear by it though.

Let me try and upload a video of our horse ride from a few weeks ago.....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The doctors offices here have had a cup for clean pens and one for used that they clean every day. Another place I saw them wiping down between customers. Walmart is still signing for you at grocery pickup. I’ve only had one signature required package and I didn’t sign for it myself. Normally I sign off on other services (pest control, inspections, etc) but they all just skipped it. We are long time customers.
You have a 20 minute window after exercising where your body is looking for protein to convert into muscle, so having something right after your walk would work the best.
I’ve never heard that either. DS has finally put on some weight. We’ve focused on protein bars and things for him at snack time. Maybe sending him to ride his bike or just do something aerobic before snacks would help too.
Yes! That's what I want muscle instead of fat, but I can't seem to make it happen. I'm going to add back an hour of stretching exercises and no more dessert!
How about some light weight exercises? You can get 1-5 pound dumbells for pretty cheap. They cost more as the weight goes up. I find weight and resistance training helps with fat loss more than cardio. My Dad struggled to gain weight as a young man (where DS gets it from) and used weight training to gain healthy weight.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did half an hour of leg lifts, stretches, and Shakira hip shaking dance moves. Better than nothing! I just couldn't do a full hour.
I should do it in the morning, so I don't get all sweaty before bed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a good day on Monday. 90 minutes of yoga and a 60 minute walk and no cats attempted to escape.

I started with a nice, relaxing yoga session this morning, had to go into town to run a few errands, then another 40 minutes of yoga when I got home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Has everyone had a good week?

It's been getting down below zero at night here, so I've had a couple of bracingly cold walks. I think I need a new pair of winter hiking boots. I have a newish pair that are good for the summer, but they won't cope with the snow and ice. I've walked holes into my old winter boots.

90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Wednesday. Two 40 minute yoga sessions and an hour walk on Thursday. Lots of cleaning and running more errands on Friday, then 45 minutes of yoga. An hour walk and an hour of yoga yesterday.

I saw a hakubishin while I was out on my walk yesterday.

(Not my pic)
1607225430302.png

They usually only come out at night, so their eyesight is really bad. I stood completely still and he walked towards me, then stopped and started sniffing the air when he was about 3 meters away. He then decided to change direction and walked into the woods. Pity I didn't have a camera with me. I've never seen one up so close before.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my usual 2 hour walk indoors. I added a half hour workout of leg lifts, stretches, and booty shaking.
Funny, I seem to be getting more butt/thigh firming results from the half hour than I did when I was doing an hour workout earlier this year. Probably because the hour was too much and half the time I would take breaks, stand around, pet Demi, daydream...
The half hour is much more targeted. :thumbsup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has everyone had a good week?
Only one walk, but it was near a lake. There was even wildlife. 🦆

1607274798458.png

It's been getting down below zero at night here, so I've had a couple of bracingly cold walks.
That changed quickly, as hadn't you recently posted how unseasonable warm it had been. We've had roller coaster like temps, snow and below zero one day a few weeks back, then record breaking highs a few days later. And now still above normal temps. But not complaining.

I think I need a new pair of winter hiking boots.
I do too. But I need to try them on in person, and not thrilled about the idea of going to stores.

I saw a hakubishin while I was out on my walk yesterday.

(Not my pic)
1607225430302.png
Oh, cute. Like a cross between a cat and a raccoon.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do too. But I need to try them on in person, and not thrilled about the idea of going to stores.
That's why I didn't buy any socks or shoes this year. I don't know my new size! How would you measure your foot anyway? Print out a chart? Put your foot on the computer screen? :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why I didn't buy any socks or shoes this year. I don't know my new size! How would you measure your foot anyway? Print out a chart? Put your foot on the computer screen? :lol:
Socks aren't too hard to buy online, as the sizes generally are one size. For me, boots would be impossible to buy online with my hard to fit feet. But apparently drawing your foot outline on a piece of paper is a way to determine the size you'd need.

1607264424247.png

Status
Not open for further replies.