The Exercise Motivation Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Lots of long walks in our freakishly warm November this week. I go out in a thin fleece, but after half an hour or so I'm OK just in a t-shirt. I've been doing 45 minute Vinyassa flows, 60 or 90 minute walks and then 45 minutes of yin yoga after the walk. It's working pretty well, but I'll probably start doing longer flows with more challenging asana when the weather gets colder. If fit ever gets colder...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of long walks in our freakishly warm November this week. I go out in a thin fleece, but after half an hour or so I'm OK just in a t-shirt.
Must be nice. I'm freezing. I bought a few warm fleece sweatshirts, but I only wore them once and haven't seen them since. My mother said they are "too hard to wash." Whatever that means. She's nuts. 🙄

Just my usual 2 hour walk inside. Nothing exciting. Dad is making me a new Shania Twain playlist today. Maybe that will be exciting.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Must be nice
Well, I guess I'm saving money on the heating bills, but it is a little worrying. It's really humid and windy here today, like a typhoon is coming. We're not supposed to get typhoons in November.

I like the proper winter with all the snow and ice and pretty scenery.

...honestly, I think the lawn is trying to start growing again
Some of the plants I have out on the deck are still flowering! It's just crazy.

It was my day off today, but I had loads of chores to do so didn't have time for a long walk. Two 45 minute Vinyassa practices instead.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night's walk was better than the day before as it wasn't nearly as cold outside. Cold but I wasn't miserable like Wednesday. Plus on Wednesday, there was a screeching owl in a tree where we were walking and it sounded very scary in the pitch dark. Hisband wanted to go into the woods to investigate. He went alone. :lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sounded very scary in the pitch dark. Husband wanted to go into the woods to investigate. He went alone.
Oh heck no! I'm afraid of the dark. Actually, I'm afraid of the woods in the daylight too. Coyotes & bears in there. 🐻

Just my 2 hour walk indoors. I like being able to walk by & pet the kitties as I go in and out of the rooms. 😻

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I never lost any weight until I went vegetarian last year. Then the weight just flew off! Went from 180 pounds to underweight. It's weird though, I still have flab on my butt and thighs. Wish I could tighten that up somehow, it looks terrible. Any ideas?

Just taking my usual 2 hour walk indoors every day. Doubt I'll go back outside until April. I'm hibernating.
Stairs do a well at helping to firm thighs and butts. If you have a stairs in your house or outside you can go up and down them in place of part of your walk.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Rowing in the basement this morning, listening to a Stephen King novel. I am still getting up to speed and distance on the rowing machine, 25 minutes today with my goal being 40. But it feel like about the right level of a workout so that I feel good instead of exhausted afterwards. And exercise in the warm basement vs the outdoors does feel like a luxury.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stairs do a well at helping to firm thighs and butts.
Thanks. We do have a set of stairs going down to the cellar!

Rowing in the basement this morning, listening to a Stephen King novel.
Now that you mention it, I think we might have a similar exercise machine down cellar. It is the one where it almost looks like you are skiiing, the way your legs swing forward and back. I don't know what it's called.

Just my 2 hour walk indoors today. I should try listening to an audio book!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. We do have a set of stairs going down to the cellar!

Now that you mention it, I think we might have a similar exercise machine down cellar. It is the one where it almost looks like you are skiiing, the way your legs swing forward and back. I don't know what it's called.

Just my 2 hour walk indoors today. I should try listening to an audio book!
You probably have the original Nordic Trak skier in your basement, which is good exercise. A rower is a sit down machine so a little different. As far as audiobooks you probably can download them for free from your library and they really do make the time pass quickly.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He picked the latter because he is too much of a mosier.
Ha! Not sure what a mosier is, but it sounds like me. I don't like to walk fast, because I don't like to sweat. :lol:
My brother's like- You gotta get your heart rate up! No way, I hate getting all sweaty.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I like to "power walk". I don't feel like I've exercised enough if I don't break a bit of a sweat.

I've done a couple of long, 90 minute walks over the weekend and yoga every day. I also started raking up the leaves in the top part of the enclosure. There still a lot of dead wood to clear too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't like to sweat, but I also just automatically walk quickly, so unless I dress exactly right for the temperature, I'll break a sweat. But I can always take a shower when I get back.

Not sure if I'll get out today or not, as it's gotten chilly again, but I did walk the last 2 days. Just my usually 27-ish minute walk, but again, I think it's a decent workout, as I move at a good pace.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
90 minutes of yoga and a 90 minute walk on Wednesday.

I worked most of today, 9 am to 11 pm, but I had a few free hours in the afternoon. I planned to go for another long walk, then do a nice deep stretch yoga practice. But when I was signing for a parcel this morning Twinkle managed to dash out of the door. Last time she got out she was gone for about a month.

So I spent two hours following her around going "No sweetie, don't run away. Come here to Mummy darling, there's a good girl." It was impossible to catch her. She kept scampering down these little trails between the trees while I followed after her, crashing through the bushes like Godzilla, getting poked in the face with twigs.

Eventually I had to give up and start on my afternoon classes. When I had another break around five I wandered around to look for her again. After I got home I noticed she was a sleep on the sofa with a big pile of the other cats.

So at least she's home, even if I didn't get the nice walk I'd hoped for.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After I got home I noticed she was a sleep on the sofa with a big pile of the other cats.
How did she get back in the house? Did she have a key? :headscratch:
That's why I wish houses all had a little entryway before the main front door, so cats couldn't escape. We have a breezeway, but the cats have still escaped a couple times, when somebody left the garage door open.

I'm not taking my walk today. I'll start back up again tomorrow. I'm gonna add back my hour of stretching to see if I can firm up my butt & thighs. All those sugary desserts went straight there! I wish the fat would go to my face!

Status
Not open for further replies.